Information for airgun hunting on IL public lands

Here is the official list of IL public land sites 
that allow hunting with an airgun (marked by 3) and rimfire (marked by 1).

http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/017/017006900000300R.html

This list refers to small game like squirrel, IL doesn't allow airgun for deer. In the locations where I have asked, coyote was okay.

If you would like to ask the IL DNR for more access for airgun hunting, your DNR contact is [email protected] I plan to ask that, at a minimum, all the places that are already open for rimfire hunting should be open to airgun as well.

Maybe we can get something going!

Last I checked, rifles are not allowed for hunting AT ALL in IL. Because of that, the last time I went to public land for squirrel hunting, I drove down to Indiana, where folks were mostly hunting them with .22 and shotgun. (I used a 22LR) If I had known then what I know now, I would have used subsonics. (I didn't have airguns back then)

Anyway, my point is that when you ask, don't ask compared to rimfire, but compared to shotgun. :)

Thanks for the link. I bet it wasn't easy to find.

Over 700fps, or if it's over .18 caliber. So by definition, a target rifle like the Crosman Challenger PCP that shoots .177 at ~550fps, would not be classified as a firearm. 

But that rule really applies to ownership and FOID. When it comes to hunting regulations, the DNR still treats airguns and firearms differently. 

Then there is the third catch-22 of moderators and hunting. IL is one of the remaining states where hunting with a silencer on a firearm is illegal. I brought this up with the DNR officer as it regards air guns. He said that "suppressors are legal, silencers are not", further saying that suppressors reduce noise and silencers remove it. (He referenced Websters dictionary for the terms as their guideline). I found this rather vague and pressed for more clarity. He finally said if it screws on, it's illegal. I think there is a lot of room in this for onsite interpretation that may sadly turn some airgunner into a test case. As for myself, I would only use a fully shrouded barrel or an unmoderated rifle to avoid controversy. (in order to avoid freaking out the owners of this forum, I would not encourage or continue any other discussion on this point. I just want folks to be aware of IL law as interpreted to me by an IL agent.)

Well, your apport is great!! (thanks again)
"Attached" moderators might be illegal...That is why the benjamin marauder came from factory with bull barrel with "encapsulated" (shrouded) "noise reduction inside"...that was an absolut master piece in my opinion...(super smart decision)
Another thing is reapeters with a magazine with more than 10 bullets/pellets are another element of controversy and once again Benjamin marauder magazines are good "in law" boys.

Mrods are the best planned airguns in our country, they fit within the law everywhere.

Good old fashioned american made.
Accesible price (not "cheap")
Superb precision.
Silent.

that's why I have two of them...
Thanks mobilmail!!

"fredfable"Well, your apport is great!! (thanks again)
"Attached" moderators might be illegal...That is why the benjamin marauder came from factory with bull barrel with "encapsulated" (shrouded) "noise reduction inside"...that was an absolut master piece in my opinion...(super smart decision)
Another thing is reapeters with a magazine with more than 10 bullets/pellets are another element of controversy and once again Benjamin marauder magazines are good "in law" boys.

Mrods are the best planned airguns in our country, they fit within the law everywhere.

Good old fashioned american made.
Accesible price (not "cheap")
Superb precision.
Silent.
Not only that, Fred, but just in case there is STILL an issue, the shroud cap can be unscrewed and the baffles easily dumped out, to make it "properly" loud again. They're just as easily replaced, when the time comes.

I love my Marauder too, but only have one in .177.

I may be mistaken, but I believe they have removed the fps limit on .177s in IL, which is part of why I only own .177s. My 18 FPE, .18 cal Marauder hits squirrels like a tiny sledgehammer with wadcutter or hollow point ammo. I admit though, I probably wont' get another Marauder. My next PCP I think, is going to be a .177 Brocock Compatto. Only 16 FPE,but semi-bullpup, with a Walther barrel, and better trigger too.

...or I might just stick to my trusty ol' Marauder and get the Beeman R9 I've been thinking about. 

Back on topic, they're not American-made. I have a 1st gen. Marauder, which is marked Made in the USA, but they got into some legal trouble after that and had to remove the bold claim. I guess not quite a high enough percentage was made here?

Super precision? Meh, I don't know about that. I love mine, and it is quite precise next to most springers, but I have to admit that it is not near the top of the class for PCPs. I would say 'very good precision.' The rest, I agree with wholeheartedly.

"cosmic"Wow, they are allowed to supersede federal law.. Feds do not classify airguns as firearms so suppressors silencers on airguns are ok with them...
I've been trying to just approach one battle at a time, with hope of a better chance of success. That is why I specifically asked for expanded airgun access for small game hunting. The other questions regarding noise and big game hunting are legitimate discussions...one thing at a time. A bite, not a mouthful. :)

"mobilemail"Over 700fps, or if it's over .18 caliber. So by definition, a target rifle like the Crosman Challenger PCP that shoots .177 at ~550fps, would not be classified as a firearm. 

But that rule really applies to ownership and FOID. When it comes to hunting regulations, the DNR still treats airguns and firearms differently. 

Then there is the third catch-22 of moderators and hunting. IL is one of the remaining states where hunting with a silencer on a firearm is illegal. I brought this up with the DNR officer as it regards air guns. He said that "suppressors are legal, silencers are not", further saying that suppressors reduce noise and silencers remove it. (He referenced Websters dictionary for the terms as their guideline). I found this rather vague and pressed for more clarity. He finally said if it screws on, it's illegal. I think there is a lot of room in this for onsite interpretation that may sadly turn some airgunner into a test case. As for myself, I would only use a fully shrouded barrel or an unmoderated rifle to avoid controversy. (in order to avoid freaking out the owners of this forum, I would not encourage or continue any other discussion on this point. I just want folks to be aware of IL law as interpreted to me by an IL agent.)

Sounds like you were talking to someone who didn't really know. It never gives you much confidence when people give you nonsensical answers like that. It would be better if they just said "I don't know" or better yet, "let me check with somebody who does". 

For a start, there is no such thing as a device that eliminates the noise of a firearm or airgun completely. The terms silencer, moderator, LDC, can etc are all used interchangeably to describe a device filled with baffles designed to reduce the report. 

Even saying "if it screws on, you can't use it" doesn't really help. Guns like the Marauder or Hatsan QE line that have full shrouds can still be unscrewed. It might not be as easy but they can definitely be removed with an unscrewing motion. The only ones that can't are the ones that are glued in place like the Ataman Ultra Compact (although glue can be removed and then the device can be unscrewed). 

It's so irresponsible of them to not think through a law properly or be able to clarify it, given the potential consequences for somebody who guesses wrong. 

The issue starts with the laziness of insisting on describing air guns above a certain power level as "firearms" instead of drafting a separate definition. In federal law, a "Silencer" is a device that reduces the report of a firearm. It's enforced by the Alphabet org and air guns are specifically not classified as firearms and not under Alphabet org jurisdiction. There is still plenty of room for confusion but that part is somewhat clear. 

Hunting law is different. It is enforced at a State level and in States where they lump Air guns in with firearms under legal definitions, they almost universally seem to fail to mention (or have thought through) how the restrictions on hunting with moderators apply to shrouded barrel air rifles.

At a federal level, a firearm silencer is considered a firearm in it's own right (legally). If a State classes air guns as firearms, we don't really know how they think of shrouded air guns. On a regular firearm, you couldn't legally attach a shroud with baffles (without a license), even if you glued or welded it to the barrel. Whether it unscrews or not is irrelevant or all firearms would come with permanently attached shrouds.

The issue about if it unscrews or not was only relevant in a scenario where air rifles are not considered firearms. The specific concern was if the shroud or moderator could be screwed onto a firearms barrel, making it a firearm on it's own. If the air gun is a firearm already, the point has no meaning. It has even less meaning in state hunting law which is focussed on preventing hunting with silencers on firearms, not preventing their possession completely. There is no reason for them to even consider what you "could" do, only if you are using it to hunt or not.

I would say that the majority of PCP rifles sold today come with shrouded barrels with baffles. If they are going to allow air rifles for hunting, they need to clearly state the rules on shrouds, one way or the other. None of this "if it unscrews" nonsense. For now, in those states, it might even be better if you had something like a Cricket where the shroud can be quickly removed for hunting trips to avoid problems until the wording of the law is clarified properly and out of the realm of opinion. Even if they confirmed in writing that gluing the shroud in place so it couldn't unscrew made it ok, that would be helpful.

While there is no army of Alphabet org troopers storming homes to check air rifles, I have seen police stop hunters and inspect their equipment. It isn't that unusual. All they need is a sentence added to the wording and no more issue. 

"fredfable"
"mobilemail"I got a respomse from Ofc. Rollins that he is sending it up the food chain. Email him!

Lets send them some candies....even when they are carnivores...

Smaug...I meant "detachable" moderators...marauders are shrouded from factory, they are OK.
And I said "might"...(there are some extreme "to serve and protect guys" everywhere)
Yep, that is a disaster. My Compatto was ordered with a Huggett moderator, and the note at straightshooters.com says it is 'permanently attached'. I expect to find it welded on, or maybe screwed on with red loctite on the threads. I'm not sure how that is any safer than if it were removeable, but there you have it.

On the other hand, consider this: if The Powers that Be were to sit down and draft laws just for airguns, they might decide to totally castrate us, as they have done to airguns in Canada. (500 fps limit?) That has pretty much killed the adult airgun market in Canada; might as well just get a 22 rimfire and subsonic ammo.

Or partially castrate, as they have done in the UK. (12 FPE limit) I think Germany's law is even more restrictive.

We've got it pretty good, for the time being. Let's just shut up and deal with it, lest they decide to add more bureaucracy and make it even harder.