• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Inexpensive rifle for backyard squirrel pesting

A friend had asked me about what rifle would work for keeping his backyard squirrel population down. He doesn’t want to spend a lot so I imagine he would probable be better off using a springer as PCP rifle plus compressor is more than what he wants to spend. Can some of you recommend a setup that would work for him . His shooting would be 50 yards or less and it will need to be quite as his neighborhood is full of tree huggers. He doesn’t live close to me or I would loan him one of mine. I don’t think he wants to spend over $300.

If he is new to air gunning, I would recommend any of the nitro piston rifles. Springers are great but with the nitro you can leave it cocked without having to worry about trashing a spring (would not recommend leaving it cocked with pellet for extended periods, safety issue). With the nitro, the infamous "Artillery Hold" is somewhat mitigated. Several manufacturers make them. Crosman has several great weapons under 300. If he joins AGN, he can use the 25% discount and get a good deal from Crosman. Not knocking the brands and models mentioned above, they are all first class. Just adding an alternative. I have always had great service from Crosman and they back their products.

Try to find a used RWS 34 in .22 with a scope. There might be some Black Friday or Christmas deals coming up that would get a new scoped RWS 34 near $300. Although 50 yards might be a stretch without lots of practice. When I shot mine almost every day, I could hit rabbit heads out to 40 yards when supported (still able to use artillery hold). The paper targets past 40 yards told me not to try shots on animals past that.

Cabelas has a great deal on rws 34, 22 cal. with scope, on sale for 229.00. I have a 34 and it is accurate out to 50 yds with jsb 15.89 pellets.

I couldn't find this deal online, but I did find that Cabelas is selling the 34P Combo with the synthetic stock for $149 and shipping is free. Even if you assume the scope is utterly worthless, that seems like a heck of a deal for a German-made springer! I also like the idea of the aforementioned Walther Terrus, but I haven't shot one. But the RWS is the same price AND has free shipping - seems like that is a really remarkable value. Has anybody shot both and can offer an opinion?

Cabelas has a great deal on rws 34, 22 cal. with scope, on sale for 229.00. I have a 34 and it is accurate out to 50 yds with jsb 15.89 pellets.

I couldn't find this deal online, but I did find that Cabelas is selling the 34P Combo with the synthetic stock for $149 and shipping is free.

That price is only for the .177 cal. The .22 cal is $335