• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Inexpensive and easy to assemble backstop

I recently made this backstop and thought others might benefit from seeing what I used. I read about lots of other folks using a bucket filled with rubber mulch so I figured I'd give it a try.

Here's the bucket:
$5.55 each (minimum order 5)
6p8kg9a.jpg

And lid $1.45 (minimum order 5).
6jTnyPV.jpg

Available here: https://www.uline.com/BL_8172/Square-Pails

Filled with this: https://www.lowes.com/pd/RePlay-0-8-cu-ft-Brown-Rubber-Playground-Mulch/3199701
(RePlay 0.8-cu ft Brown Rubber Playground Mulch) $6.94

One bag filled the 4 gallon bucket with some left over. I also put an old t-shirt over the rubber mulch to keep down spills once the lid begins to get too many holes. Later, I'll cut a square out of the lid and tape on Coroplast or similar.

It's a solid backstop I just need to figure how I want to affix my target clip/holder. I'll post a few pics of the completed project soon.

I realize the 5 minimum order might be an issue for some but as for me, I can always use extra buckets. :)

Apologies for the seemingly random "." - I could not get the editor to reflect my paragraphs..

"Saltlake58"I skipped the bucket, got a cardboard box, filled it with rubber mulch, duct taped it till it was completely covered, and started shooting. Whenever it starts to leak, just add tape. Works like a charm
I've done that as well and it does work very well. Unfortunately, I'm shooting at an indoor archery range and have to bring my own backstop.

"Alan"Almost any plastic you use, will cause an inordinate amount of noise when struck with a pellet. Even soft cardboard, carpet, and pillow foam, can make too much noise for backyard shooting.
You're right Alan, it is a bit loud shooting into the plastic lid (much louder than my gun in fact!). 

I might end up cutting out a square on the lid and using carpet, cardboard, or similar in the primary impact area.

You might be able to get the square bucket for free. Check with people you know that have cats. Some brands of kitty litter come in square buckets. 
+1 on rubber mulch traps.
I have built two wooden box / rubber mulch traps. After thousands (at least 4000 in .25); not a single pass thru. The mulch in my traps is about 12 in deep.

Reactions: jp_over
"Rodeo"You might be able to get the square bucket for free. Check with people you know that have cats. Some brands of kitty litter come in square buckets. 
+1 on rubber mulch traps.
I have built two wooden box / rubber mulch traps. After thousands (at least 4000 in .25); not a single pass thru. The mulch in my traps is about 12 in deep.
Good to know; thanks!

"Tazhunter0"Check with local Animal Control, animal shelters, or rescue groups to see if they use the square buckets with cat litter. You might be able to get them for free. Also you can get laundry detergent in square buckets also.
Trade pest birds for buckets. Painters and rock board worker have a lot of paint and mud buckets that they empty on daily bases. I'm lucky enough to get 5 gal buckets at no charge, they round but works great. Just rotate bucket to keep from shooting too big of a hole. I just tape my target to the bucket with clear packing tape. 

Reactions: jp_over
"Saltlake58"I skipped the bucket, got a cardboard box, filled it with rubber mulch, duct taped it till it was completely covered, and started shooting. Whenever it starts to leak, just add tape. Works like a charm
When it starts to fall apart too much...or you just say lets do a new box....suggestion as I just did this:

Wear a mask....the rubber actually gets dusty....I am guessing rubber bits and lead dusts....not that great. Forget about picking up the box and dumping it....mine was in such bad shape I could not pick it up....I just slid it across the floor. I would also wear gloves....horrid freight has cheap rubber gloves, get the black ones, a little more, but very heavy.

Don't bother with the lead stuck in there....the pellets are fun to look at, but getting them out...no point.

Ever dig a hole and the dirt never fills the hole again....yup mulch is the same way.