N/A Inertia Assisted, Lightweight Top Hat

I remember hearing about somebody working on something like this where they were using a compound or polymer gel that would be liquid in one state and quickly harden in another. I don't remember the details. I'm probably wrong but I think it was called a kinetic fluid. I believe it was Hector Medina who was mentioning it. He's likely your go to person if you want to know more. Here's a research article that's seems like its talking about the physics of this kind of thing:

High-velocity impact of solid objects on Non-Newtonian Fluids​

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-37543-1

Iow, its a fluid but, if you impact it with enough energy, it acts like a solid. You don't need mercury.

Reactions: beerthief
I remember hearing about somebody working on something like this where they were using a compound or polymer gel that would be liquid in one state and quickly harden in another. I don't remember the details. I'm probably wrong but I think it was called a kinetic fluid. I believe it was Hector Medina who was mentioning it. He's likely your go to person if you want to know more. Here's a research article that's seems like its talking about the physics of this kind of thing:

High-velocity impact of solid objects on Non-Newtonian Fluids​

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-37543-1

Iow, its a fluid but, if you impact it with enough energy, it acts like a solid. You don't need mercury.
nice idea , but i think this application tungsten round bar stock might work best ? just a guess on my part

in the 7th grade my science teacher poured a dime size puddle of mercury into the palm of my hand , i then poured said mercury into the next student's hand and so on down till all the students in class had a chance to experience this liquid stuff . Imaging the lawsuits now .

m
When I was a young lad, my Dad brought home tubes of mercury for us kids to play with. We touched it over and over and used the kitchen table where we ate our dinner as our place ro play with it. Of course we also drank out of a garden hose and learned to handle firearms safely by age 10. There were four of us kids, I am the youngest at 73, all are still kickin !

Tungsten would likely work but it gets expensive and I'm shooting for a low cost build. As of now I'm thinking a softer buffer and either a very small breather hole or do breather hole up front would work better. That will create a small air cushion that may prevent deformation when the brass piston moves to the forward position

Reactions: dgeesaman
Tungsten would likely work but it gets expensive and I'm shooting for a low cost build. As of now I'm thinking a softer buffer and either a very small breather hole or do breather hole up front would work better. That will create a small air cushion that may prevent deformation when the brass piston moves to the forward position
this is why i said Tungsten so it would not deform with so many impacts , but then again ? maybe it would deform what it is striking ?

Reactions: Sqwirl57
How's the accuracy? before and after modifications?
30 yards and 55 yards
12FPE version?
I'll find out this weekend at some point (probably Sunday). This was a 40yd group from a seated WFTF position at 14ftlbs with the factory top hat but some spring modification.

Screenshot_20231124-184138_Range Buddy.jpg

this is why i said Tungsten so it would not deform with so many impacts , but then again ? maybe it would deform what it is striking ?
There is a lot of force going through the insert I would imagine. I figure that its probably moving a couple hundred miles an hour and then slamming into the piston bouncing backwards at a pretty significant rate as well. Without some sort of cushion I think any sort of solid mass is going to eventually get deformed which is probably why so many Theobens rams had seized weights. A tungsten weight may not deform but I imagine it would hammer the heck out of the piston and eventually cause an issue

Last edited:
Reactions: markhooper
I think you would need to weld ? and what would the heat do to it ?
with mercury would it be marketable ?
I'm going to listen to everyone's advice and pass on the mercury idea. Aside from being expensive its definitely not a safe idea. I have a MIG welder though so if need be that is an option.

Come to think of it the solution may be as simple as an enclosed system with a weight of sorts topped off with hydraulic fluid. Its cheap and compresses so it should transfer the weight of the insert into the piston without the weight moving forward much. Just a thought
note, hydraulic fluid does not compress at all.. air does.. however if you put hydraulic fluid in with the correct amount of spacing it will be the same as a port and only allow a certain rate of movement.. but then it will likely stay at the end if you don't have any spring return.. just like a hydraulic jack, either has a spring, weight or like a bottle jack you have to push to retract it..
as far as the idea of sliding tungsten.. that will be a lot harder to machine and well I'm not sure about the impact but I think it will likely pound a hole right through the piston.. and I have no idea how the piston will deform.. plus tungsten, depending on the grade can be hard and brittle..
just thoughts.. but hydraulic fluid will not compress, although I think it would make not only a good lubricant, but also like I mentioned I think it would be a cushion with the right clearance or porting..
Mark

Reactions: Sqwirl57