• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Indoor shooting

This wasn’t my idea , but I found it in the web somewhere... A great pellet and .22LR trap is a box filled with rubber mulch. The only cost is the mulch, about $15. I took a cardboard box about 3’ x 2’ x 1.5’ , filled it with two bags of rubber mulch, and inserted another smaller box and sheets of cardboard snugly in the open end to hold it all in. It is recessed about 8” to retain the paper and cardboard debris that accumulates while shooting. I attached a couple of clips on the top edge of the box open end to suspend targets. It’s very silent, all you hear is the gun report. The rounds just collect in the mulch. A std velocity 22 is stopped at about 12” in the mulch which is 2’ deep. I replace the retainer sheets of cardboard and inner box when pieces of mulch start falling through, maybe 1000 rds or so? I like having the paper targets suspended in mid air, you get nice clean holes in the target and a small flashlight at the bottom of the opening out of harms way makes them easy to see.

I shoot in my basement all winter. (Nov - March) I shoot .177 PCP target rifles. 19 yards wasn't enough, so I cut a hole in the wall (one side is studded) and put a 18" tube out to a box that houses the pellet trap. (box with rubber mulch) Now I can shoot 25 yards (indoors). I do have to walk outside to change targets, but it's worth it for me. 

Chas

Raining here today too. I just go to the sunroom, open the door and shoot from there to a couple of spinner targets I have at 30 and 50 yards 😉

1544880807_14507476785c1502a73dc305.93970391_IndoorShooting1.jpg

1544880835_6852585695c1502c377d4b2.49341074_IndoorShooting2.jpg

I set up a basement range about six years ago when I was rebuilding and testing the old CO2 Schimel pistols. Added a chronograph later which works flawlessly after I used the proper indoor lighting. An old steel bullet trap I bought some 65 years ago (when I was a lot younger) works very well to shoot into. After I found a lot of lead dust on the shooting stand I switched to lead free pellets. I now have started to collect and shoot PCPs and the setup works very well. I expect that the steel bullet trap would handle and pcp caliber.

Shoot in my garage, either 8 yds if actually inside the garage, or 10 yds if I open the laundry room door. If it's too cold out and the garage is below 55 F then I stick to 8 yds with the door closed. Shooting a variety of guns all in .177: Daisey/Avanti 853 10m with peep sights; two different Gamo youth rifles, the G2 Tactical and the Recon G2; Crosman F4 detuned Nitro Piston; Beeman P-17 over-lever pneumatic pistol; Marauder factory standard tuned to ~12 ft. lbs. My heaviest pellet traps are heavy-duty cardboard boxes filled with rubber mulch topped by old T-shirts, then shut up and fully wrapped in duct tape. I shoot into the T-shirt side of the box to extend the life of the "shooting face" of the trap, then just re-wrap with relatively inexpensive duct tape. I also use Duct Seal putty in many applications to quiet the pellet strike and capture the pellets at the same time. I have an old Remington steel pellet trap that I line with Duct Seal to both prevent ricochets and reduce the deformation of the steel backing when shooting up close or with heavier calibers. I even have old pizza boxes filled with layers of other cardboard pieces cut to fit the outer box and sealed with duct tape. These I use when shooting the P-17 or the Avanti 10m since they are both very low power. Like many others have pointed out on this site, I always back my pellet traps with several layers of hardened wood as a fail-safe should a shot penetrate any of my traps... or if I manage to zing a pellet off in an unexpected direction by nicking a target or misfire. Indoor shooting is a must in colder climates but expect the unexpected.

I shoot in my basement @ 10 yards. I shoot in my shop @ 15 yards. My favorite is we have a short distance silhouette competition @ my shop where we open one garage door about 4 feet, we stand at the other end of the shop (15 yards from the door so we are warm and dry ) and we shoot out into the yard outside my shop which is 1 floor below street level, surrounded by walls on 3 sides 15 feet high. NRA silhouettes @ 18 yrds for chickens.....23 yrds for pigs......28 yrds for turkeys.......32 yrds for rams. I have 7 HW30'S now all with Hawke 4-12 scopes we use. Great way to get through a rainy day.