• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Indoor range designs

Hi guys
I'm curious about the various ways people have built/are building indoor ranges. Not commercial ventures, just basement or spare room ranges, as far as pellet traps etc. I have a 1500 yd outdoor range here on my ranch, but my hands were frostbitten pretty badly years ago, when I lived in Alaska, and even our mild Texas winters are hard on my hands now, especially trying to do things requiring fine motor skills sans gloves. I was considering adding a 75 ft indoor range in my shop, which is a large metal building that is heated and air conditioned. I have room for a 25 yard shot, but I certainly don't want to punch holes in the roll up door! I welded together a pipe A frame and hung 8 thicknesses of heavy tarp from it, which stopped everything I shot at it with no problem, but it is unwieldy and heavy, and frankly in the way much of the time. I'd like to hear about any successful pellet stop you know of or have used, to help in my quest for a more mobile "backing wall" for my little range.

Thanks! Any idea is welcome, you never know what will stimulate another idea.

Cheers!

James

I use rubber mulch inside an 11x8.5x7 box. I first saw it here on Ted's Holdover.

http://www.tedsholdover.com/2014/01/05/pellet-traps-the-okay-and-the-great/

​It even stops 22 rimfire bullets. I've since built myself a wooden box with a thin 1/4" sacrificial cover plate to hold the mulch in. I ripped a whole bunch of blanks to replace the cover plate when it stops doing it's job of holding the mulch in. It's much easier to pin the target paper on a nice flat surface than a banged up cardboard box.
​It's a much preferable backstop to my steel pellet trap. It makes no noise and the you don't end up with as much lead dust in your shop.

I second using a big box full of rubber mulch.
I practice 10 meter in my basement standing and kneeling. Super quiet and stops 20 fpe .177 no problem.

4c5d36e6bfd4fbfa242932eabc2531cb.jpg

Not that it would need to be this heavy since you're only shooting pellets, but, this video might give someone like you some ideas. With your resources and fabrication skills, something like this might make for a fun project. AND, you can recycle the lead without contaminating it or have to sift through a pile of rubber mulch to retrieve it.

Enjoy the video

The basic design could be used, but in a much smaller and lighter and portable fashion. The thickness of the material would be determined by the weight and velocity (FPE) you're shooting. Anything from sheet metal to light gauge steel would be sufficient for most pellets. Just weld a carry handle on top or use castors.

BeemanR7

I don't know if it still exists, but, years ago I took my Beeman R7 to an airgun repairman in Montezuma Iowa for a rebuild. I was stunned by what I saw there. Inside the building was an indoor range. It was made of 36 inch diameter steel culvert approximately 25 yards long and elevated to shooting height. In the top of the culvert pipe he had affixed a cable operated trolly to retrieve the target frame. There was a shooting bench that was lighted on one end, and target frame with lights at the other. What a cool setup!!! This is where he tested all the guns that he sold or repaired. It kept all the workers and customers in the shop safe. I've always dreamed of having an indoor range like his. But I don't have a building. Mine would have to be fabricated outdoors with steel legs to hold up the culvert sections to shooting height secure enough to withstand severe wind. But it would still be way cool. But if I had a building like yours, I'd build a trap like the one in the video above and put in front of it a 36 inch culvert 75 feet long with trolly and lights and the whole shebang!

Those are all some interesting ideas, thanks guys! I'm intrigued by the culvert pipe idea...you would have not only a safe "range" but also a wind-free environment, a way to remove one of the variables. Add a ransom rest and you could truly check the accuracy of a gun, without most weather influences or the human frailty involved. Very interesting idea!

Generally speaking, few if any shooters are as accurate as their gun is, anyway...but you could really dial in a scope (Or any sight) with such a setup. Put it inside with controlled humidity and temperature and you really have a controllable, stable shooting environment.

Thanks!

If you hhave the space and means do build a shooting tunnel.
A few airgun folks have done this over the years - mostly outdoors tho- . Years ago one fellow used to work with a dealer and for only $100.00 extra the accuracy of your barrel could be guaranteed. Weld? Used 55gal. drums are between $5.00 and free around here.

I've only tried to collect lead and used a 6" steel elbow with note cards hung in front.

Post up pictures when you work things out.

John

That culvert idea is genius. I highly recommend the rubber mulch as a catch-all at the target end. I use 20 lbs in a small/medium sized box - I cover the "Shooting face" with the foam from a cheap yoga mat I cut up into sections. The foam lasts longer than the underlying cardboard, can be replaced over and over, and when the box itself seems full enough of lead just scoop out the mulch with care to sift the lead into a tub or bucket. Fill the lead/mulch bucket with water and watch most of your mulch float for reuse. Good way to collect the lead for recycling too.

I think i'm going to start with a relatively short distance- maybe 7 yards- and build a sort of cradle system to support culvert pipe at bench level, and on the receiving end I believe I'll weld together a version of the system in the above video, posted by BeemanR7. Some 1/2" plate angled into a slit cut in a piece of pipe is very simple and seems very effective.For shooting higher calibers I believe I'd hang a piece of horse mat right in front of the trap, rounds would penetrate it easily enough but ricochets would more than likely be stopped from coming back, on the off chance one occurred. I hadn't considered building something that I could fire firearms through as well, but this seems simple and cheap enough. I can put the entire assembly on castors, and it will be mobile within the shop, at least.

Gotta get this built before Texas heat comes back!!

Thank guys...great ideas from everyone!

I do the rubber mulch in a box idea. I use old computer case cardboard boxes....they are a nice size.

As to the lead it does get heavy after a while, but like the other poster said, just dump the mulch in a tub of water, the lead sinks to the bottom and you are set.

I gave the lead to a friend that casts...he said it does not cast well....so I think our lead has a lot of some other metal other than tin. YMMV

My Indoor Basement Range:
I collect new yellow pages phone books for my basement range. Most grocery stores have them
for free here when you first walk in. Two phone books taped together for air rifles; Four taped together
for 22lr, 22mag, and 9mm (hollow points only). I have marks on my basement floor for 7, 10, and 
15 yards. I also have the phone books backed up with a hard wood plank from old shelving. The
only downside to this is cleanup. Small pieces of paper get every where from the books...LOL..
At the 15 yard line; I put a pillow on top of my hot water heater for a gun rest. This range keeps
my shooting skills up to par until I can go else where and shoot at long distances outside; Or
at an indoor range to shoot at 25 yards.

8a605684157d6820d95ce383d0fbedc5.jpg