Indexing Barrel liners in FX Impact - FX Wildcat

Well, dang it. Thought I was done. After reading your reply above, Chuck, I’m going back in. But it’s all good. I had indexed for highest POI but now I need to hunt for the tightest group. I didn’t think rotating the barrel liner would also have an affect on groups. But there you are. 

So before going back in, I’m shooting at 60y with MKII I’m getting average groups of 0.695” with best at 0.47”

With MKI it’s a bit more at 0.734” average and best is 0.50. 

Shooting at around 145Bar for 890 f/s out of my gen 1 Imact. 

The saga continues.....

KP/NC

Drumsnguns, with accuracy that good I would not bother indexing your liner because I doubt you will get it to shoot any better than that. But what I would do is make an indelible registration mark on the muzzle end of the liner at the 12:00 position for future reference. So that if you ever take it out for any reason you will know where to put it back the same way.

Thanks Chuck,

I appreciate the input. Really enjoy reading your posts. Always informative. I will do just that and re-mark the 12:00 index point.

Just a note. With all groups I get that one flier while 4 group in a ragged hole or touching; otherwise those groups would be amazing. FYI this is Pellet liner A. Pellet washed and lubed w Krytech but not weighted or sorted.

Pictures of targets from the last post I made above.

1554302134_12829267685ca4c4b69a56d7.03216575_60y Impact MKI_040219.jpg

1554302175_5320219645ca4c4df2f0e93.89578498_60y Impact MKII.jpg

HA! The groups look great except for the dreaded flyer! :) I know it is a lot of trouble, but if you want to eliminate the flyers try cleaning your pellets and then weighing them to one tenth of a grain like I do, and instead of Krytech just try lubing them with Napier Pellet Lube. (NapierUSA) When I weigh these 34 MKI or MKII I get weights ranging from 32.8 grains all the way up to 34.9 grains and everything in between. Here is a pic of that for you...

1554377668_12132511335ca5ebc411a071.85149494_20181207_170938.jpg

1554377701_12318210525ca5ebe5e66930.05259981_20181206_171638.jpg

Chuck, I know that you are exactly right in what you say. I actually have some Napier’s in the tool box. The first time I tried it I didn’t like the oil on my fingers. But by the same token Kryteck, though dryer, is a known carcinogen so there’s than. I’ll try Napier’s again. 

And I’ll have to sit down in front of the TV with my scales and weigh a few tins while watching re-runs of old Gilligan’s Island, (and FYI, IMO, Maryann was way hotter than Ginger).

Will get back out when the winds finally die down and see how it does. 

Great photos of your elaborate setup. 

BTW how much Napier’s do you use?

I might do a test of Napier’s vs Kryteck 

Thanks for the tip. 

KP/NC

Drumsnguns, the majority of pellets will weigh from 33.5-34.4 grains. You just have to shoot some of each on a nice day and see which ones work best for you. I have a .25 Wildcat Original with the Smooth Twist barrel and the most accurate ones for me are the 34.1 & 34.2... I call these "Magic Beans"! :) I love to watch them drop through the same hole on the target at 50 yards just effortlessly...as if they had GPS and know where to go all by themselves! I save the best ones for special occasions and shoot up all the oddballs for plinking at steel spinners.

Some thing else you will notice when your shooting pellets over your chronograph that all weight the same to within a tenth of a grain is the vast number of "duplicates". Sometimes its as if your chrono is stuck on duplicates! I have my .25 Wildcat set up to shoot the MKI at 895 ft/s...with an extreme spread of 4, and a standard deviation of .86 ft/s. Not long ago I shot her over my chrono just to see whats up and got 897 ft/s seven times in a row! The only gun that I know of that equals mine is my friend Gabe Rossi's .25 Streamline. The first time we set his gun up together so he could learn how to do it, but I have to admit that the student has surpassed his teacher now. He is a member here and one hell of a shooter. If he ever offers to shoot against you for money, don't walk...run away! :)

Haha great story about your friend Gabe. And I’ll take your advice. I always wanted to pull a practical joke on a friend and challenge him/her to a shoot off. Them with a fresh unopened tin of JSB and me with an “unopened” tin of JSB “magic Beans”

Would just be for laughs to see the look on their face. 

Ill be buckling down soon to do a weigh-a-thon

do you clean first then weigh then live?

Thanks for the tips. 

KP

Now if will ever stop being winter in NC. 

Yes I clean them all with acetone first and then I clean them a second time with denatured alcohol, which leaves absolutely no residue. Then after they are completely dry I wear them to within a tenth of a grain and put them in clean cans with the weight marked on the lid. So that when I'm shooting everything in the magazine weighs exactly the same. I haven't seen a flyer like the ones you're getting since I started doing this so all I can say is the proof's in the pudding.

No, I throw the foam away because it wants to suck up the Napier off the pellets. I am not worried about the skirts of these big 34's because I am very careful with them. I spray a couple shots of Napier into a small Zip-lock back and then put the pellets in the bag and roll them all around. Then as I load my magazine I roll each pellet between my thumb and finger to make sure it is evenly coated. I don't care for spraying the Napier directly on the pellets because the inside of the skirt well on some of them gets loaded with it. Your welcome Drums...I believe you will be glad you did. 

Great thread guys, thanks, I have an impact on order, indexing the barrel was one of the things on my “to do” list when it finally arrives. Another is to devise a method of putting the barrel liner under tension rather than compression, so anchoring one end of the liner at the breech, then stretching it at the muzzle. Obviously this will require me to redesign the breech end of the barrel sleeve, so before I spend hours making it, can anyone see any disadvantages in the concept?

Bb

OK final thoughts from me.

Using the Xbarrel, Indexed for vertical POI and tightest groups. Took Chuck's advice and cleaned, weighed and lubed with Napiers. Shot targets this evening at 50 yards. 5-shot groups. 34.0gn MKII.

What an improvement! Thanks Chuck for the advice and thanks PaniSd for a great thread. I learned a lot.

Here's my target tonight using the weighed pellets in the indexed barrel:

1554860846_5222136685cad4b2ec36df8.98489578_thumbnail.jpg

BIG IMPROVEMENT!

Cheers,

KP/NC

NOTE: I should add that I cleaned the barrel and started shooting groups without re-seasoning. As you go L to R you can see things gradually tighten up til my last group, which was 0.25"
Man, 5 shots, 0.25" at 50y.! That impresses me that's for sure!

drumsnguns, I am so happy that you tried my way of doing things. That .25 in group at 50 yards with no Flyers is absolutely normal for me. Just one small hole! And when you dig the pellets out of the plywood backer they're just fused into a ball. I promise as long as you stick with this program you will never see another flyer, providing you do your part and don't accidentally pull a shot or push a shot.

Another small bit of advice is for you to remember to put only the pad of your finger on the trigger in the exact same spot each and every time. If you put the tip of your finger on the trigger your push your shots to the left, and if you put the crease of your finger on the trigger you'll pull your shots to the right. And either slowly squeeze the trigger or give it one quick snap all in one motion without taking up the slack in the first stage.

It's just a way of triggering the gun the same way each time and becomes a good habit that you do without even thinking. Keep up the good work you're doing my friend!

Chuck, at the risk of veering too far off course for this thread, thanks for the advise. I do try to do just that with my trigger finger and have found that I'm more consistent if I rotate my hand slightly upwards so there is a slight downward angle to my trigger finger. Don't know why that is but it works for me. I pulled that one shot probably because I was so excited to see three prior targets with no fliers....for the first time...haha.

This has been a very useful/educational thread for me. Indexing really has helped with getting the shot in line with things. and revisiting weighing cinched it! It's been too windy to do anything further, (there was a continuous 3-5 mph wind I was shooting into for the target above), out but I'm really interested in seeing groups at 100 yd and beyond.

Thanks again, for the first time I think I'd like to try my hand at some competition.

KP

Bb... think this can work. As long barrel is fixed poperly to breach end ... it can be good solution. Then will just depend what will be benefit from it. So first get groups on 100m and record, then do mod and see if there is any diference.

100m is a little optimistic, uk power limit is only 12fpe

i will definitely index the barrel and almost certainly put another under tension to see if there is any improvement. Most probably I will make the tension barrel sleeve from carbon tube rather than steel, it should be stiffer and much lighter.

Bb