• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Index wheel or scope with finer gradations for shorter distances

I need a way to dial in the scope for distances from 10 yards to 40 yards. The problem with my current scopes and the UTG add-on index wheel is that the have an index mark for 10 yards, 12 yards, and 25 yards. I want to have something with 2-yard gradations from 10 yards to 25 yards and not need to guess. My target kill zone is a 0.75" circle.

I now have white tape on the indexing wheel and mark the distances with a ballpoint pen - hardly ideal.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

hmm, in my experience, the markings can be off anyway, there are wheels with more markings,
but you may wish to verify everything anyway since nothing is better than real dope.

08-31-16-03-sidewheel.jpg

Who makes the wheel shown in the picture as that is exactly what I want for my airguns?
in the article, it says utg. of course these markings would be specific to a particular scope.

in the article, it says utg. of course these markings would be specific to a particular scope.

I did that with my Taipans. I took white stakes and wrote 10, 20, 30 etc. up to 60 on the top in small letters. I placed the stakes at corresponding yardage intervals. Then I put white adhesive tape on my parallax wheel, adjusted the parallax for each stake and recorded it on my tape. Now my parallax wheel gives me a good approximation for each 10 yard distance from 10 to 60 (my backyard range). Pests hate it!

I have UTG scopes and the only wheels available from UTG have markings for 10, 12, and 25 yards and not the 11,11,13,14,15,18,25 yards shown in the picture with the post. The devil is in the details.

Approximate is not good enough when taking out a squirrel at 18 yards and having to guess how much to adjust the elevation with a PCP rifle. No such concerns with a rimfire rifle but my neighbors would not be happy.

I'm finding the at 5 yard increments, my marks are almost on top of themselves. I was even thinking of going to 10 yard increments knowing that the 5 yard is right in the middle. My Crown mk2 is producing 953 fps at the muzzle .
Don't know your magnification power, but that really shouldn't be the case, at least not until the distance gets very long. To the OP, I use your method of pen marking on white plastic tape. Other than not looking too professional, it works fine. I'm also surprised that you need such fine graduations at the ranges you mention. Most of my yard squirrel eliminations are at 20-35 yards, shooting a 12 fpe .177 rifle, and using an older Sightron scope with AO. At these distances, I know the POI, and it doesn't vary enough to consider until in the 35-40 yard range. Even then, when I hold on the top of the head, or top of the shoulder, I almost always get a clean kill. Since I have known points of distance (certain trees), I find no need to even look at the scope. But back to the original question, since the distance markings are individually scope specific, then one way or other, it will probably have to be a home-made solution.

I did the same as you but with a 3d printed side wheel from eBay sighted in at 30 yds ,from 20 to 40 it’s dead on and is one half a mill every 5 yds after 40 holdover, below twenty one mill at ten half at 15, used a focus target to set my distances .One of the comma shaped wheels are easier than the round more room to write on mine was around 20 on eBay or Amazon,measure knob diameter in mm .who cares what it looks like as long as it works.