• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Increased lead fouling with slugs.

Hi Kids!

Months ago I bought another Impact for the express purpose of shooting slugs, specifically the FX Hybrids. Shortly after that I purchased a slug barrel and many thousands of Hybrids.

Health concerns, as well as the China Plague has severely limited my trigger time at the range, but I have managed to get some lead flung here at home.

When the Superior liner became available in .22 I immediately snagged one up as I have had good results in my .25 Crown and .25 Impact.

After initial positive results I started missing the critters I usually shoot, and some by quite a lot. 

The Chronograph didnt reveal anything out of the ordinary so I figured the barrel was gunked up even tho I had shot less than 400 rounds through it.

After 35 patches I was still seeing bits of lead, and the usual dirt!

35 freakin patches. And still dirty after 20 more.

I have yet to see if this is the case with the .25 Superior liners in my Crown or other Impact.

Anyway, I have decided to polish the barrel and see if that doesn't mitigate the lead fouling. I may try lubing the slugs as well. 

I have ordered JB bore paste and those barrel mop things but my question to y'all is the proper way to proceed. I'd had to mess it up more than it is already.

Thanks!

Valerie

Nervoustrig wrote something on this subject went something like this. 100 stokes total from breech to muzzle. first 25 strokes1/4 distance next 25 strokes 1/2 the distance next 25 3/4 then final 25 strokes full length breach to (just before the crown) never exiting the barrel as to not damage or misshape the crown. you could use tape on your cleaning rod to marf the depth for each series of stroke and even tape something to the muzzle end of the barrel to prevent the rod from accidently exiting. 

Nervoustrig wrote something on this subject went something like this. 100 stokes total from breech to muzzle. first 25 strokes1/4 distance next 25 strokes 1/2 the distance next 25 3/4 then final 25 strokes full length breach to (just before the crown) never exiting the barrel as to not damage or misshape the crown. you could use tape on your cleaning rod to marf the depth for each series of stroke and even tape something to the muzzle end of the barrel to prevent the rod from accidently exiting.

I'd be doing it to the liner out of the barrel so I wonder if avoiding the end of the barrel is unnecessary. 

I'm not sure if the barrel plug isnt where you'd consider to have the crown due to the STX design.

I guess you got the .217" slugs?

Any slug has much more surface contact with rifling over pellets; but try the .216" lubed FX Knockouts.

I'm personally dying to push a few of the alleged .215" Knockouts (that should be released in late Summer according to HAM) through my tight .22 Benchmark barrel. When I say tight I mean .215" and my .213" 2" choke may definitely need to be sacrificed. Or, I'll just pay Mark Chanlynn to recut the entire 29" barrel for Griffin .217's with only 0.0005" engagement.

If you were told only FX Hybrids will work. Someone straight up lied.

I wish you the best health/recovery possible. I shoot to forget. To become one with the rifle and wind, forget about life's issues. It can be therapeutic & feeling good helps all illness. Best of luck!

P.S. You try starting your baby with tower filled, 1st & 2nd stage closed? That start up knocking should disappear as long as a tiny bit of pressure is in there.

I guess you got the .217" slugs?

Any slug has much more surface contact with rifling over pellets; but try the .216" lubed FX Knockouts.

I'm personally dying to push a few of the alleged .215" Knockouts (that should be released in late Summer according to HAM) through my tight .22 Benchmark barrel. When I say tight I mean .215" and my .213" 2" choke may definitely need to be sacrificed. Or, I'll just pay Mark Chanlynn to recut the entire 29" barrel for Griffin .217's with only 0.0005" engagement.

If you were told only FX Hybrids will work. Someone straight up lied.

I wish you the best health/recovery possible. I shoot to forget. To become one with the rifle and wind, forget about life's issues. It can be therapeutic & feeling good helps all illness. Best of luck!

P.S. You try starting your baby with tower filled, 1st & 2nd stage closed? That start up knocking should disappear as long as a tiny bit of pressure is in there.

I havent tried the JSB Knockouts yet but initially I was using the NSA slugs. I found the Hybrids to be more accurate at the shorter distances I use this gun at. Also much more accurate in the Bantam HiLite I have, although that rifle will be replaced with a Wildcat eventually.

As far as the Alkin goes, i really havent got to use it much this summer. However I'll give your recommendation a shot today. Since it's been unused for a few weeks do I need to backfill the compressor from the tank first?

Just cleaned one of my Crowns even shooting lubed pellets and slugs, 5000 plus rounds. I could not believe the gray mud on the first few patches. Have used JB on a cotton swab bore brush and a coated rod (.17) on a .22 gun and 100 full length strokes. Improved on leading and accuracy. Now clean and lube all sluges and pellets with WD40 silicone and dry with air time or heated with hair dryer.

Sadly with a LOT of air gunners in recent years having little to no Powder Burner gun experience, the lessons of LEAD BULLET fouling were never learned and it seems little gets said by those that do.

SOLID LEAD much above 800 fps will start smearing in a barrels bore .... faster ya push em ... worse the fouling.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHY powder guns when shooting lead HARDEN there bullet lead with tin etc .... Creates less fouling.

We with Air Gun and the common use of choked bores need full soft lead .... And There You Have It !!!

Scott S

You might try powdered Molybdenum disulfide. Some PB shooters swear by it. They also make powder coating for slugs but I haven’t tried it yet.You will probably have to try a lot of different lubes and see what works best for that particular barrel.

JB makes Bore Paste and Bore Shine for barrels. I have used them both for decades on PB s. You can buy it at Midway USA or Brownell’s 

Some company makes a centering cone and rod stop for cleaning rods. I saw it on the internet and made my own. Cone keeps you centered in bore ( no scraping ) and stop keeps you going to far and getting hung up and scraping. MM

I have one FX in .22 caliber with a 600mm Superior Liner and three .25 FX’s with a combination of 600mm & 700mm Superior Liners. The liners come clean with only using Patch-worm and 5 to 6 patches. The first three patches have a few drops of Ballistol and the last two or three dry. Gets the all the tiny bits of lead out usually with the first or second patch, then the patches start to go clean every time. I shoot both (JSB)pellets and (NSA)slugs. The need for this cleaning is rare. All my other FX barrels and liner types were and are no different. They are cleaned the same way and the results are the same also.

I agree with motorhead,well put sir. What velocities r u throwing them out there at? Getting the lead smear out is hard ,time consuming work. Once cleaned of the lead fouling do the JB Bore Paste routine. 177 bore mop should work. Have a couple xtra mops on hand,,never know right? Drop the FPS to 700 FPS, record a group. Put 10 shots thru the rifle and then inspect the bore. Run patches till clean and increase FPS in your preferred increments,record group and repeat. Oh, definitely lube your bullets. There's a thousand home recipes for bullet lube. Something called { Moose Snot } is highly touted in the Black-Powder Muzzleloading hobby ,lol I recommend Ballistol. Kroil oil is an option, I once saw a thread that recommended Hornady One Shot Case Lube that I thought might be a good idea. Then theres BeesWax and Tranny fluid,,yea I don't think so either,lol Let us know what remedy,s u r trying.

Well, I used one mop ans about 50 patches today. Some with JB some with ballistol and some dry. I noticed during the last 5 or so dry patches there was still some lead although the patch was otherwise clean. I'm fixin to go get another rod so I can use nylon, and if needed bronze brushes.

I also washed 500 slugs and I have to say that I have never had so much ceap come off any projectile I have ever used. Obscene really, and might explain why my barrel is do fouled.

Once they have dried I will roll them round on some foam with teflon lube.

After washing/rinsing the slugs twice, then rolling them in teflon I noticed a lot more slivers of lead in the bottom of the container.

I wont be buying the hybrids again, at least in .22, not until they actually figure out how to finish the process adequately.

I cant imagine the mess they make in a non STX barrel.

Hopefully the teflon will mitigate the barrel fouling.

I got a fx liner to stop fouling really bad by pushing a slug thru carefully and marking the tight spots and then working those areas with jb paste. Im no longer a fan of fx liners but it did work. When you push a slug through a tj barrel, its butter smooth. Also, whats the best way and solution to wash slugs? Will a ultra sonic work? Ive never tried it.