• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Incessant design flaws.

I just got back into airguns and hunting after a lapse of 45 years and find a lot has changed in hunting regulations and technology. From my perspective, the ammo and equipment is far more capable than I need for walk and stalk hunting of quail, rabbits, squirrels, etc. It seems that the industry is fixated on superlatives in power, shot count, magazine count and scope power all wrapped up in a "tactical" fashion for long range bench shooting. To each his own, and I am happy somebody likes that sort of thing because it is obviously pushing the technology but, for my purposes, these offering are too fiddly, too heavy, too unwieldy and too powerful. What I would like to see is gun that tops out at 6 pounds with a sling, an old timey stock (ie, not pistol grip and not thumb hole) a low mounted scope in a fixed 4 or 6 power shooting 177 pellets at around 900fps and 20ft/lbs. A ten round magazine and enough air for 60 shots would be plenty and it needs to be quiet. Fx's latest the DRS classic looks like it could fill the bill on paper but, if it is like my crown, it will likely fail to completely fulfill the big idea. If I could ask for one more thing it would be the same gun with a sight ramp and a bead set up for wing shooting. Shooting never need be boring. Great question, I agree with a lot of the other posts and I hope the industry reads and heeds.

Reactions: Bandito and MLE
I cant even find a parts drawing for my Vulcan 3 at AGTs home page, that is also pretty bad.

I do have a complete set of O-rings for my Maverick, that's a big + for FX in my book, i do think some compile overhaul O-ring sets for other brands,,,,, which i also appreciate when they cant just take note on the makers site.

Just received my Air Venturi Avenge-X.

It came with a complete set of o-rings... don't know if I should be impressed that the vendor was thoughtful or concerned that they think I'll be needing them.

Reactions: Bandito
I wish that the vendors would adopt the Weihrauch HW100 style of magazine instead of those dial-a-problem plastic ones.

The Weihrauch magazine is a simple metal design with an o-ring, it accurately indexes and feeds the pellets. There's no moving parts, doesn't damage the pellets by shuffling them around inside the cassette, is pocket (lint) proof and can be loaded with one hand.

You have all missed the point, put out the least expensive to make for the highest price the market will bear and sell enough to make a reasonable profit That is what it is all about for many. Look at the garbage AEA has ben getting away with for years and people still buy them and they are turning a profit. The only way to change is vote with your wallet.

Get rid of dovetails and use picatinny rails instead. Especially on springers.

And put some nice open sights on pcps like Weihrauch springers use with four choices on the globe and rear sight notch choices.

Include some dam O-rings. Especially for the breech.

Probably already mentioned, test fire the airgun at at least 10 times . One of the many reasons to buy from the smaller dealers that do check the airgun. Velocity, accuracy and pellet weight used and leak test all included.

Last edited:
Nooooo! pic rails are ok on tactical guns but look weird on traditional sporting guns😬

That's true. And I like open sights on the little HW30 . And the traditional airguns has been getting by without for years . And it's not hard to get an 11mm to picatinny rail adaptor with 3-4 clamp bolts for the guys using picatinny mounts . So I have to agree 👍 .

Barrels which are not screwed in the reciever, with an extra locking nut on the outside, are not well-supported barrels which will always point in the same direction relative to optics mounted on the receiver.
The actual contact points of set screws (where this is used to hold a barrel in the receiver) could be jarred to be slightly different every shot.
Totally agree, ridiculous on my rattler that the threading doesn’t have a set stop point and you can go too far in.

Also manufacturers should pressure test the guns for at least 1 week, if not longer before shipping to check for slow leaks. Especially for a $2000 or $3000 device.

Totally agree, ridiculous on my rattler that the threading doesn’t have a set stop point and you can go too far in.

Also manufacturers should pressure test the guns for at least 1 week, if not longer before shipping to check for slow leaks. Especially for a $2000 or $3000 device.
I'd prefer they actually test the D'mn guns to see if the assembly folks actually did it right, THEN a 24hr leak test.

Reactions: Bernie7

So you want to raise the price by maybe 15 or 20 % ? the employees time and benefits $$$ , the storage racks $$$ the building space $$$ don't forget the paperwork of the product $$$ plus the time included in the start to finish of each gun ?$$$ and i just thought of record keeping to answer questions $$$