• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Inbetween the rain

We are finally getting a decent amount of local rain here in the southern CA area. I have been out a few times now with no luck on harvesting a quail. After a few days of wet weather there was a single day break with mostly sunny sky. Time to grab the air rifle and get out for a hunt. Not much as far as some hunts go but I was finally able to harvest a quail. I approached up through the brush to a small clearing where I sometimes hunt for ground squirrel. There are lots of brush piles, tree trimmings people have dumped as well as heavy brush and manzanita. I was walking up a small pathway and as soon as I hung a left into my hunting area I saw 2 quail. Learning from my previous mishaps, I knew there would be several more likely just out of sight. The quail scurried away, they were about 45 yards away on the flee. I saw what looked like a small ravine they were entering with a large brush pile, I quickly decided to try to hike up the mountain and come in just above the ravine. I closed the distance down to 28 yards, I saw the covey. I dropped to my knee as to shoot of my shooting sticks but when I did the I dropped to low behind a drop off to put the quail in the cross hairs. I gently rose to my feet, the quail started to run. I lined up, and let my cross hair float over the quail and gently squeezed the Taipan's trigger. I'm pretty happy, I only was able to take one but I had 2 other decent opportunities for a shot and I missed. One was 65 yards and my final that day was around 34 yards. I could have easily bagged out with my shot gun but the air rifle was much more challenging. I fried my quail with onions and garlic. It was good but I slightly dried it out.

20211226_135321.1640826617.jpg

20211226_125914.1640826651.jpg

20211226_130001.1640826677.jpg