• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

In Regards to RMAC and my experience

This was the first of many RMAC’s that I plan on attending, and I have to say it truly was an experience one would have to see for themselves. I finally decided to quit talking about going and committed myself to being there!
We all throw out tidbits on the forums about this airgun community being awesome, but let me tell you all, I’ve witnessed it first hand. All the people I met, from the movers and shakers in our industry to the famous youtuber’s, and lastly to the newbies like myself, it was an unbelievable experience. Way better than going to Disneyland as a kid, no lie.

In this thread I wanted to give a big shout out to Utah Airguns and the staff that ran it. I was able to catch a few names- Travis, Alex, Jayden, Tanner, all did a great job from being a range master all the way to shuttling people around in golf carts to making sure there was plenty of air for the guns and water to keep the shooters hydrated. They literally made me feel like I was a Frederick Axxelson, Steve from AEAC, or a Cecil from Hatsan.

The registration process was totally well organized, and the way everyone was given ample range time for sight in was great.

I got to meet DonnyFL, the fx staff, the Hatsan team, AEAC Steve, AGN Michael, Cyclops Joe Reah, and famous team shooters like CENTERCUT Mike, Dereck Wall, The Daystate crew, yeah I had a blast.

I didn’t place as high as I would’ve liked but for a first timer I didn’t do bad, especially when just a few months ago I had never shot past 50 yards.

If any of you are the ones that keep saying “someday I’d like to attend”, like I did for years, well, put it in your calendar and start saving up. You won’t regret it!

Oh, and for sure practice! This is not something you want to go into and you just shot a few targets the week before, lol

Next Stop- EBR!

Last edited:
I was the tall handsome guy with the 3rd leg, lol
C563BF1C-5351-44BB-9909-B61BC692E2B5.jpeg

Pics of some of the coolest folks I’ve met

4AA15819-511F-410C-8231-BF2E6830D62B.jpeg

A3AB9540-A470-4BFC-9CDF-92D6C1263B75.jpeg

5B17C150-AA6E-4904-8113-3CDE082E9C7F.jpeg

63C41CED-FB46-4555-8958-59409E0A3E79.jpeg

Scope review master Joe Reah, AGN Michael, The FX techs Ernest Rowe and Newman Buck, and the duo I hung out with Gene and Dave. As I’m typing this, I wish I were back there experiencing all of this again

Awesome Augie! Glad you got to go & get your feet wet. Pretty amazing that the winner never competed before. Almost makes me want to compete (almost) but I'm happy doing what I do. Glad you got to meet C'cut. Great guy. May the "Gods of competition" smile upon you next time.
Gerry- there were two big prize winners that had never competed before, the winner of the Pro benchrest and I believe the Precision marksman event. Someone will correct me on that, I’m sure.

Gerry- there were two big prize winners that had never competed before, the winner of the Pro benchrest and I believe the Precision marksman event. Someone will correct me on that, I’m sure.
I think you meant “never competed in Airgun competition before”. Obviously both of them have been competing with firearms for a very long time…. :ROFLMAO:
The PRS winner Boyd Linder is a well known top firearm PRS shooter and the 100Y BR Dusty Powers is a well known long range precision centerfire shooter. No rookies here….

Last edited:
I think you meant “never competed in Airgun competition before”. Obviously both of them have been competing with firearms for a very long time…. :ROFLMAO:
The PRS winner Boyd Linder is a well known top firearm PRS shooter and the 100Y BR Dusty Powers is a well known long range precision centerfire shooter. No rookies here….
Yes, that’s exactly what I meant. First time airgun competition.
Yeah I know the winners have had to have past powder burner bench rest experience or some other powder burner discipline. There’s no way one could compete at an RMAC or EBR without previous competitive experiences, coaching, or just endless days of practice

Reactions: Stone02
Thanks
@Bigragu Looks like you had a super memorable experience. That’s awesome!! Congratulations on planning and committing to attend. Great photos. You appear to be in good shape for it. In hindsight, would you have done anything differently to prepare yourself for this competition?
Exana4ce- thanks for the comments.
I practiced for 6 months, went thru almost 8K of pellets between 22 and 30 cal. After experiencing RMAC, I know for fact I was winging it all the way in those 6 months, wasting Ammo on non quality shots. Wait- this isn’t fair- a good part of that pellet amount went into tuning while shooting. I had a couple of scopes go bad on me, and I hate to think about how much Ammo I wasted trying to figure out what was up. Big kudos to Rangur1 Marc for loaning me a top tier scope out of the goodness of his heart and just being a great friend. Athlon ended up replacing the scopes with new updated models. Great warranty they have, for sure.

Yeah, so after watching folks at EBR, I definately picked up pointers that I will add or make changes to the way I trained. Here’s a big tip- practice when the wind is the craziest!! If you’re confident in your sight in and your guns tune, stop shooting in calm weather. I thought by nailing a lizard thru the ribs at 100 yards I was ready, ha ha, no way I was.

Another change I’m going to make is weight loss. Dealing with a bolt on fused spine along with drop foot syndrome is hard enough, but dealing with that with excess pounds is even harder. I would’ve loved to have been out the whole day each of days in that 5 day event, but I couldn’t. After around 4-5 hours, I had to get back to my hotel to rest and pace myself. Getting in shape for an athletic event requires training, and I see shooting as being no different.

So, yes, I have a plan. That alone makes me feel more motivated cause since last January when I decided to get ready for RMAC , I had no clue as to what I was getting myself into.

Oh, another piece of advice I learned along the way- quit shooting splatterburst targets!! Those things make you look great when in reality shooting at normal paper targets will open your eyes on how accurate you really are

So glad you got to go Augie! It’s incredible that you could do that drive and then compete too.
Augie is mostly bionic and has more pins and steel in him than the Eiffel Tower!
Hopefully switching to the .25 will work better for you next time!
Thanks for sharing the pictures and the adventure.
Yeah I met a couple guys that had 13-16 hour drives and did it in one shot. Not me. My drive was a total of 11 hours and I had to stop midway at Elko, NV to rest up. I was wore out. Next day I drove in to utah, and since I got there three days early, I had that much time to recoup from the drive.

On the way home I did everything in reverse and stayed at Elko again. 5 hours is my max time to be in a car on long travels.

You should go next year, Dave!!