• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

In other news, something funny from the NRL22 rules

This has a field target tie-in, trust me. Here is a quote from the NRL22 rule book:

"Adaptive division is an optional division that will be available to any competitor that has special needs/considerations severely limiting their ability to participate in the match as written. This division is intended to allow participation in the monthly NRL22 courses of fire for individuals who are no longer able to perform a significant amount of the motions published within the course of fire. A few examples would be competitors who have had spinal fusions preventing prone positions, or competitors who have declined mobility due to many years of living life to the fullest, or folks who have a passion for precision rifle but shooting the published course of fire would result in a long drive home in pain followed by another day or two of being stiff and sore. It is up to the Adaptive division participants to have reviewed the course of fire prior to the local match. An example would be utilizing a tripod and stool instead of shooting prone, or using a stool when shooting from the saw horse or tank trap tips."

This made me laugh. If we had a similar division in FT, 95% of FT shooters would qualify for the adaptive division.

I thought Hunter Class was "adaptive division"

Edit: Re-reading this I think I should clarify. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Hunter Class. Its just the one class that people with certain limitations CAN play without having to amend the rules to fit their physical limitations.

Last edited:
Seems the kind of thing that shouldn't be decided by the competitor, but rather the match director.

Most truly disabled folks are pretty proud of their ability to make it though life, despite, and in spite of their impaired mobility. Truly disabled individuals are not the type that would run to a match director looking for exceptions/concessions to be made for them.

As @Sqwirl57 stated, Hunter class is already that, ie NOT physically demanding. And that's by design, not an attempt to disparage Hunter class.

Last edited:
Seems the kind of thing that shouldn't be decided by the competitor, but rather the match director.

Most truly disabled folks are pretty proud of their ability to make it though life, despite, and in spite of their impaired mobility. Truly disabled individuals are not the type that would run to a match director looking for exceptions/concessions to be made for them.

As @Sqwirl57 stated, Hunter class is already that, ie NOT physically demanding. And that's by design, not an attempt to disparage Hunter class.
I think you are missing the point. They are voluntarily choosing to opt out of the competitive division and get lumped in with the 60+ senior division. So rather than saying that the younger or more able shooters should have to compete down to their level because they are old and creaky, they tell the more fit shooters to go have their fun and the old creaky guys will be over here having our own fun. And the more competitive shooters don't have to sit around and complain about rules changes that cater to the high mileage folks. A match directors can design courses for the strongest shooters instead worrying about people that can't get into certain positions. (Although in NRL22, everyone shoots the same monthly match design)

Honestly, based on some of your other posts, I thought you would like how they do this. I forgot that on internet forums you can't predict what someone is going to disagree about based on historical data.

Reactions: trlrman
The adaptive division sounds like it would be equivalent to the "Unlimited Class" that is allowed by many match directors for those individuals that don't fit the Hunter, Open or WFTF classes. I've only been shooting FT for about 5 years but unlimited has been available since I started.
Thx
Dan

Seems like this idea came up in the other big discussion about this, but that didn't satisfy the end goal of the primary proposer of the rule changes.

They are voluntarily choosing to opt out of the competitive division...

Since you referenced historical stances, I can only assume we're talking about the rule change proposal for kneeling shots.

Ron's proposal never included bowing out of the competitive division and essentially shooting for fun or even shooting in a senior division.

Simply put, this is not that.

Not sure why this is being rehashed again, other than to stir 💩. Ron himself stated that he abandoned the proposed rule change and it seemed that was the end of it.

I like the idea of allowing disabled shooters (think people that legitimately qualify for handicapped tag on their rear view mirror) to still come and have fun. Match directors would need to be diligent in this though, or you're gonna have a bunch of guys faking a limp. A fine line between allowing participation from the truly disabled, and guys snagging their granny's handicapped tag to get to shoot in the easier division.

Finally, Hunter class is not NRL, or even anything near it. The physical requirements of Hunter class are pretty minimal.

Last edited:
Sorry if I triggered you, I wasn't trying to re-hash anything. I saw something that made me laugh about me and the old farts I shoot field target with and thought I would share. If you are trying to keep fighting over a kneeling thread from months ago, that's on you. My "give-a-crap" meter is at an all time low about anyone's thoughts about kneeling. Or standing. Or field target rules in general.

Honestly, I don't know where all of this anger is coming from. I guess I'll have to start using emojis when I post something that's intended to be fun and light hearted so my posts don't get hijacked by negativity.

I feel there are a few people out there like me, we like to challenge ourselves. It’s not about competing against others. I’ve shot competitively in the past, I just don’t have the passion for it anymore. Same goes with golf, a sport I’ve passionately played, like shooting, for the last 30 years. My satisfaction now comes in challenging myself to perform better. The most focused and stressed I ever was in sport was breaking 80 on the course. That brings me 100% more satisfaction than defeating an opponent. I have no ill will towards those that choose competition, have fun. It’s your ship to sail through life, choose the heading that brings you satisfaction. It’s nice to offer something for all, we each have our own agenda. If time allows and it improves exposure positively, it only helps the organization.

Sorry if I triggered you, I wasn't trying to re-hash anything. I saw something that made me laugh about me and the old farts I shoot field target with and thought I would share. If you are trying to keep fighting over a kneeling thread from months ago, that's on you. My "give-a-crap" meter is at an all time low about anyone's thoughts about kneeling. Or standing. Or field target rules in general.

Honestly, I don't know where all of this anger is coming from. I guess I'll have to start using emojis when I post something that's intended to be fun and light hearted so my posts don't get hijacked by negativity.

I don't get triggered. That's verbiage from a generation (or even two) younger than me.

Also, no anger here.

Ha, I like how NRL22 wrote that!

I was shooting NRL22 shortly after it began. No gun divisions or skill classifications. It was a tough luck thing at the time.
Back then I had a decent amount of physicality and would win local matches and also one semi regional.
As the years went by I noticed a decrease in stability and my eyes kept getting worse so my scores dropped. My local friends and main competitors were 10 to 15 years younger and every match getting more skillful.
Then the advent of the 20+ pound Vudoo 22rf arrived which immediately decreased my chance of winning to almost zilch, LOL. I found myself in the top 5 all of a sudden. The last match I attended I got 2nd place behind my bud with the aforementioned rifle. That was 5 or so years ago. But I could see the writing on the wall which was in that time period - get a Vudoo also or accept my current demise. I accepted the inevitability of aging out sooner than later and keeping with the gun I had.
I bet if I went now I'd only be 70% from high match score, if that.
I suppose I should travel down to Gunsite for NRL22 to get out of the cold, see what's up this winter down there, and make a match fee donation.
Might as well try out the Vulcan 3 25 cal for the heck of it and get "my partitipation award" because I'm sure I'll be the only one there with a pcp.

In that time frame I would see people a decade or more older than me having various ailments that in spite of being good shots they could not finish but halfway up while the younger guys got better and better.
So I'm glad for these folks that have physical problems are now allowed to compete against each other in a division specific to their needs as well as in their appropriate classification!!!

Thankfully in FT there is a Unlimited local division or I would have quit years ago because of eye and ranging difficulties which is a frustration not worth dealing with anymore.

I'm glad that at least in UFT I'm somewhat competitive now but the decline will still continue. So glad distances are given or LRF's are allowed to be used!

Ha, I like how NRL22 wrote that!

I was shooting NRL22 shortly after it began. No gun divisions or skill classifications. It was a tough luck thing at the time.
Back then I had a decent amount of physicality and would win local matches and also one semi regional.
As the years went by I noticed a decrease in stability and my eyes kept getting worse so my scores dropped. My local friends and main competitors were 10 to 15 years younger and every match getting more skillful.
Then the advent of the 20+ pound Vudoo 22rf arrived which immediately decreased my chance of winning to almost zilch, LOL. I found myself in the top 5 all of a sudden. The last match I attended I got 2nd place behind my bud with the aforementioned rifle. That was 5 or so years ago. But I could see the writing on the wall which was in that time period - get a Vudoo also or accept my current demise. I accepted the inevitability of aging out sooner than later and keeping with the gun I had.
I bet if I went now I'd only be 70% from high match score, if that.
I suppose I should travel down to Gunsite for NRL22 to get out of the cold, see what's up this winter down there, and make a match fee donation.
Might as well try out the Vulcan 3 25 cal for the heck of it and get "my partitipation award" because I'm sure I'll be the only one there with a pcp.

In that time frame I would see people a decade or more older than me having various ailments that in spite of being good shots they could not finish but halfway up while the younger guys got better and better.
So I'm glad for these folks that have physical problems are now allowed to compete against each other in a division specific to their needs as well as in their appropriate classification!!!

Thankfully in FT there is a Unlimited local division or I would have quit years ago because of eye and ranging difficulties which is a frustration not worth dealing with anymore.

I'm glad that at least in UFT I'm somewhat competitive now but the decline will still continue. So glad distances are given or LRF's are allowed to be used!
On a Rimfire forum, a 77 year old shooter told me that my gun would be more stable if I increased the weight to 25 pounds like his gun. While he may be correct, I can't imagine using a 25 pound gun off the back of a folding chair or on top of a fake rooftop. I can't remember his username, but I suspect it was @JackLaLanne

I recently within the past year started NRL-22. When I described FT or EFT to the younger guys that shoot NRL-22, one of them said to me “oh, cool, kinda like NRL-22 but for old people”. 😂

I recently within the past year started NRL-22. When I described FT or EFT to the younger guys that shoot NRL-22, one of them said to me “oh, cool, kinda like NRL-22 but for old people”. 😂
Pretty much. I was thinking how funny it is that it takes some guys more than 5 minutes to shoot 6 times at two or three targets, not including the time taken to set up the stool, get out the sticks and fumble with pellets. And that's with known distances, no range finding. It would be interesting to add one speed lane to EFT and FT matches. "Start with all of your gear in hand. At the beep, you have one minute to shoot two targets near to far, 3 shots each. The targets distances are X, the targets will be reset for you. Shooter ready?"

Reactions: Centercut
Pretty much. I was thinking how funny it is that it takes some guys more than 5 minutes to shoot 6 times at two or three targets, not including the time taken to set up the stool, get out the sticks and fumble with pellets. And that's with known distances, no range finding. It would be interesting to add one speed lane to EFT and FT matches. "Start with all of your gear in hand. At the beep, you have one minute to shoot two targets near to far, 3 shots each. The targets distances are X, the targets will be reset for you. Shooter ready?"
At your TexTreme event this weekend it was 4 minutes for 6 shots. The clock starts as directed by the match director. The intention is for the clock to start when the shooter enters the designated shooting area. 1 minute for setup and 30 seconds per shot. Normally MDs cave to the pressure though and start the clock after seated when the shooter first looks through the scope.
With NRL-22 normal time is 2 minutes to take 10 to 12 shots from 4 or 5 (and up to 10) different positions. Time starts with gun and gear in hand behind the stage. A world of difference from EFT.

Reactions: steve123