In need of SLUG HELP!!

I can't say I've had bad flyers, but the advice that was given to me was to keep the barrel clean until it gets leaded in.

So what I did was pull two dry patches through every 50 slugs for the first few hundred. Both patches would be fouled.

When I started noticing the first patch coming out with just light residue and the second patch clean, then I stretched it out to 100 slugs.

When I got the same results as the 50 slug cleaning, then I stopped cleaning. I don't do much target shooting, but I do have the occasional unexplained miss on a small bird.

Overall I can say that the accuracy is pretty tight once the barrel gets leaded in.

I’m guessing but where I would start is to check variables. See if when the fliers happen what the chrono speed is and what the pressure guage reads if it happens under the same conditions that’s the problem. I don’t know how you be able to check it but with the swagged bullets I’ve often wondered especially if its done on a hand press is the density of the bullet the same threw out if not the bullet could be out of balance. With my powder burner bullets I let them roll down an old glass coffee table top that I tilt at a 45 degree angle about a 2.5 ft roll and I sort them by where they land in .5 group separation. I’ve never done it with airgun projectiles but maybe I’ll give it a try . With my 308 rifle bullets ( shooting at a target 800 yds. Out)I would find I had to site in each batch in my roll test separately but they all performed well. Hopefully next week I will get out with my Impact with the 700mm pellet liner and I’ll see which pellet perform better I will try some from VK and Nielsen I’ll report back on my results.

Bob and I talked quite a few times when I got my liner and tried to get it shooting right. It wasn't an easy process! I tested a bunch, 28 different slugs I think and the 32.8 VK slug is the one that shot best out of my gun too. I'm shooting the 600mm .25 cal. slug liner in a Crown. With almost every slug I shot, there would be a flier in every 5-7 shots. I polished my barrel twice and it isn't happening nearly as much after the second polishing job, which was a lot more aggressive, but it shouldn't be happening at all. It's not Dale's slugs either, they are as accurate and as consistant as any slug you can buy! I talked to a lot of people and it doesn't sound like nearly as much time went into the development of the .25 cal. liner as went into the .22 cal. liner. I don't have an answer for you but the liner does seem to settle in after you shoot one particular slug for a while after switching from a different slug. I'm not talking about leading in or seasoning a barrel, I'm talking about shooting each slug more before switching to try a different slug. It's almost as if the barrel needs to get "used to" the new slug? I had heard that before and never really bought into it but Dale assured me it is a fact and he's seen it many times. Instead of shooting 1-2, 5 shot groups, I started shooting 2-3, 10 shot groups and that decreased the fliers too. I don't know what happens when you switch slugs, even by only a few grains, but fliers were more common. Polishing the barrel was probably the one thing I did that made the best difference in improving accuracy and reducing fliers. The first time was done with very fine 1000 and 1200 grit compound. The second time around I used 320, 600, 1000, and 1200 grit and worked the choke aggressively...there was much more of an improvement the second time around! Since the second polishing I've also noticed that almost any of Dale's flat based slugs between 30gr and 33gr shoot very well. If you get it figured out, I'd love to hear what you do to fix the flier problem.

Stoti

I can't say I've had bad flyers, but the advice that was given to me was to keep the barrel clean until it gets leaded in.

So what I did was pull two dry patches through every 50 slugs for the first few hundred. Both patches would be fouled.

When I started noticing the first patch coming out with just light residue and the second patch clean, then I stretched it out to 100 slugs.

When I got the same results as the 50 slug cleaning, then I stopped cleaning. I don't do much target shooting, but I do have the occasional unexplained miss on a small bird.

Overall I can say that the accuracy is pretty tight once the barrel gets leaded in.

That make sense, so using ballistol or any other type of barrel cleaners / solvents on stx liners is not a good idea, right?

Thanks for sharing that!