Importing air gun parts to the USA

Hey guys, I haven’t been on AGN much lately, my boys and I have been very busy. My boys are both playing basketball, it’s Steelhead season in Nor Cal and we all got new over under shotguns this winter so we've been practicing shooting trap for the upcoming season! I hope you are all well and 2020 is going super for you all so far! It looks like 2020 is going to be another great year for us air gunners. There looks to be a lot of phenomenal guns and goodies coming our way! 

I have a friend overseas that many of you have dealt with, he manufactures air gun power upgrade parts on a small-medium scale and sells them to us in the USA and around the world. He recently sold a couple of the parts kits to someone here in the USA, the guy doesn’t like the parts, wants a 100% refund for everything including shipping, even after the parts have been installed and used. My friend said no but offered a compromise, that didn't work out either so the guy is now threatening my friend. He said he has friends in "very, very high places", is going to track all sales, report my friend to Customs & Border Protection and to Alcohol Tabacco and Firearms, get him busted and have him banned from entering the USA or Europe in the future. I told my friend that it sounded really absurd, were probably just threats to scare him and that air guns and air gun parts are not regulated by the Alphabet org or CBP. I do want to be 100% sure there are no rules I’m missing though. My recollection is that Alphabet org regulates Guns, ammunition and implements of war...Air guns and parts are not under these categories and therefore not regulated by the Alphabet org. I'm not really sure what CBP's role would be as far as air guns go? Are there any other laws pertaining to importation of air gun parts? Anyone know for sure? I'm 99% sure that this guy is just making threats to scare my friend. It would be a huge amount of work to pursue something like this if laws were being broken, which I don't think they are. I also think our government has more pressing matters to deal with than a few plenums or air tubes! I know there are a awful lot of people importing these parts from South America, Australia, Great Brittan, Russia, S.E. Asia, Eastern Europe and I've never once heard of any laws being broken or people being prosecuted. Thanks in advance! Stoti

P.S. to those of you who have e-mailed me...It's Stu Wrycraft, he doesn't mind me sharing his name. I have no affiliation with him other than he is a good friend of mine. As far as the details of the dispute, I'm not even going to go there. It doesn't pertain to me and I'm not involved so I'm not going to get into all of that. That's between Stu and his customer. I'm simply trying to find out if any regulations or laws have been broken at the request of Stu and to clarify if this guy is simply making idle threats. Again, thank you for your help! Stoti

Thank you! I'm not involved with this situation at all, just trying to get some accurate information for a friend. Although it might seem a bit scary, the gun world and air gun world are two completely different things, governed by completely different regulations and laws. The Alphabet org and DOJ do not oversee air gun transactions, as far as they're concerned, an air gun is more closely related to a baseball bat than a firearm. Not really, just trying to make the point that the DOJ and Alphabet org have no interest in regulating air guns at all, none! I'm just trying to find out if there are any laws or regulations, governed by the DOJ, Alphabet org or any other agency that may have relevance in this situation. It might also be important to note that the parts we're talking about here are bolt probes, valve housings, valve tubes, plenums, and small miscellaneous brass parts. I really don't think that matters at all either way, since air guns are not regulated by the Alphabet org or DOJ. What Stu is concerned with are any odd regulations that we are unfamiliar with and don't know of that might have some bearing in this circumstance. I don't think Stu has done anything wrong, nor do I think there is any basis for making these threats. I think the guy making threats is just trying to intimidate and scare Stu so he'll refund 100% of the purchase price. Thank you. Stoti

My understanding is that there are no federal regulations on airguns, so USCBP and Alphabet org should have no interest. And the fact that your friend is only importing parts, and not assembled guns, probably makes this a complete non-issue. However, there are some US states and counties with airgun laws, but that would be almost impossible to prosecute on an international level even if he did break the rules.

Also, for what it's worth, I've always found that people who make such ridiculous threats and mention having friends in "very, very high places" actually have zero friends in high places. That buyer just sounds like a tool who should be ignored.

Thanks Spartan, you and I are exactly on the same page with our thinking on this one, exactly! I've told Stu not to worry at all and explained to him what I've outlined here. I also told him that I'm 99% sure that he has done nothing wrong but that I would look on-line and dig a little deeper to see if there are any laws or regulations that are obscure or not very well known. You are also correct that different states have varying laws pertaining to air guns, but the states wouldn't have anything to do with international import laws. I'm just hoping to get a definitive answer from someone in law enforcement, someone who imports air guns or air gun parts into the USA or someone that actually works for the Alphabet org or DOJ. I'd like to be able to tell Stu with 100% certainty that he can tell the guy making threats to go suck a lemon. Thank you and have a great weekend! Stoti

That's what I told my buddy too. We all know the guy is full of S--t but my buddy Stu just needs some reassurance that there aren't any crazy laws we don't know about that could get him in trouble. I told my buddy that the US government isn't going to waste their time going after a guy selling air gun parts on the internet. Thanks! Stoti

BATF has no interest in airguns. Legally, the F means Firearms. Firearms are defined as using an explosive to push a projectile out of the barrel. Airguns don't qualify.

There is some grey area where an airgun part could be fitted to a firearm, usually in the area of a Moderator. If the moderator could be easily attached to a firearm, and if the moderator would reduce the sound by 1db, BATF has an interest.

Considering that airgun receivers, barrels, magazines and other components would explode the first time someone put a real bullet in, don't think your buddy has much to worry about.

I had questions about Moderators. Son tells me that you can send a formal letter to BATF and ask for an opinion. It may take months to come back, it may be wishy washy, and it may be very definite. but batf will eventually respond. That document is a legal defense if anyone has questions.

anyway, if your friend is concerned, spend a couple hundred bucks on a lawyer that specializes in firearms and BATF. It'll give him piece of mind and allow him to authoritatively call the bluff.

All of my opinions are worth what you paid for them. Take them all with a grain of salt (maybe a 10lb bag) and double check any legal opinions with local professionals.

Oh, if you are talking about Canadian laws, totally different and very strict. Canadian could be a problem, I really doubt the US BATF cares in the least. I believe anything over 6fpe requires a FAC of some type. Please check with locals to confirm, and I mean local solicitors)

I think I'd start with a Canadian solicitor.

Besides, if the shipper is in Europe or mexico, or anywhere else outside of Canada, and the receiver is in Canada, the local constabulary will normally go after the receiver. The person making the threats might want to look at their own legal position as the receiver of potentially illegal items. Possession in Canada can bring all sorts of legal problems. Again, get a local solicitor if you want more info.

All of my opinions are worth what you paid for them. Take them all with a grain of salt (maybe a 10lb bag) and double check any legal opinions with local professionals.

Firearms importer without a license? The Importer is the person receiving the goods, not the person sending the goods. BATF would want a conversation with the clod IMPORTING and Receiving, not the person SENDING

Son follows this kind of stuff from time to time. Last year Chinese interests were selling an "Air Soft" attachment to make you "Glock" pistol a full auto. It's a metal plate that fits a REAL Glock, and makes it full auto. BATF was a tad upset, but didn't go after the Chinese exporter, they went after the guy in the US that bought a boatload, and couldn't account for his full auto upgrades. He'd apparently sold a few of them before BATF showed up. He was in a boatload of problem while the Exporters from China didn't even get spoken too.

Have your buddy ask for names and phone numbers. A quick call to the folks the clod is talking to might clear up lots and lots of problems. Besides, legal issues cross borders gets the State department involved, and other goodies. BATF can't bar anyone from entering the US, that's Immigration Department.

His "Friends" in high places will probably be more than a bit irritated if they feel like they are being abused. Just sayin . . . . . . 

The whole story just reeks of a loser threatening someone over nothing.

Exporting, my bad! He's threatening the exporter of small parts! I know the guys name but I'm not going to go there. I looked up his name on Facebook, Instagram, and the internet with no results. I don't know if he frequents this board or any of the others but I've never heard of him anywhere. He's got a lot of nerve making threats, talking about Karma and such. I really feel bad for my buddy Stu, he told the guy to return the parts and he would replace or refund at his discretion when he got them back. The guy went ballistic because he wants his money for the parts and shipping both ways too. He probably wanted the parts so he could take measurements, pictures and get all the specifications and now he wants a full refund! I told Stu to just ignore the guy from now on, don't even open his e-mail's or messages and nothing will ever happen. He's just using threats and scare tactics! 

Stoti