N/A Important !! Please Air Rifle makers, look at this. Important for accuracy.

A good friend and talented smith and machinest took a lot of time to make me a very custom, concentric, pellet pusher that mounts on the cocking housing of my Piatt - Thomas .177 Bench Rest rifle. The depth of pellet set in the breech can be adjusted.

Pellet skirt flush with the breech face gave me the widest 5 shot pellet dispersion. I then slowly adjusted the depth of the pellet until the dispersion for 5 shots was one jagged hole.

Because the probe has to be concentric with the center of the bore so as not to deform the pellet, and the probe diameter has to be such that it will fit within the skirt and not deform it, it took my friend a long time to produce this pellet pusher. So long that he refuses to build another.

I prefer probes that push the pellet from the skirt provided the pellet doesn't require too much force to seat, that way the seating depth isn't that important going from one pellet to the next, as they will all seat equally. Just my preference. I noticed long ago with pin style probes that some pellet skirts were still exposed in the transfer port after seating full depth.

-Matt

Reactions: Ta-Ta Toothie
A good friend and talented smith and machinest took a lot of time to make me a very custom, concentric, pellet pusher that mounts on the cocking housing of my Piatt - Thomas .177 Bench Rest rifle. The depth of pellet set in the breech can be adjusted.

Pellet skirt flush with the breech face gave me the widest 5 shot pellet dispersion. I then slowly adjusted the depth of the pellet until the dispersion for 5 shots was one jagged hole.

Because the probe has to be concentric with the center of the bore so as not to deform the pellet, and the probe diameter has to be such that it will fit within the skirt and not deform it, it took my friend a long time to produce this pellet pusher. So long that he refuses to build another.
Smiling because i know that pellet pusher maker.

Mike has his own pellet seater that he attaches to his rifle if requested. I have made my own simple hand held seater for my RAW rifles it is a simple T handle that I can push the pellet into the lead to engage the rifling at what ever depth I want after the probe has initially seated squarely. Honey didn’t see much of a difference?
I would imagine its like firearms seating depth. Some are very picky and some see a smaller impact on accuracy. Did you see anything else using something to seat the pellet deeper than the probe? FPS stay the same? Seating deeper than the probe creates a larger expansion area before the projectile. I dont know if that would cause a negative, positive effect or no effect.

Last edited:
Probably not favorable or unfavorable enough effect for the average shooter, but for the 100yard + ebr style shooter, probably.

-Matt
For my .177 Piatt - Thomas to produce five 5 shot groups each of less than 0.209" (1MOA) edge to edge at 20 yards indoors, all the following has to be consistent:

Bench vibration
Rest vibration
Gun & barrel vibration
Plenum air pressure
Trigger, hammer, & valve response
Rifle temperature
Pellet weight, size, shape, & eccentricity
Pellet insertion depth in chamber
Pellet speed.