• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Impact X Is Getting A Power Plenum - Advice

Get online and look for Earnest's installation video. Cover's it all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDvHYGXnJgc

Best 18 minutes you will ever spend.

I just installed one, haven't even shot it yet. 

Run the video for each step, stop the video, do the step yourself, rinse and repeat. Plan on an hour or two to install. If you need help disassembling the gun, look up the Impact Masterclass videos.

If you've never been in the gun before, plan on a couple evenings while you learn your way around. It's complex but with the Masterclass videos, very doable.

Good luck!

I ordered the kit also and installed it myself. I had never taken the gun apart before but used the available videos on the internet. It was not difficult. Make sure you have 100% silicon for the O-rings, and just take your time. You may want a rebuild O-ring kit, in case you tear one of the o-rings during disassembly /assembly. I have not tuned mine yet. That will be my next step, but there are a lot of tuning videos online. It will give you confidence if you need to disassemble the gun for any other reason in the future. 

Thanks BigHUN. Having the confidence is the winning part of the game.

The more I watch these vids, the more I think that the plenum on the Impact was in fact a design error. Not blaming FX, just saying somebody should have done the math and known that larger volume and lower pressure in the plenum would increase efficiency hugely and give a more accurate measurement from the hammer strike on the valve.

Power Plenum upgrade complete.

Best advice is to lube it up. I had to go backwards several times, mainly for alignment complications. I mainly used the Earnest Rowe and the Airbuk videos. They both have allot of very good information. Looking back, Earnest Rowe starts with completing the new Power Plenum first. I think this is the way to go. I found it a bit tricky getting the front and back of the new plenum to be properly aligned and this would be something to get out of the way first as Earnest Rowe did If I did another one. Airbuk had good insight on leaving screws in sub assemblies like the top bar, measuring the front of the probe, measuring the probe from the back, proper wrench sizes and many others. I use Wiha precision tools. One bit of advice would be to take the little grub screw (set screw) out of the new Power Plenum and check the fit of your hex. It's 1.5mm and a very tight fit.

I tried it out today for the first time after the plenum upgrade. I put a new 22 barrel on with a superior liner as well, changing from the x-twist 25. First two shots were loud and I had to check if the moderator was still on. Next looking at the chrono I saw 1080 and then checked to see the regulator at 110. Rolling the wheel back to 3 got the speed back to a much quieter subsonic 860. Tuning for accuracy starts tomorrow and I will reset the regulator to 100. If the accuracy is decent, I think 900 -925 should be good to get rid of a few rats around our chicken coop.