• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Impact vs RAW vs crown

im looking for some input from owners. I. Considering a new rifle and I like the Impact but seems they all have problems. Have not seen one on here for sale that hasn't had problems or went back to AOA. I'm wondering if the crown is going to have problems also, although it is a simpler design. And the there is the custom RAW which seem to have enormous power in .25 but not sure how quiet it would be. And I'm not seeing any RAWs winning benchrest. Any input or thoughts from owners would be great. Thanks

im looking for some input from owners. I. Considering a new rifle and I like the Impact but seems they all have problems. Have not seen one on here for sale that hasn't had problems or went back to AOA. I'm wondering if the crown is going to have problems also, although it is a simpler design. And the there is the custom RAW which seem to have enormous power in .25 but not sure how quiet ohhhth hewp

"dfresh4702" And I'm not seeing any RAWs winning benchrest. Any input or thoughts from owners would be great. Thanks
Then you're not looking the right places... Take a look here http://www.phoenixairgun.net/match-reports (this is the one of the largest airgun clubs around with some of the best shooters in the US taking part all shot on the same range as the ERB). If you look here http://www.phoenixairgun.net/recognition the shooters that hold the 75y and 100m club records are shooting RAW.

I can't tell you about the Crown other than I haven't heard of a problem in it's short existence. As for the RAW and the Impact, they are two different animals. The RAW is much heavier and works well bench/target shooting. The Impact is light and easy to carry. I know guys will use the Impact on the bench, I just can't get very comfortable with the stock myself. My Impact is also quieter than my RAW as well.
As Percula stated..... RAW is all over the benchrest match circuit. They also have models designed just for competition.
I would say accuracy wise between my two guns...... I would give the RAW the edge shooting off the bench, and give the Impact a better offhand shot due to weight. The RAW is very hard for me to hold offhand. I'm keeping both of them because they cover both my needs. So you have to ask yourself what is my main use. I think the Crown is the hybrid between the two.
Last thing I might add, you will never get better service than you get from RAW. I also know the time frame when I order the gun and when it will arrive. With FX who knows when the gun will arrive.

Do check phoenix and
The us national
http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?97859-USARB-Nationals-Results

Now you do know .25 is not an actual Benchrest cal. right?
Also you can order a Rapid air weapons rig today from a dealer, doesn't have to be custom to you.
probably shoots better than most shooters.

"I" would say no to the impact unless you are well versed and emjoy all the adjusting you will need to do dialing it in.

Either of the other 2

Let's not get carried away with the perceived Impact problems. I've own at least three Impacts and none of them had any problems so I know of at least those three that were good rifles. Also keep in mind that it's human nature to tend to bitch and moan more when you're unhappy about something versus taking the time to sing praises when you're happy about something. There are plenty of happy Impact owners out there - and they're likely not on the forums as much to praise the rifle up and down . . . they're probably out shooting and enjoying their Impacts. So let's not make blanket statements like all Impacts have problems and that every single one ever listed in the Classified has been serviced for whatever ailments.

This is not coming from an FX fan boi - just someone who's owned a decent number of nice PCPs and is tired of people piling on an otherwise fine rifle just because they see a small number of people complaining about their Impacts. It's fairly inevitable due to the group-think mentality on most forums that people who've never owned or shot a particular rifle will crap on it just because they see others doing it. 

There's no perfect rifle, otherwise we'd all own it and nothing else. My guess is that if you actually bought an Impact, you'd love it.

Reactions: BEN342R and Kaan
"likkitysplyt"How much louder is that RAW than the Impact and what caliber do you have it in? Is it as loud as a Marauder in .25 cal? That's about as loud as I would be comfortable with where I live.
I have .25 in each. Hard to answer how much louder but it not close. It is noticeably more. I have never heard a Marauder before.

"spysir"Now you do know .25 is not an actual Benchrest cal. right?
Hey we are trying! I think that we are the only club in North America that regularly holds 75/100 events that favor the mid-bore calibers (25cal to 35cal). I know there is a lot of activity in the EU for 100m events, one of the reasons RAW is so busy.

There is no state secret or trademarked materials here. We have posted our rules, classifications, ranks/qualifications and targets. Feel free to replicate at your own range/club. It'll never get picked up by a governing body without people all over wanting to shoot it.

http://www.phoenixairgun.net

I think there maybe a little confusion, maybe on my part,lol. The Phoenix airgun link and others are talking about FIELD TARGET Competition. In this venue the RAWs dominate in .117 &.22.. However I'm interested in EXTREME BENCHREST in this venue it's all FX guns .30 and .25. And actually last years extreme benchrest was won by Ted with an FX Impact in .25. I already have wildcat which I love. Super quiet shot 2 squirrels out of same tree 15 seconds apart. I'm looking for a gun that will reach out to 100+ for benchrest and hunting ! still leaning toward crown I guess. I appreciate y'alls input. I live in Ohio so there is no where to go and checkout air guns before you buy

"dfresh4702"I think there maybe a little confusion, maybe on my part,lol. The Phoenix airgun link and others are talking about FIELD TARGET Competition. In this venue the RAWs dominate in .117 &.22.. However I'm interested in EXTREME BENCHREST in this venue it's all FX guns .30 and .25. And actually last years extreme benchrest was won by Ted with an FX Impact in .25. I already have wildcat which I love. Super quiet shot 2 squirrels out of same tree 15 seconds apart. I'm looking for a gun that will reach out to 100+ for benchrest and hunting ! still leaning toward crown I guess. I appreciate y'alls input. I live in Ohio so there is no where to go and checkout air guns before you buy
You're right, 100% right, Ted won with a Impact, you should go buy an Impact, enough said.

Ted would be competitive with a 760 pump master. Remember a few years ago when everyone HAD to have an Edgun?

Take an FX, spend months tinkering with infinite adjustment combinations and (if you really know what you're doing) you end up with something comparable to a RAW. That's the best case.. My RAW shoots sub MOA all day with unsorted ammo. All I did was set the trigger to my liking and made a small tweak to the hammer spring. That's it! Sure, that takes the fun out of "tuning" (I get that) 

If you derive as much enjoyment from testing / tuning as you do shooting, go FX. No guarantee that it'll shoot like a RAW when the dust settles, but knock yourself out! 

Brian

Great topic dfresh, but can easily turn south quickly, kinda like the Ford,Chevy and Mopar guys shooting birds at each other...lol. I personally never owned a FX rifle so i cant say much about them... I personally compete ALOT mostly 25m BR, and Ive never seen a FX rifle on the firing line of a national event. I started shooting 75-100 yard this year and will be at EBR shooting the newest .25 cal RAW. Yes Ted won it all last year and im glad he did, because it spawned a new .25 Raw made and designed with one thing in mind long range. I recieved the #1 prototype and ive ran over 50 tins of 34gr mk1 and mk2 pellets down the tube 15,000-20,000 shots, and NEVER has had a issue. I own 4 Raws .30, .25 and .177x2. When i have questions i know i can call RAW and personally talk to the builder/designer without any automation or being placed on hold.
RAW is very simple design, low maintenance, yes they are on the heavy side, but theres weight reduction options when you place your order, for instance my .25 has a poplar stock, with a black tactical coating. After EBR ill remove the heavy 10-50 Sightron scope and use a lighter 4-16 for hunting, instAnt 8-9lb rifle!
Hope this helps with your questions
heres some pics of my EBR .25, and long range results from this morning.

Reactions: Dairyboy
f6b50114ca9f95d1094614826d5d1f3e.jpg

75yds
10f67d6feff86fd6aa6960a53e142b98.jpg

100yds
100 yard video

Reactions: piffy and mmahoney
Thanks guys,great input. Super shout out to Salti these are the things I want to see. 
I like that the RAWs are handmade and they are a little more powerful than the FX guns.
But I do like the power adjustability of Crown/Impact but im not really into tuning,yet,lol .
I do have a wildcat which performs remarkable, so kinda waiting to see what happens as
more crowns come out. But being handmade and obvious great customer service has me 
leaning toward the RAW. 
Hey Salti is your .25 RAW the 1000x or is there a newer model coming out.

"dfresh4702"What are your thoughts between .25 and .30 ? Then there is the new RAW.357?
I want the .25 for the flatter trajectory but was reading that past about 150-175 the 
.30 retains more fps. Between your RAW .25 &.30 which do you favor for hunting,
which for target and if you had to grab just one which would it be?
Tough questions!!!! What are you hunting? I have no experience with .357, 150-175 id use .30, accuracy is about the same 100 and below. The .30 bicks wind better past 130 yards, .25 bucks wind as good u der 100 but with flatter Projectory, 25 is cheaper to shoot and you get more shots per fill. Target?? .25 all day, it is very quiet , A lot less recoil,

if I had to give up one of them it would probably be the 30.