• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Impact velocity on pigeons?

It kinda depends on where and how it hits. Hit the wing joint, and you'll break his wing and help hop off after trying to take off a couple times. 

The neck is tricky, because of how they curve. 

Breast bone can also deflect a pellet. But if you hit the meat, spine, or head, you're golden.

I dropped a pigeon the other day with my HW30S, .177, 6 FPE to the chest. It just fell over, dead on the spot. 10 yards. Entered through the upper chest, through the body cavity, and out the belly. 

Higher power is a good bet becAuse even a breast bone hit will mean lights-out. You just don't have to be so careful.

I have shot them at night in a barn. I did use the Diana on that. I emptied the barn of them in 5 minutes flat, it was more like pest control than hunting. The place I have now has a silo with a steel cover 30 yards from the barn that they like to land on, then fly in and perch on the upper rim. I take them when they first land on the silo. I find it more like hunting than pure eradication. I have a friend that like to eat them so it's good all the way around.