Tuning Impact reg. pressure/tune to shoot 40 grain .22 caliber slugs

Well said! Especially with the vapor ware prototype stuff they use. I went from a marauder mk1 to an impact m3 thinking it would have the power potential advertised and precision right out of the box. Days of tuning tinkering and finding the root of inconsistencies later im close. The marketing on slug liners is over stated too. You can shoot 150 yards with a pellet liner and light slugs all day long.

As my shooting buddy and i are learning, a 500mm maverick with a heavier hammer weight will do exactly what a box stock 700mm impact will do cranked up when both are harmonically tuned (energy and accuracy) and the mav is way easier to swap a hammer weight.
Im beginning to suspect hammer weight increase and harmonic barrel tuners are the best money spent. I shouldve known better with my experience in harmonic tuning powder burners.
I'm sticking to pellets, if you want 22 rimfire performance, it's cheaper to just get a case of stingers, pay for a tax stamp and get a supressor. my 2 cents. Slug guns get way costly, their finicky, and usually on the brink of broke down or already there.

Reactions: tommyb and bigHUN
I'm sticking to pellets, if you want 22 rimfire performance, it's cheaper to just get a case of stingers, pay for a tax stamp and get a supressor. my 2 cents. Slug guns get way costly, their finicky, and usually on the brink of broke down or already there.
As of yet, yes. The precision capability of the fx gear would be awesome once the 40 grain system is buttoned down. My match 22lr was very very close but it took just as much effort to get there. Not being a firearm has some advantages legally as well.

As for 40gr tune equipment, it would be nice if they listed the springs and hammer weights along with plenum pressure in what are effectively infomercials. Otherwise its selling you a showroom audi and implying its got their LMP1 racecar specs.

Just out of curiosity, have i mis stepped by using the huma high power hammer spring, or do i need to just bump up the plenum pressures and upgrade the 2nd reg? (160 bar prelim, but i was seeing diminishing returns in my 700mm)

As of yet, yes. The precision capability of the fx gear would be awesome once the 40 grain system is buttoned down. My match 22lr was very very close but it took just as much effort to get there. Not being a firearm has some advantages legally as well.

As for 40gr tune equipment, it would be nice if they listed the springs and hammer weights along with plenum pressure in what are effectively infomercials. Otherwise its selling you a showroom audi and implying its got their LMP1 racecar specs.

Just out of curiosity, have i mis stepped by using the huma high power hammer spring, or do i need to just bump up the plenum pressures and upgrade the 2nd reg? (160 bar prelim, but i was seeing diminishing returns in my 700mm)
I answered my own question yesterday, yes the high power sping was a mis step. Staying under the manual listed max pressure, i ran out of barrel i think with the 700m.
Standard m3/22 spring
14.4gram hammer
168 bar plenum pressure
31.2 nsa @1030fps is about where it starts to fall off in my setup.

As slugs get longer and heavier don't they require a faster twist or push them faster I know that is the way it works in pb world the longer heavier boat tails require a faster twist rate but some times if you push them faster you can get away with a tad slower twist rate for pellets the twist rate is probably just fine but when you get into 1000 to 1100 range starting to get into 22 lr range isn't standard long rifle like 1 in 16 twist rate I'm just curious to what kind of twist rates are in FX superior heavy
Superior heavy is 1/18 twist. And yah your right on the money. You can just look at a bullet stability calculator to see what your barrel will most likely stabilize well. A lot of airgunners are kind of stuck on speed. Turns out barrel twist matters a whole loy more.

Superior heavy is 1/18 twist. And yah your right on the money. You can just look at a bullet stability calculator to see what your barrel will most likely stabilize well. A lot of airgunners are kind of stuck on speed. Turns out barrel twist matters a whole loy more.
Both correct on twist. The difference is what cal?
Screenshot_20230422_064610.jpg

Last edited:
Great info guys. Not really good news, but realistic.
I have a original Impact(Smooth Twist).25 version. Added some upgrades like a power plenum and 700 mm barrels. Running 122 bar(Edgun digital gauge)on the reg. Shooting 34gn K.O. And 32&34 gn H&N in the 960-950 fps range.
With a clean slug liner I can get 3-5 shots with very good consistency. Then a few flyers or POI shift for 3-5 shots. Then back to original aim point for a couple more shots. Then a POI shift/fliers for a few shots. This repeats itself over and over. Pulling a dry patch shows random thin strips of lead coming from the barrel. I am assuming these deposits are ruining my consistency. I’ve polished the barrels. Tried different lubes/waxes. Still the same effects with only slight changes in consistency. In my case, the H&N 249.5 size seems to be a tiny bit better. Any tips or ideas???

So I’m planning on going back to the superior pellet liner for a bit just to check if it is actually better or worse than I remember. Also I just ordered a tensioning kit and power block. Was also thinking about running the reg at 140-145 and retuning, but Im not convinced that it will help much until I can get the barrel leading problem under control. Please share any thoughts.

John

My .22 Impact has the power block, tungsten hammer and the 800mm tensioned barrel. I tried the 40 grain but the highest I pushed my reg was 180ish. Still did not produce the velocities a certain South African mentions. I also didn't like the sounds or feel my of my impact running that hard.
I dropped the reg down to 155, and with the same setup I'm comfortably shooting 31.2 grain NSA's like a laser beam at 1040fps. Which is giving me 75lbs of energy.
I'm going to leave the 40 grain projectiles to the .25's and .30's.

Reactions: Centercut
Great info guys. Not really good news, but realistic.
I have a original Impact(Smooth Twist).25 version. Added some upgrades like a power plenum and 700 mm barrels. Running 122 bar(Edgun digital gauge)on the reg. Shooting 34gn K.O. And 32&34 gn H&N in the 960-950 fps range.
With a clean slug liner I can get 3-5 shots with very good consistency. Then a few flyers or POI shift for 3-5 shots. Then back to original aim point for a couple more shots. Then a POI shift/fliers for a few shots. This repeats itself over and over. Pulling a dry patch shows random thin strips of lead coming from the barrel. I am assuming these deposits are ruining my consistency. I’ve polished the barrels. Tried different lubes/waxes. Still the same effects with only slight changes in consistency. In my case, the H&N 249.5 size seems to be a tiny bit better. Any tips or ideas???

So I’m planning on going back to the superior pellet liner for a bit just to check if it is actually better or worse than I remember. Also I just ordered a tensioning kit and power block. Was also thinking about running the reg at 140-145 and retuning, but Im not convinced that it will help much until I can get the barrel leading problem under control. Please share any thoughts.

John
Huma regs, barrel tensioner whether home made shroud spacer or carbon tube and the carbon liner stiffner and harmonic tuners helped rectify those issuee in my circle of friends. A similar effect was noticed when moving to higher pressures to control valve open dwell more consistently. Ironically the 2 high power setups are running 165 bar. (500mm 25 maverick shooting 34s, and a 700 mm m3 impact 22 shooting 34s. Both at +/- 990 fps)

Last edited:
Reactions: nitrowoodtic
I don't want to fill 3 pages of my R&D and how much is my cost so far chasing that .25 slugs tail , I have tried possibly everything we can find tuning tips in this entire forum. I got plenty of power available, I built a monster Impact, but looks like not the speed the limiting factor.
The only is remaining - sizing slugs for a given liner, but so far I have not seen the bushing anywhere on shelfs. I sluged my liners and I would need 0.249; 0.2485; 0.248; 0.2475; 0.2475 sizers to start with .25 also 4 or 5 sizes for .22.
Tinkering now to outsource these bushings to a CNC lathe shop and still do the diamond lapping myself.

I don't want to fill 3 pages of my R&D and how much is my cost so far chasing that .25 slugs tail , I have tried possibly everything we can find tuning tips in this entire forum. I got plenty of power available, I built a monster Impact, but looks like not the speed the limiting factor.
The only is remaining - sizing slugs for a given liner, but so far I have not seen the bushing anywhere on shelfs. I sluged my liners and I would need 0.249; 0.2485; 0.248; 0.2475; 0.2475 sizers to start with .25 also 4 or 5 sizes for .22.
Tinkering now to outsource these bushings to a CNC lathe shop and still do the diamond lapping myself.
I will have to see about getting a pic of my buddies notes. Im curious what the issue is generally. Fliers or deviation? Hes got A mav but got the 500mm to do it and velocity spread is sooo low. I make air gun parts for us and it took a fiew custom hammer weights and barrel tensioners, probe mods and seating depth changes. The harmonic tuner really paid off for this tho. Seeing as you and i both have impacts it may help. Ditching the fx amp regs and upping your pressure and finding the fine line of over-hammering it may be a trick. I found mine doesnt like violent hammer strikes with the 14.4g tungsten hammer. Meanwhile the mav is using a 20 something hammer!

NOE has sizing dies. for 25 airgun to get down to .248. you then need to go under this one to get the .247 and smaller if needed. you could take the smaller sizes and lap them out to the bigger half steps you're after. example: take a .248 sizer lap it to .2485. Be the faster and probalby the most economical way to get there versus getting units tool and machined out to the specs

What problem are you having? I was shooting 0.25 NSA slugs with my crown today. No tail chasing, just hitting what I want to hit. No issues hitting 3/4 inch spinner at 75 yards and 2 inch rocks at 120 yards with ease as long as wind doesn't kick up unexpectedly.

Reactions: bigHUN
yes, I am aware of what is available, but I cannot make the holes smaller :) so I would still need to outsource couple bushings. Looks like I will make a whole set from scratch and source to a single shop.
I realize you can't make holes smaller, but you can make smaller holes bigger. We are only talking about making a hole .0005 larger. So a .247 diameter bushing could be turned to a .2475 diameter by lapping