Tuning Impact reg. pressure/tune to shoot 40 grain .22 caliber slugs

I've seen the South Africans shooting the new H&N 40 grain slugs at 1000(?) FPS (90 FPE), and am wondering how high of a reg. pressure is used, if the reg. is stock, what sort of hammer spring and weights are used to get this FPE and overcome the high back pressure on the valve? 

The reason I ask is that I had recently tuned a .22 Maverick, and used the .30 hammer weight with the power kit weights (washers), Ernest transfer port, Superior Heavy liner, 155 bar reg. pressure, and got about 950 FPS with NSA 31.2 grain slugs (62.5 FPE). 

So can someone explain the magic to get 90 FPE from a .22 caliber Impact (I'm assuming is like 180 to 190 bar reg. pressure and all that goes with it)? Is it reliable? Heavier valve components and high pressure reg.?

Did you get hold of an 800mm barrel? I'm pretty sure that is what they were using.

Nope... And neither did anyone else not paid by FX since they aren't available yet. Plus as you know, you get about 50 FPS for an extra 4 inches length, so even with a 700mm barrel they'd be getting over 80 FPE... I think they're working on the stiffening system so the 800mm barrel doesn't function as a bull whip...

According to videos they did it with the 700 mm barrel; also said that the 800mm barrels would be announced at SHOT SHOW.
I for one cannot afford 3 or 4 slug barrel kits and pick out an accurate one. A friend got the latest FX 700mm heavy slug .22 and put it on his fully tuned Impact II but 40gr Zans we’re a no go in the accuracy dept. l was going to get that barrel but no longer. His Impact .30 is fantastic with heavy slugs.!! Go figure—maybe I too will try the .30 cal route for the ultimate slug gun! I picked the 22 cal so I could afford to shoot more! I have pellet guns that are awesome out to 100 yds; thus the need for me is beyond that and I want the heaviest, most accurate slug I can get for knockdown power at extended ranges. For me it will be a proven barrel of MOA or less.

Agree, I couldn't get the .22 Superior Heavy to shoot the NSA 31.2 accurately. I do know that the.25 caliber old(er) Slug A shoots the heavy NSA slugs brilliantly. I shoot the 43.5 gr. at about 920 FPS, and its MOA at 100 yards, sometimes better. It also shoots the NSA 38.9 dish base slugs at 970 FPS accurately. It also shoots the ZAN 44 gr. boat tail accurately at about 920 FPS. I have a Superior Heavy liner but the Slug A is so good I haven't tried it, and instead found a spare .25 Slug A as a backup... I'm shooting at about 83 FPE... Reg at135 bar.

I'm not 100% sure about these numbers since I switched my 22cal Maverick Sniper over to .25cal, but before I did I think I was at 160/145, which is what it is at now, and shooting 33.95 Beast at 945fps. I did it with the .25cal hammer weight as that .30cal hammer weight seems to like the pressure even higher. The was with slug probe, 25cal hammer weight, and Ernest Row Slug transfer port, Interesting enough though when I put the 25cal 700mm barrel on it shooting 33.95 MKII's it shoot 1005 fps at the same reg setting. My guess on the 800mm 22cal barrel on a Maverick would be about 80-85 foot pounds. I thought I saw Ernest Row recommend 180/150 bar fill for the 22cal with slugs, but I haven't tried it yet. I'm going to this week just to see what I can get. 

Reactions: monstr2
Of the eight FX liners I have got hold of, both new and used, in various versions and calibers, all have shot MOA at 100 yards for the 30, 25 and often even the.22 and one hole groups at 50 yards for the .177.

This includes the early STX liner, the Slug A, as well as the Superior and Superior Heavy. 

Feed them what they like and they are all lasers.

EDIT;

Now that I think of it I did get one bad one and it did not shoot as well as I thought it should. But the rifling was clearly double stamped at the crown end so I sent it back and they sent me a good one.

Quit being so power hungry Bricker! Haha, and don’t forget to try a 20 gram hammer weight 👍🏻 

On a serious note, I really don’t know why FX supports utubers using mods no one can get for six months or at all? It really does just irritate the poope out of me and I don’t think I’m alone? Video R&D I guess? Blah

Ha! I went down the high power .22 slug path with abject failure, and went crawling back to .25 cal. with my tail between my legs. I'm sticking with .25 and only went up in power with the NSA 43.5 since I was at 890 FPS and it worked great, but wanted to see if the 44 gr. ZAN Boat Tails would shoot well faster since they were OK at 890 but might be better at 920 to 925 FPS. Unfortunately they were good but not as good as the 43.5 NSA... 

All I did was add a hammer weight to the tune, kept the reg. the same, everything else the same, and it went from 890 to 920 FPS. I'm not really a power head, we've talked about that before with the 44.75 pellets .30 caliber. I am slowly moving away from the .22 RDMs, they've broken my heart one too many times, and the .30 is good, but I think the .25 King Heavy can be better - we'll see this season! ;)

Reactions: coloradochris
I tried the ZAN 40 gr in my maverick and impact and first I cant get no where close to 1000 fps secondly they were not accurate ,

However the 31.2 nsa are lazers in my setups I got a 500mm a 600mm and a 700mm , actually my 600mm is best , maybe due to harmonics ?? that I can swap from impact to maverick .

My gun shoots well at 60 to about 65fpre , when I max it out say 70sFPE my shot count and accuracy suffer greatly ,

I am not sure if it is twist or harmonics I have to think it is harmonics but this is a guess , my reason for saying this is my Taipan , my Rti and my edgun shoot the 40gr better and they have traditional barrels , I know with mine cranked to max it is not good to hunt with and it is not spread from chrono causing groups to open up ,

If them Videos are 100% honest and not just Marketing Hype by paid advertisers then them guns are highly modified and you wont buy one to shoot like this ,

LOU

As slugs get longer and heavier don't they require a faster twist or push them faster I know that is the way it works in pb world the longer heavier boat tails require a faster twist rate but some times if you push them faster you can get away with a tad slower twist rate for pellets the twist rate is probably just fine but when you get into 1000 to 1100 range starting to get into 22 lr range isn't standard long rifle like 1 in 16 twist rate I'm just curious to what kind of twist rates are in FX superior heavy 

Has anyone tried putting huma 35 power kit on their 30. Man the spring I can barely compress the spring. Currently not messing my setups. But I'm thinking maby after spring season.
IMG_20220215_191103.1644981625.jpg

Reactions: monstr2
Quit being so power hungry Bricker! Haha, and don’t forget to try a 20 gram hammer weight
1f44d-1f3fb.svg

On a serious note, I really don’t know why FX supports utubers using mods no one can get for six months or at all? It really does just irritate the poope out of me and I don’t think I’m alone? Video R&D I guess? Blah

Ha! I went down the high power .22 slug path with abject failure, and went crawling back to .25 cal. with my tail between my legs. I'm sticking with .25 and only went up in power with the NSA 43.5 since I was at 890 FPS and it worked great, but wanted to see if the 44 gr. ZAN Boat Tails would shoot well faster since they were OK at 890 but might be better at 920 to 925 FPS. Unfortunately they were good but not as good as the 43.5 NSA... 

All I did was add a hammer weight to the tune, kept the reg. the same, everything else the same, and it went from 890 to 920 FPS. I'm not really a power head, we've talked about that before with the 44.75 pellets .30 caliber. I am slowly moving away from the .22 RDMs, they've broken my heart one too many times, and the .30 is good, but I think the .25 King Heavy can be better - we'll see this season! ;)

I’m with you on the 22rdm, I just can’t get rid of the occasional flyers? Clean, dirty, superior, superior hvy, 1030fps down to 850? Can shoot incredibly good out to about 80 yds, sometimes only 1 out of 50, but that’s to many in our game! Sad, because some of my best practice cards have been with that set up, but throwing a 3 in the middle of 9’s and 10’s with no wind change is to damn frustrating and a total lose of confidence in the setup. Damn things are like a box of chocolates, right?
and I’m working over the 25 cal heavy’s also? Quit copying me! Sheesh. Haha good luck and see you soon👍🏻

Has anyone tried putting huma 35 power kit on their 30. Man the spring I can barely compress the spring. Currently not messing my setups. But I'm thinking maby after spring season.
IMG_20220215_191103.1644981625.jpg

Any idea how much that top one weighs? I’ve made a lot of those and by the size of the head on that sucker, she is real heavy? 14-18 grams maybe? Wow and you get the spring shim from that also! That would probably open the valve at 170 bar+? Guessing.

I’m with you on the 22rdm, I just can’t get rid of the occasional flyers? Clean, dirty, superior, superior hvy, 1030fps down to 850? Can shoot incredibly good out to about 80 yds, sometimes only 1 out of 50, but that’s to many in our game! Sad, because some of my best practice cards have been with that set up, but throwing a 3 in the middle of 9’s and 10’s with no wind change is to damn frustrating and a total lose of confidence in the setup. Damn things are like a box of chocolates, right?
and I’m working over the 25 cal heavy’s also? Quit copying me! Sheesh. Haha good luck and see you soon👍🏻

Exactly, when the RDMs are good, they are VERY good and probably the most precision pellet that we shoot at 100 yards, and certainly at 75 yards. Its the endless sorting to only at best REDUCE the chances of a flyer. I was shooting unsorted RDMs this past weekend from my .22 Delta Wolf with slow twist barrel at about 940 FPS and it was a total LASER. I was putting all five shots inside the 9 ring on EBR sized bullseyes at 101 yards. I even put 20 shots inside an MOA at 101 yards. And just when I was getting that warm and fuzzy "oh hell yeah" feeling, WHAM! A corkscrew about a foot to the left of the target!!! 

Now there are some wing nuts on here that will tell you its never the pellet's fault, and that its always the wind, or the gun. Obviously through experience we know that isn't true. Twice in 2021 in separate tournaments I got screwed by a flyer with RDMs, and I'm not talking an inch, I'm talking outside the 4 ring. Once at the Team event it dropped me from 2nd to 8th, and once at EBR it caused me not to make the 100Y finals on Sunday. BOTH times it was a corkscrew outside the 4 ring, so a "3" in points... I'm going to call RDMs "box of chocolates" from now on!

So as they say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me... I looked at .30 and my old Bobcat Mk2, and it could be good, but just doesn't have the precision of the Red Wolf HP with RDMs (most of the time). But I've been looking at the .25 Heavy for about a year now, and think that just might be the answer. Haven't seen any bad flyers, and the King Heavy has a significantly better BC than the .30 pellets. I guess we'll see at RMAC? See you then! 

and I’m working over the 25 cal heavy’s also? Quit copying me! Sheesh. Haha good luck and see you soon
1f44d-1f3fb.svg

Exactly, when the RDMs are good, they are VERY good and probably the most precision pellet that we shoot at 100 yards, and certainly at 75 yards. Its the endless sorting to only at best REDUCE the chances of a flyer. I was shooting unsorted RDMs this past weekend from my .22 Delta Wolf with slow twist barrel at about 940 FPS and it was a total LASER. I was putting all five shots inside the 9 ring on EBR sized bullseyes at 101 yards. I even put 20 shots inside an MOA at 101 yards. And just when I was getting that warm and fuzzy "oh hell yeah" feeling, WHAM! A corkscrew about a foot to the left of the target!!! 

Now there are some wing nuts on here that will tell you its never the pellet's fault, and that its always the wind, or the gun. Obviously through experience we know that isn't true. Twice in 2021 in separate tournaments I got screwed by a flyer with RDMs, and I'm not talking an inch, I'm talking outside the 4 ring. Once at the Team event it dropped me from 2nd to 8th, and once at EBR it caused me not to make the 100Y finals on Sunday. BOTH times it was a corkscrew outside the 4 ring, so a "3" in points... I'm going to call RDMs "box of chocolates" from now on!

So as they say, fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me... I looked at .30 and my old Bobcat Mk2, and it could be good, but just doesn't have the precision of the Red Wolf HP with RDMs (most of the time). But I've been looking at the .25 Heavy for about a year now, and think that just might be the answer. Haven't seen any bad flyers, and the King Heavy has a significantly better BC than the .30 pellets. I guess we'll see at RMAC? See you then!

Taking the thread into a side tunnel.

per the king heavy, I would suggest buying them in large lots.

I’ve seen them vary quite drastically from batch to batch. Primarily skirt depth. Directly impacted accuracy. 

I may be wrong ;) but if you need more speed out of a 700mm (barrel) liner .... why don't you make a threaded extension at front? No need rifling but a close ID is enough to keep accelerating the bullet.

Late 2019 and early 2020 I was waiting some 3-4 months for my MK2 Impact to arrive , and I had plenty of time to read a lot but mostly just watching pictures. I can recall seeing threads even here @ AGN ppl were making extensions to mimic the 700 barrels. I would assume you shall remember as well since you guys longer in this business.