• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Impact Redesign

That looks like a good sold piece. Nice machine work too. Since it appears you have access to a machining center to make things, check this crude print out. Feel free to use my design, modify it, mass produce it, or what have you. It essentially makes the back of the Impact one solid piece, once screwed together, and adds plenum volume.

1592831757_13570942245ef0af0dae32a8.09618547.jpg

From an engineering point of view, making a pressure tank square in cross section can be dangerous if one doeas not know what one is doing. The forces involved behave quiet different than on a cylindrical tube. The flat walls probably has to be allot thicker compared to a tube. If you ever get one made, you must be sure it can handle the pressure.

Thanks for the education @Tor47 . I will have to rethink how to make the front and back blocks one stout piece. Simply making the bottom of this part radiused, as a cylinder and machining the internal plenum space cylindrical to match would do it I suppose. The concept could be ran on a computer for stresses, made, then pressure tested for sure.

That looks like a good sold piece. Nice machine work too. Since it appears you have access to a machining center to make things, check this crude print out. Feel free to use my design, modify it, mass produce it, or what have you. It essentially makes the back of the Impact one solid piece, once screwed together, and adds plenum volume.

From an engineering point of view, making a pressure tank square in cross section can be dangerous if one doeas not know what one is doing. The forces involved behave quiet different than on a cylindrical tube. The flat walls probably has to be allot thicker compared to a tube. If you ever get one made, you must be sure it can handle the pressure.

Thanks for the education @Tor47 . I will have to rethink how to make the front and back blocks one stout piece. Simply making the bottom of this part radiused, as a cylinder and machining the internal plenum space cylindrical to match would do it I suppose. The concept could be ran on a computer for stresses, made, then pressure tested for sure.

I have some engineering background, and the weak points in a rectangular tank, is the corners (if I remember my long ago education right), as the pressure will try to pull the walls out, and have bending forces on the corners. You have corectly rounded off the corners to minimize stress there. But a cylindrical form is much safer, as the force are even distributed in the metal. The most dangerous factor is if you have pressure going up and down in the long run, and a microscopic crack in on of the corners can build up over time and lead to failure, after some years, even if the tank pass a pressure test. I do not know if a plenum would be regarded having static pressure or not, as the pressure variation is probably not much. But at the same time it does vary on each shot, with many thousand cycles, if you use the gun for several years.

I have some engineering background, and the weak points in a rectangular tank, is the corners (if I remember my long ago education right), as the pressure will try to pull the walls out, and have bending forces on the corners. You have corectly rounded off the corners to minimize stress there. But a cylindrical form is much safer, as the force are even distributed in the metal. The most dangerous factor is if you have pressure going up and down in the long run, and a microscopic crack in on of the corners can build up over time and lead to failure, after some years, even if the tank pass a pressure test. I do not know if a plenum would be regarded having static pressure or not, as the pressure variation is probably not much. But at the same time it does vary on each shot, with many thousand cycles, if you use the gun for several years.

Nice information, made me remember my old question to my self.

Why an airplane doesn't have square window

A litle off topic, but airplanes actually did had square windows, all the way to the 1950`s or so. Until sadly there was some fatal accidents. The many long time cycles off the pressurized cabins, between flights suddenly lead to failures and accidents. Air crash investigators found the cause, and science did catch up, and changes was made. Nowadays the windows are either oval, round, or have the corners rounded off.

A litle off topic, but airplanes actually did had square windows, all the way to the 1950`s or so. Until sadly there was some fatal accidents. The many long time cycles off the pressurized cabins, between flights suddenly lead to failures and accidents. Air crash investigators found the cause, and science did catch up, and changes was made. Nowadays the windows are either oval, round, or have the corners rounded off.

...and all the windows got a small little hole on the bottom of a middle "glass" ;)