• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Impact no shroud with Ronin extension

I would like to remove the shroud and use a CF tube to tension the barrel assembly. I did some testing today shooting no shroud straight off the barrel this thing is very loud. With the Ronin it is definitely more tame however it is considerably louder than the shroud and the Ronin. I can not shoot the impact on the property with it this loud. With the factory shroud and Ronin it is acceptable.

I have done some approximate calculations of the volume of the factory shroud taking into account and subtracting the displaced volume of the barrel 700mm .25 MKII.

cubic volume approximate

stock shroud = 147026.5 mm

Ronin extension = 265162.5 mm

so the extension is apx a 55% increase in volume over the shroud

has anyone experimented with the Ronin/Extension vs shroud and Ronin?

The sound meter showed up today I took some time to get familiarized with the meter and software. this is the data we collected

FX IMPACT MkII PP 700mm .25CAL set at reg psi 150bars power wheel set to max shooting 34gr JSB exact MkII (it should be noted as I do not shoot 34gr jsb at this setting but it is the highest setting with the current tune and the least expensive ammo on hand. current tune is for 36.2gr NSA slugs with the power wheel at 5 and 34gr JSB at 3) gun was tethered with inline regulator set at a constant 250 bar fill. Test was done the basement due to the weather constraints of northern Minnesota.

full disclaimer the door you see in the picture that is a door to nowhere old door as a JIC backstop for the potential unintended discharge missing the intended target of plastic tote filled with recycled tire mulch/poly mesh/wood. 

Meter is a ENNOLOGIC eS528L at approximately 36.00in from the barrel apx due to distance varying slightly depending on moderator/barrel configurations. 5 shots each with the highest reading recorded.

20210311_143917.1615528316.jpg
20210311_144927.1615528317.jpg
20210311_234126.1615528318.jpg

Reactions: kirkb
Thank you, 1MOA!! 👍🏼

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that an indoor test (not a sound chamber) has a big effect on the test results, as the sound echoes and comes back to the sound meter several times and it bounces through the room from wall to wall.

➔ Hopefully someone with a better understanding will comment.

I sure hope you get better weather soon — I'm in my office with temps in the high 80's — and I'd send some good weather your way — but Peru's mailing service is not to be trusted...! 😄

Matthias

I feel your meter readings will all be in a similar measurement neighborhood regardless of sound suppression devices because, as Matthias said, the indoor environment will reflect and refract all sounds right back into the microphone.

When the wx clears up you really should try a session in an outdoor environment. Also if your meter (I don't know your make) has separate dB ranging capabilities you should try setting it on one of the mid-ranges (I use the 70-120 dB range myself when testing outside) to get more spread out readings thereby more easily seeing/measuring exactly how much louder/softer of an output each setup is producing.

Just a trying-to-be-helpful suggestion.👍