• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Impact Musings

Well, I have seen a lot of things, both good and bad about the FX Impact on the forums and I personally can understand some of the frustration. As an owner of said rifle in .25, I'm here to say that I too had problems with mine. I decided to forfeit the warranty in order to have Ernest bring it up to speed. He tuned it and fixed a few broken parts (actually my broken gun part in one of his videos) one of which is the updated design machined by the master himself. He has a video on that redesigned valve seat on YouTube.

Also a high five for Ted and Matt for their videos on tuning the Impact. I'm shooting at 830 fps and Ted's right...you can "hear" when things fall into harmony. 
So I'm posting some targets from last night. The gun is now shooting some of the best groups I've seen. Yes, I wish it had done this right out of the box but not going to try to defend it.

No, I'm not trying to "sell" the Impact here...just giving an update. It's an ambitious design which has gone through some growing pains but it'll get there.

I was going to hit the store and get some food on my way home from work yesterday evening but it was a perfectly clear, crisp evening with NO WIND. Opted to raid the "hurricane survival stash" for dinner, instead! Mmmmm, Dinty Moore Beef Stew!!
So, set some targets out at 75 yds and then, right at sunset, shot a target out at 100 yards, (actually 102 yd), and the first shot totally missed the target! WHAT?!?... I had forgotten to reset the turret from 75 to 102. The low hit was the first shot after reset. I forgot to fire off a shot to settle the scope so it came in low...all the rest grouped great. The 75 yard groups are hard to believe...and of course..... no witnesses or camera....but Scouts' Honor.

No brag here except on the gun, which is living up to it's potential, thanks to Ernest's help.

Hoping that FX continues to iron out the bugs.
KPinNC

1a8f1c5ca8b17aa1cd3056fada28a727.jpg

a594a13fb4f73e8c6675e4a92b335ce7.jpg

1c40059621783f7f91128975bdf06ea3.jpg

Fantastic, looks like you have it cracked. I'm still working on mine.

I agree with all you say re the Impact. They are like a philharmonic orchestra, one section not in tune and the results are horrible. 

FWIW my .02c.
  • Make note of the factory settings.
  • Be methodical, change one parameter at a time.
  • Forget warranty, get intimate with the rifle. If you don’t, it will always be in the shop.
  • Ted, Matt and Ernest are the “holy Trinity” when it comes to the Impact. They will know what and how. There will be a video.
  • Clean the barrel, it makes a huge difference.
Thing’s I’m less impressed with.
  • The telescoping shroud. I want fixed like the .25 and .30.
  • The screws rust. For a field rifle rather than a range queen, this is an oversight for a rifle in this price range. Grease them up at the factory FFS
  • The poor bipod mounting option.
  • The manometers are a joke. How about something with an ability to show a 10bar increment at least.
Thing I love.
  • It’s short
  • It’s accurate.
  • You can hang enough toys on it without aftermarket modifications.
  • When it’s “on song” I’ve seen nothing to touch it for doing what I use it for.
I think the more this rifle is out there the better we will understand them and the better they will become.

Happy shooting. 

Yep, after about 2 months of up and down, back and forth. adjusting this and that and back. I've finally got less than a 2" group @100yds and holding that out to 135 yds.' (my longest range @ this time. 
​Sorry, no pics. I've come close to giving up a couple times but I think I'm close enough to be satisfied. The problem is you (I) expect too much. I can't shoot as well as Ted and Matt , etc. This is my 3rd gun since I started in March of this years I finally realized I don't need to hit a gnat @100yds. That magic 2" circle will be close enough generally to get your varmint or impress you fellow shooters. If you really watch the shooters they eventually post their misses. Then you can come to grips with reality. you don't always hit the bull, there are way too many variables. Once I came to grips with that I shot a lot better with a lot better satisfaction. 2 cents worth. I was way too hard on myself and the gun. now on wheel 1 870 fps and 2 905 psi 130 on reg. ​yesterday I had 90 shot still on the reg!!!!. hmmm. not bad. that why I said I think I've finally got it. we'll find out in a few more trips to the range! Incidentally I started with a 22 Marauder an excellent beginner and accurate to 50yds. then a 22 Wildcat (really my favorite) pellet on pellet out to 50 yds. and will shoot 2-3" @ 100, I can hit a can @135 also. then the Impact (I watched too many you tube videos) I wanted a 25 and a little more long range punch. (varmint hunting!)

Keyman, Yeah, I get what you are saying. I knew that the gun could do better and now I have achieved that. So I've done it and now I think I can just sit back and start having more fun when I get the chance to shoot, knowing that I'll be able to hit just about anything bigger than 1-2" at 100 yd. Maybe won't be hitting Vols as they pop their heads up 100 yards away but look out anything bigger!!!
I dropped and broke my Pro-chrono about a month ago and was really tempted not to get another ....just quit testing and just have some fun...but I wound up getting another. Not using it near as much now.
Man, I saw a Wildcat in the flesh at the NC Air gun show yesterday and I really like the look and feel of that gun. Hmmm might have to consider on down the road as my next purchase.
Anyway, better get out there on this beautiful Sunday and sling some lead.