• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Impact, Maverick, any chassis gun that uses AR style pistol grip

I'd imagine some of you know this, but for those that don't, there ARE grips on the market that make holding the pistol grip on your chassis guns...MUCH...more comfortable.

I have a Prophet and a Maverick. I don't like the grip angle on either. While I can put my hand in a position to properly aim and fire, it's just not what it could be. I started looking. Seems that there are grips from the original, at about 54° (Maverick) off of the barrel centerline. to 90° or vertical grips.

I received two of the five that I ordered, today. What a difference, as they say, "night and day". MUCH more comfortable, better hand placement, better trigger finger placement, better arm placement. 10° or 20° difference doesn't sound like much, but take it from me, my wrist, trigger finger and arm placement is a lot happier ! And then to 90°, all is much better than the original grip angles.

Stock Maverick = about 54° (from barrel centerline)

Stock Prophet = about 60°

Ergo, (Tactical Deluxe) = about 70°

Anarchy Outdoors, (Emperor) = 90°

On one hand, I like the 90° grip, but it's shaped like a box, flat sides. I like the Ergo grip because it's nicely contoured and fills my hand.

Note on the Anarchy grips (a couple different ones to choose from). There is a "shelf" for your...thumb...of your trigger hand. The right hand shooter grip has a shelf on the right side of the grip for the thumb. Like shooting a California AR-15 (or the like) with the big flag behind the grip that we have to deal with. According to the Anarchy guys, this is to lighten load or pressure on the hand, when holding the grip for long periods of time...bench shooters..! I don't know yet, I'll find out. It does fill the hand nicely, front to rear, but is slab sided.

Right now, the Ergo is on my Maverick and the Anarchy Outdoors (90°) is on my Prophet. I'll probably swap them to see how they feel on each gun.

The remaining three grips I have on order, may or may not be straighter than the original grip angle, because I knew less about what I was looking for than I did when I bought the other two.

Might be well worth a try looking into for those few that shoot offhand, and even for the rest shooters. There are various angles available. You may have to ask, if the grip..."looks" straighter, but there is no angle listed, you'll need to ask to verify. Close your eyes, put your trigger hand at about the shooting position (comfortably). Open your eyes and look at the angle of your fist. Might be more vertical than you think.

Mike

Looks like a viable alternative to this one.

Tried the Hogue?

Maybe message seller to pack 20 in one Ist class box to save on shipping. Hogues supposed to be guaranteed forever.

It's the minimum recommended if you are cheap like me. NO it's not my listing nor do I have any resale listings anywhere locally nor online nor sell anything for profit. It's a hobby and once it becomes a FOR PROFIT HOBBY it ain't fun no more.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1831360358?thm=1500

May be worth checking Bass Pro and Cabelas possibly to price check with shipping factored in too.

Looks like a viable alternative to this one.

Tried the Hogue?

Maybe message seller to pack 20 in one Ist class box to save on shipping. Hogues supposed to be guaranteed forever.

It's the minimum recommended if you are cheap like me. NO it's not my listing nor do I have any resale listings anywhere locally nor online nor sell anything for profit. It's a hobby and once it becomes a FOR PROFIT HOBBY it ain't fun no more.

https://www.ebay.com/p/1831360358?thm=1500

May be worth checking Bass Pro and Cabelas possibly to price check with shipping factored in too.

Is your note to alter the Emperor grips flat sidedness ?

It's really not that bad. just something to get used to, but yea, thanks for the heads up. The factory Maverick grip is also flat sided. The Prophet grip is more comfortable in that respect.

Still haven't shot either gun yet, tomorrow.

Another note on the Anarchy grips. Even though, they have the sorta odd, thumb shelf, you can still get a nice "normal", thumb on the other side grip hold without problem

Mike

Ok...

The Luth-AR, "Chubby" grip (as noted above) is about (average) 66°. But it's much too short or high for my hand. Puts my trigger finger at an uncomfortable, downward angle It looks like I can remove the shelf at the bottom (front and back) and provide some space to lower my hand. 

The other is a Chassis Systems, MDT. Looks to be about 68°. The palm swell seems a bit too high on the grip for me. And the "web" (between the thumb and index finger) is too thin. It puts my trigger finger too far forward. Even more so than the factory grip. I probably won't even try this one.

I'll modify the Chubby grip tomorrow and see what happens. It might be ok.

The third grip is a Pearce, 1911 style grip. It is just a frame that requires a set of Colt, 1911 grips. It's a solid 76°. I have some Colt grips to use. It's the last one I'll try.

Christmas is a little early this year.

Mike

I have both the Ergo (on my Dreamline Tactical) and the Anarchy Outdoors (Emperor - on my Impact). They are quite different in feel, but frankly, both work well. I have trouble deciding which I prefer. The Ergo has a nice, soft touch feel, quite similar to the Hogue, while the AO is essentially a hard polymer but it fits the hand well. The thumb shelf on the right side, for right handed shooters does seem to work for precision shooting, whether from the bench or offhand, but quite honestly, the difference is slight. Perhaps as I shoot it more I may see more of a difference, but right now its more of a novelty than a clear advantage.

One thing it’s for sure, trying them on my airguns has led me to order 2 of each to put on some of my ARs.

Chris

But I think I like the big fat Hogue with the palm shelf a little better. Oops, I meant Ergo. This grip is great.
image_2.1608326158.jpg

You have a very tough choice to make. The good thing is neither gun is a junker. Both are quality pieces that require nothing to push projectiles at the speed they need. Lots of room for tuning up and down. The only thing you need to address on the RTI is it’s slippery on the shoulder. But it’s a leakproof gun with only one reg to worry about. 

I went out and trimmed the lower shelf off of the Chubby grip so I could actually use it. It's way too small for my hands as purchased, more like for small to medium sized hands. Like only two fingers out of three, and not enough for the lower part of my palm had room. Now with the entire lower "flange" gone, it's actually almost comfortable, needs some final shaping.

I shot both my Prophet and Maverick this morning. 12 rounds out of each. I think I like Ergo, Flat Top Tactical a little better. While I like the vertical angle of the Emperor, its flat sides don't do anything good for me. I only need the palm side to be full, maybe I can figure out how to put something in there. I have some high dollar epoxy, just need to have a tunnel for a tool to remove the grip, time to do some filling. I shot the Emperor both with my thumb on the trigger side and the opposite side as more normal. I found it to be just as comfortable, either way. But like it was designed, if I had to be at the trigger for extended periods of time, thumb on the trigger finger side is actually much preferable. I'da never figure that..! The Prophet needs to have a little trimming of the closeout plate on that side though, as it digs into my thumb hard holding it that way.

So, in my hands, the Ergo Flat Top is number one, with the Emperor number a close second (pending modifications). I see the modified Chubby as number three, the Pearce (1911) grip as number four, the MDT, Pistol Grip, along with the two factory grips as shelf queens.

An interesting experiment. As with the thumb on the wrong side, I wouldn't have thought that a vertical,or near vertical grip would be comfortable, it is, for me anyway. You learn something...every time you experiment.

Mike

I like a vertical grip myself. I have tried the Anarchy Tuxedo to Emperor grip as well, and I liked it ok.

The one I have on my current Saber Crown is the MPA vertical grip. I love it. I had one on my powder burner, and so I had to try one on this. I love how it sets your trigger finger in position as well. it may not fit all setups perfectly, but they made it so it could easily be trimmed. I took a dremel and sand paper to mine to get a perfect fit. It worked before, but wasn’t all the way in place. 

https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/mpa-evg-enhanced-vertical-grip/

I saw the thread and start reading because this subject is very interesting to me, and wow I saw my name in some of the responses, what an honor.

When I got the Priest, my issue with the gun was that while walking with it I was always struggling to keep the gun from falling from my hands, specially when was hot and I was soaking wet, I was coming from a Taipan Veteran and I realized later how small details like these are most of the time overlooked because simply you don’t have an issue with your existing gun, but after switching to a different gun everything feels weird. 

To answer my friend Vetmx, I was just searching for something with bottom support and saw that cheap one and bought it without much research just because it solved the problem I was having and also it was so cheap that I decided to look into this at a later time.... reason why I saw this post and jumped right away to read it.

I agree that this chubby grip is kind of small for my hands, and I’ve been even thinking into creating something on the 3d printer to fit exactly my hands, I was getting ideas of a really nice grip I saw on a Leshiy, but again this is just an idea, a 3d printed grip might not work that well, I have flexible materials I can print now but I think it will be soft but not smooth to touch, I can use a hard plastic that I can polish later so it will be smooth to the touch but maybe too slippery, I really don’t think is a good idea, but that’s me, I like to experiment. Anyways I digress, I’ll look into these options presented on the post

Thanks for sharing

I live a vertical grip myself. I have tried the Anarchy Tuxedo to Emperor grip as well, and I liked it ok.

The one I have on my current Saber Crown is the MPA vertical grip. I love it. I had one on my powder burner, and so I had to try one on this. I love how it sets your trigger finger in position as well. it may not fit all setups perfectly, but they made it so it could easily be trimmed. I took a dremel and sand paper to mine to get a perfect fit. It worked before, but wasn’t all the way in place. 

https://www.anarchyoutdoors.com/mpa-evg-enhanced-vertical-grip/

I did see the MPA when looking through their web site.

Two problems. The grip appears short, which kinda put me off. If the "Chubby" is much too short for me, this one looks even shorter. Then the words, "out of stock" also caused me to back off..!

I'll probably continue to look around to see what's available. But I think I have a way to build up the palm side of my Emperor to feel comfortable.

Mike