• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

FX Impact M3 ... POI change journey.

During a shooting session?
So if you fire say a 10 rnd group ...then pause...another 10rnd group....pause and so on...say over a spread of 50 shots, the POI will remin fairly constant?

Cause that is NOT what happens with my FX..
Have you taken off the barrel and made sure everything is nice and snug? I'm not an M3 owner but if it's configured similar to my Maverick, everything along the way must be snug, that's what happened to me. You have a G'day mate. I've got a few dozen relatives down there.

Everything with the barrel is now bonded together..

The original liner is bonded with the inner FX carbon liner sleeve to the steel liner housing.
The carbon sleeve from the FX tensioner Kit" is now fitted and bonded to a larger dia 25mm carbon tube. i machined spacers that fit over the steel liner housing with orings that the outer carbon tubes are pushed onto. I no longer use the setup under tension, as i found it produced erratic , inconsistent results.

The whole barrel assembly is basically one unit now...permanently bonded together....there is no possibility of any movement and it is extremely rigid !!

When i get groups. They are excellent...sub 1/2 moa or in most cases 1/4 moa at distances far in excess of 100yds... FAR FAR better than anything obtained with the original pathetic liner setup.

Just recently i decided to open the first reg up to 210bar......and it has actually improved the POI consistency...so i really think its down to variation in air delivery AND barrel fouling as was put forward previously by @Vetmx

The barrel setup in its current config can certainly produce very very stunning groups....just need to get them to be a little more consistent in where they land!!

200 yds... Accuracy is not a problem.. :)

20230807_144508.jpgwww.jpg

20230807_144905.jpgwww.jpg

20230807_144457.jpgwww.jpg

Attachments

• 20230807_144935-(1).jpgwww.jpg
    20230807_144935-(1).jpgwww.jpg
    618.1 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Badgerfarm

Saber Tactical AR Style Vertical Grip With Thumb Rest ST0050​

Hello (from over the ditch). Very interesting thread. I'm very new to PCPs and only partway up the learning curve. My experience lies in the 22RF area and a problem I've encountered several times over the years (I.e. as my technique changes) is hold induced poi - mainly with very light rifles. I once had a Annie sporter that would shoot 5 shot groups at 50 pretty consistently in the 0.2s - but it would literally walk right round a bull during a session.

Have you encountered this sort of thing with your Impact?

Hello (from over the ditch). Very interesting thread. I'm very new to PCPs and only partway up the learning curve. My experience lies in the 22RF area and a problem I've encountered several times over the years (I.e. as my technique changes) is hold induced poi - mainly with very light rifles. I once had a Annie sporter that would shoot 5 shot groups at 50 pretty consistently in the 0.2s - but it would literally walk right round a bull during a session.

One thing to keep in mind is that the M3 is definitely not considered light. It is heavier than any powder burner I ever owned. Especially with a full bottle.

I encountered the issue just today with my M3 which has not been a problem since I've owned it (6 months). At 26 yards I was producing nice groups like how it is supported to shoot. But around every 10 or so rounds the POI shifted 1/4" in a random direction. Then, it would shoot tight groups again for another handful of rounds and shift again.

I just checked my barrel set screw, barrel clamp screws, all of the backbone screws and everything was tight. Tomorrow, I'll put another string through it with the moderator off and see if that changed anything. I doubt it as the mod was clean of pellet dust or clippings. I'm wondering, did my son drop the gun on the scope or WTH? I have a Element Titan coming so I'll throw that on to eliminate it being a damaged scope.

Currently running 28.5 NSA @ 1060fps.......

This is proving to be exceptionally accurate... holds circa 3/4 moa at 100yds and very consistent groups at150 yds + .
Since installing the backbone and basically "Bonding" every component associated with the barrel and such......it is a dramatic improvement over the crappy original factory setup!

300YDS...

M3-IMPACT-300YDS-28.5-NSA-@.jpg

Last edited:
I’m still tuning my M3 and haven’t had it long, but I have a Dreamline tac in 25 that can set for months and still bust a starling on the first shot at 80-100 yds.
What you describe would suck, not being confident in where she is going to hit.
After many years of rimfire benchrest, I’m thinking when some zero their guns they are doing so in light wind and don’t realize it until they shoot a different direction.
When I put flags out, they will slightly turn and you can’t see or feel anything. They are enough to move a 40gr rimfire bullet a bit and more so with an air gun.
My 50 and 100 yd range are down in a dished out valley and it causes some strange wind.
This was my exact thinking. If you come from powder burners, and go straight into shooting long range airguns, the poi shift even in slight wind might surprise you.

Reactions: Airgun Al
Hi all,
I am a LONG time shooter ( powder burners ) form way back ..my passion is precision and ELR. I am lucky to own a big property and have several ranges set up out to 3500mtrs to which myself an friends often shoot.

I have always had a soft spot for airguns , dating way back.
Several months ago i decided on a PCP..in this case it was the FX M3 Impact in 22cal. After watch many a video on the net and reading endless rave reviews and feedback from users i was expecting great thins from it.
Long story short........it CAN be a very accurate rifle....i have shot pellets and slugs of many types and weights. The rifle has gone from standard trim to fully modified with many aftermarket accessories.
As i previously stated. The rifle can sure shoot some very impressive groups...both in standard trim and modified...BUT!!! ..AND A BIG BUT!!! the biggest issue i have is variations with "Point Of Impact change" ....
Its one thing to shoot a group, but it would be nice to have at a constant point of aim instead of wandering .
As well as my FX , 2 close friends also have M3,s ...one bog standard and one with several aftermarket accessories. Sadly. They also suffer from the POI change.

At this point i would of put several thousand slugs and pellets downrange and spent many many hours with variations of tuning , and custom mods including all sorts of attempts to improve the very ordinary barrel /liner implementation put forward by FX.. All to no avail.

I feel that many of the online video's and reviews ONLY show the best of...but don't show the real world actual performance. I also think many FX owners potentially ignore, or don't want to acknowledge the shortcomings of the FX platform..

I am all ears to ANY recommendations from anybody that has an FX that is 100% reliable and dependable in regards to POI.

Oh.. i completely understand the the few initial shots to "wake up" an n FX......but after the initial first few shots POI should NOT be an issue.

I would love to find a 100% solution to this issue, but i am slowly residing to the fact that this might be pertinent to the design and overall operation of the FX ...which is why after much much searching and reading i have seen more and more feedback from frustrated FX owners and ex owners..

Attached a some pics of my centre fire rifles i use for ELR and my Impact

20230622_125029.jpgwww.jpg

150yds-27.5NSA-#2.jpgwww.jpg

View attachment 375872

View attachment 375873

View attachment 375875

View attachment 375878

View attachment 375880

View attachment 375881
Any change in the atmosphere, weather conditions will affect the way your gun shoots.
The beauty of the Impact, you can micro tune most of that out.

Holding zero or all settings for a day should never be an issue with an Impact. If your gun won’t then you possibly have a leading problem that comes along with slugs. The slug life compounds the small problems that come along with the Impact life. Impact pellet guns are not as temperamental.
Once to get the settings corrected to the conditions.

Hi!

Was this issue ultimately resolved? I have exactly the same issue and as a precision bench rest shooter the difference is a 7vs a ten! I can shoot 5 X and then the POI changes, I'll adjust the scope, shoot 5 X and the the POI changes - It's driving me insane!
Yes... 99% resolved ...BUT!!! a lot of work..

是的...99% 解决了...但是!!!很多工作..

具体解决方案有哪些?