• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Impact M3 First Regulator Issues

Is anyone else having issues with their first regulator?

After receiving the rifle, I increased the 2nd reg to 135bar. I noticed that the fill rate to the 2nd reg was very slow. I know its suppose to be slow, but this was verrrrry slow. Sometimes it wouldn't even "feed" the 2nd reg until 2-3 shots, only then would the first reg kick in and fill (decently quickly too). Because of this, I figured there needed to be a bigger pressure difference between the two regs, so I increased the first reg to 175bar. Still having the same issues. With bottle pressure at 250 bar, I can still shoot the first reg down to 130 before it even thinks to increase pressure to the 2nd reg. This issue is causing standard deviations of up to 15fps across 30 shots.... my MKII regularly had STD of around 4-5fps max.

Has anyone else noticed their first regs being a bit wonky?

I increased the first reg to 175bar. Still having the same issues. With bottle pressure at 250 bar, I can still shoot the first reg down to 130 before it even thinks to increase pressure to the 2nd reg.

yeah, that's weird. depending on your comfort level, i'd take the first reg apart and check things out. wonder if a wonky belleville stack could cause something like this. by wonky, i mean configured a different way than intended (e.g. )()()()( instead of ))()()((; just an example).

Reactions: Airgunmann
My maverick 30cal second stage reg has had issues since I got it. I would get swings of up to 40-50 FPS. You had to shoot fairly quickly to get the ES down, I could dry fire 3 shots in the house load a clip and walk outside and shoot a clip, it would start 40-50 FPS slow then work it’s way to target velocity for about 8 shots out of 13. I replaced it with a huma reg, it’s still breaking in and I need to adjust a little bit. 

14787F79-AB18-4EEB-B8D2-5F6DE63C58C1.1622079580.png

this was no dry firing, the gun was just filled and it is grouping a full clip(13) under 3/4in at 50 yards. I’m gonna slow it to 870-900 FPS and hope groups tighten. 

I re-stacked mine with a double stack, originally it's stack is still mixed up....

With such a short stack, the BC washers should be stacked in the same way as much as possible.

I stacked mine like this (extra washers neccesary to do this)

)) (()) (()) (

The last washer doesn't do much, I added it to fill up the stack.

After that I set it to 175b and it appears to be much more responsive.

It annoyed the crap out of me in stock form. 

That is some great insight! Thanks for sharing your modifications. I wonder if anyone else has modified their stack...

If you fill the stack with double stacked rings until you regulator piston is flush with the back side of the interface you are good to go.

Only important thing is to end the stack with a ring which supports on the outer diameter at the bottle side.

So like this for instance:

bottle )) (()) (()) (()) frame

Your 2nd Regulator is probably set to high for your desired tune. I saw another post you had where you are shooting 950fps with 29gr slugs. Try turning your reg down and see how low you can go while maintaining that speed. Your ES will improve and the plenum will actually start refilling after every shot.

I just replied to you in the other thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your advice. Unfortunately, after taking your suggestions, Im still not able to achieve consistency. I was messing around with it today, and got frustrated at the inconsistencies in my first reg, so was hopping to come back to my post from a few weeks ago to see if anyone is experiencing the same issues. I started wondering if my large ES is due to my first reg since after 500+ shots today, I still wasn't able to see any consistencies.

However, only once the bottle pressure got low enough, the ES dropped within 2-4fps. With the same tune, not touching a thing, I would fill the gun back up to 250 bar, dry fire twice, then shot a string.... ES goes crazy again until pressure drops down to 160 bar or so (this is with 2nd reg at 130 still).

Your 2nd Regulator is probably set to high for your desired tune. I saw another post you had where you are shooting 950fps with 29gr slugs. Try turning your reg down and see how low you can go while maintaining that speed. Your ES will improve and the plenum will actually start refilling after every shot.

I just replied to you in the other thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your advice. Unfortunately, after taking your suggestions, Im still not able to achieve consistency. I was messing around with it today, and got frustrated at the inconsistencies in my first reg, so was hopping to come back to my post from a few weeks ago to see if anyone is experiencing the same issues. I started wondering if my large ES is due to my first reg since after 500+ shots today, I still wasn't able to see any consistencies.

However, only once the bottle pressure got low enough, the ES dropped within 2-4fps. With the same tune, not touching a thing, I would fill the gun back up to 250 bar, dry fire twice, then shot a string.... ES goes crazy again until pressure drops down to 160 bar or so (this is with 2nd reg at 130 still).

I am having the same issue with my first regulator. Slow fill after shot and the reg drops by 40bar before filling. I got an email from FX USA support and they said it may be a faulty reg I will check the stack tonight to see if it is like they said it should be ()()()()() and then report back. 

I am having the same issue with my first regulator. Slow fill after shot and the reg drops by 40bar before filling. I got an email from FX USA support and they said it may be a faulty reg I will check the stack tonight to see if it is like they said it should be ()()()()() and then report back.

Thanks, let me know what the stack looks like. If yours isnt as FX say it should be, then I doubt mine is too.

There are definitely issues or peculiarities with this first reg. Mine is still set to the factory 150 bar. When second reg is at factory 100 bar, it seems to mostly stay at 150. I see some small swings but I'm not sure if that is just a result of temperature swings.

The other day I bumped the second reg to 120 bar to play with some slugs. First reg dropped to ~130 bar (on its own). Also seemed to be filling slow. I didn't spend much time investigating further as I was time limited and accuracy didn't seem to be affected. Second reg wasn't giving any issues that I could tell.

Something inherent to the system of the two regs, or just the first reg itself?

Edit to add: When I was done, I returned the second reg to 100 bar and the first reg self corrected back to 150 bar

There are definitely issues or peculiarities with this first reg. Mine is still set to the factory 150 bar. When second reg is at factory 100 bar, it seems to mostly stay at 150. I see some small swings but I'm not sure if that is just a result of temperature swings.

The other day I bumped the second reg to 120 bar to play with some slugs. First reg dropped to ~130 bar (on its own). Also seemed to be filling slow. I didn't spend much time investigating further as I was time limited and accuracy didn't seem to be affected. Second reg wasn't giving any issues that I could tell.

Something inherent to the system of the two regs, or just the first reg itself?

Edit to add: When I was done, I returned the second reg to 100 bar and the first reg self corrected back to 150 bar

I have not shot mine to much yet about two-three magazines... Though, I notice I don't hear that sound of the plenum filling back up after ever shot. As I noticed on videos with Maverick and MK3 Impact when the bigwigs that get first run of all the new rifles.

I will pay closer attention to the regulators closer next time I get a chance.
Why wouldn't they get the first rifles. Dont understand your statement

I just replied to you in the other thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your advice. Unfortunately, after taking your suggestions, Im still not able to achieve consistency. I was messing around with it today, and got frustrated at the inconsistencies in my first reg, so was hopping to come back to my post from a few weeks ago to see if anyone is experiencing the same issues. I started wondering if my large ES is due to my first reg since after 500+ shots today, I still wasn't able to see any consistencies.

However, only once the bottle pressure got low enough, the ES dropped within 2-4fps. With the same tune, not touching a thing, I would fill the gun back up to 250 bar, dry fire twice, then shot a string.... ES goes crazy again until pressure drops down to 160 bar or so (this is with 2nd reg at 130 still).
What about bypassing the first regulator