• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Impact M3 300 bar CF bottles.

I keep hearing about 300 bar bottles for the M3. What's the deal? All CF bottles from FX have been rated for 310 bar, even the ones on the M3 that I can see. It's it just a different valve? I know there is a difference between MKII and M3 bottles, but that's a simple part upgrade.

You have to look at the bottle labels carefully, PW (pressure working) is the actual max working (fill) pressure of the bottle, usually rated at 15 degrees celsius (59F)

PSmax is the pressure the bottle will safely handle if it was filled to the max working pressure (PW) at 15C and then heated to the maximum rated service temp (usually 60-65C) since the air will expand and pressure will rise. This is the safety margin built into the bottle to handle temperature transients within the service temperature range ("TS" on the label.)

The 250 bar bottles may say PSmax 310 bar, but the PW250 line at the top means "pressure working" 250 bar.

The 300 bar bottles are rated for PSmax 382 bar and PW300 for 300 bar working pressure.

250 bar bottle label:

250bottle.1631680056.jpeg

300 bar bottle label:

300bottle.1631680071.jpg

The 300 bar valves are also fully threaded, while the 250 bar valves are only threaded for about 1/2 their length.

Do not simply put a 300 bar fully threaded valve on a 250 bar (PW250) bottle and start filling it to 300 bar. While the 250 bar bottles will technically hold 300 bar and be safe as they're rated to 310bar PSmax at the upper end of the 60-65C max service temp, doing so doesn't leave any safety margin if you fill the bottle to 300 bar in the house at room temp and then take it to a hotter location, say going outside and leaving it in the sun or in a hot parked car. The temperature and pressure will climb and quickly exceed the maximum rated pressure. Granted there's probably quite a bit of safety margin in that PSmax rating, but I wouldn't recommend tempting fate by repeatedly filling beyond the rated working pressure / PW. A failed pressure vessel at these kinds of working pressures isn't something you want to experience...

I keep hearing about 300 bar bottles for the M3. What's the deal? All CF bottles from FX have been rated for 310 bar, even the ones on the M3 that I can see. It's it just a different valve? I know there is a difference between MKII and M3 bottles, but that's a simple part upgrade.

You have to look at the bottle labels carefully, PW (pressure working) is the actual max working (fill) pressure of the bottle, usually rated at 15 degrees celsius (59F)

PSmax is the pressure the bottle will safely handle if it was filled to the max working pressure (PW) at 15C and then heated to the maximum rated service temp (usually 60-65C) since the air will expand and pressure will rise. This is the safety margin built into the bottle to handle temperature transients within the service temperature range ("TS" on the label.)

The 250 bar bottles may say PSmax 310 bar, but the PW250 line at the top means "pressure working" 250 bar.

The 300 bar bottles are rated for PSmax 382 bar and PW300 for 300 bar working pressure.

250 bar bottle label:

250bottle.1631680056.jpeg

300 bar bottle label:

300bottle.1631680071.jpg

The 300 bar valves are also fully threaded, while the 250 bar valves are only threaded for about 1/2 their length.

Do not simply put a 300 bar fully threaded valve on a 250 bar (PW250) bottle and start filling it to 300 bar. While the 250 bar bottles will technically hold 300 bar and be safe as they're rated to 310bar PSmax at the upper end of the 60-65C max service temp, doing so doesn't leave any safety margin if you fill the bottle to 300 bar in the house at room temp and then take it to a hotter location, say going outside and leaving it in the sun or in a hot parked car. The temperature and pressure will climb and quickly exceed the maximum rated pressure. Granted there's probably quite a bit of safety margin in that PSmax rating, but I wouldn't recommend tempting fate by repeatedly filling beyond the rated working pressure / PW. A failed pressure vessel at these kinds of working pressures isn't something you want to experience...

Thank you for this detailed explanation. My late June M3 came with a 250 bar bottle.

As I knew, some dealer sell their 300 bar bottle with old version(250 bar) valve for quite long time. There were some issue reports. The new design 300 bar valve is not only upgrade to the full length thread, it also has internal upgrade like low tolerance pin hole to prevent leaking. FX continuly improve its design. I have three different 300 bar bottle valves now.

First one that came with M3 compact(May) is silver color. It's stainless steel material with pin sleeve.

Second one came with M3 sniper(August) is black color. It's a backward step to the previous material(blue steel), also with pin sleeve.

Third one was from FX for warranty. It's same as the second one, but with a much thicker pin(no pin sleeve).

Stainless steel with pin sleeve

WechatIMG313.1631808957.jpeg

4891631809231_.pic.1631809312.jpg

Blue steel with pin sleeve

4881631809231_.pic.1631809436.jpg

4861631645232_.pic_hd.1631809454.jpg

Blue steel with thicker pin

WechatIMG383.1631809515.jpeg

WechatIMG385.1631809514.jpeg

@jerrymail, and everyone going to purchase the 300bar 580cc bottle. I purchased one from TopGun Airguns and this is what I received.

image.1631811905.jpg

image.1631811929.jpg

I had the bottle on my Maverick and when I went to do a new tune the bonded washer on the Maverick blew out and all the air rushed out. I purchased two 580cc bottles, from different vendors, and the other was the silver full thread adapter. I ended up buying another bottle adapter from Talon Tunes, Tony and it was perfect.

Make sure you ask who ever you purchase from which bottle valve adapter they are using. Talon Tunes, from my personal experience, is selling the correct carbon fiber 580cc 300 bar bottles with the correct adapter. I installed the new one from Tony and have had zero issues on my Maverick or my M3 Impact.

I did call and let TopGun know of the issue and was told they know about the issue and have had others with the same type of problem; they are waiting for the new adapters as I was just told today.

I would only see FX doing that on the rifles with dual regulators. The dual reg system can use the first reg to knock down that 300 bar so it's not slamming the second regulator with that high pressure.

I have the 300 bar bottles on the M3 .35 and my .30 Maverick. With the heavier projectiles the extra 50 bar is appreciated when out shooting giving me more shots for higher power tunes...

I would only see FX doing that on the rifles with dual regulators. The dual reg system can use the first reg to knock down that 300 bar so it's not slamming the second regulator with that high pressure.

I have the 300 bar bottles on the M3 .35 and my .30 Maverick. With the heavier projectiles the extra 50 bar is appreciated when out shooting giving me more shots for higher power tunes...

Yes, that extra 50 is great when running the hot tunes!

@jerrymail, and everyone going to purchase the 300bar 580cc bottle. I purchased one from TopGun Airguns and this is what I received.

image.1631811905.jpg

I had the bottle on my Maverick and when I went to do a new tune the bonded washer on the Maverick blew out and all the air rushed out. I purchased two 580cc bottles, from different vendors, and the other was the silver full thread adapter. I ended up buying another bottle adapter from Talon Tunes, Tony and it was perfect.

Make sure you ask who ever you purchase from which bottle valve adapter they are using. Talon Tunes, from my personal experience, is selling the correct carbon fiber 580cc 300 bar bottles with the correct adapter. I installed the new one from Tony and have had zero issues on my Maverick or my M3 Impact.

I did call and let TopGun know of the issue and was told they know about the issue and have had others with the same type of problem; they are waiting for the new adapters as I was just told today.

It looks like an fx aluminum bottle valve with thicker edge. Maybe they ran out the regular bottle valves. I actually visited there several times then I asked FX for safety concern. FX knew it and I got a answer that dealer took full responsibility for what valve they used. 

There is a rumor FX will offer 300 bar 300 cc bottle first. The extra 50 bar will allow me to stop using 480/580 bottle on M3 compact.