Tuning Impact/Huma Regulator Issue

Gents,

This evening I installed a Huma regulator in my Impact and thought everything was hunky-dory until I noted the regulator set screw sat proud, or high, on the regulator housing...with a mere 100 on the regulator gauge. It sticks above the housing by about 1/32 or so. This is a no-go per the Huma directions...it shouldn't be higher than the housing.

It is the correct regulator for the gun, and I triple checked that the Belleville washers were stacked per the destructions prior to installation. It would seem another washer or two would fix this, but I'm reluctant to starting putzing around and reengineering something I'm not well versed in. I plan on taking it apart again tomorrow and checking the washer stack, but if that checks out...

What say you?

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,

Which version Impact do you have? Early MKI, X, MKII? For MKI Impacts, there are three regulator versions out there;

1. Gen 1: 14mm piston with 8mm washers
  2. Gen 2: 16mm piston with 8mm washers
  3. Gen 3: 16mm piston with 10mm washers
    [/LIST=1]

Make sure you have the correct reg for you Impact. I purchased my reg (Gen 3) direct from Huma and it came with the wrong piston. I notified them of the error and they sent a new part to me pronto. I ordered the low pressure version which came with 12 identical spring washers. The instructions said to use all 12 washers, but I could only make it work with 11. Makes me wonder if Huma sent the correct washers.

If you ordered the standard pressure washers then I believe there are two different types of washers that need to be stacked a certain way.

It also may be possible that the valve disk (little white crescent shaped plastic piece that goes between set screw and piston) got turned sideways. This would prevent you from turning the set screw all the way in.

Gents,

I figgerd' it out. I'm a crouton...

The destructions call for 12 Belleville washers, but yours truly only put in 11. The old peepers aren't what they used to be...or I have trouble counting to twelve. Here's the funny thing. The factory reg I took out of the gun only had 11 washers. Go figure...

The set screw still sits a wee bit proud of the regulator...maybe a couple of thou or so, but I'm not gonna get wrapped around the axle about it. The reg is set at 115, and 34 grain JSB's are averaging 855fps. How do those numbers sound to the veteran Impact tuners around here?

Thank you all for your replies.

Justin

Put a slug liner in your rifle, add a Huma Dual Ported High Flow Kit & Probe, add an 8 gram hammer weight, set your regulator to 150 bar, adjust your settings correctly, and then shoot your 34 grain pellets at 1055 up to 1100 ft./s for some real fun! This will yield anywhere from 85 to 90 ft. lbs. energy! WooHoo! 😁

Put a slug liner in your rifle, add a Huma Dual Ported High Flow Kit & Probe, add an 8 gram hammer weight, set your regulator to 150 bar, adjust your settings correctly, and then shoot your 34 grain pellets at 1055 up to 1100 ft./s for some real fun! This will yield anywhere from 85 to 90 ft. lbs. energy! WooHoo! 
1f601.svg

Chuck,

LMAO! You must be a mind reader! I was looking at probe kits today! Already got the slug liner...

I was playing with a buddies Impact yesterday, and he has the Huma dual port. At one point, I had 34 grain JSB's doing 860 or so...with the (factory) regulator set at 100 BAR. I thought that was pretty impressive.

Justin

Ha! Just wait until you get those 34 grainers going 1060 ft./s and see them disappearing into the first hole in the paper over and over at 50 yards! Now that's my kind of fun! One of my favorite discovery's was when I figured out that the 34's shoot extremely accurately at high velocity out of the slug liners. If you need some help with your build along the way feel free to pm me...

All the best, Chuck

Ha! Just wait until you get those 34 grainers going 1060 ft./s and see them disappearing into the first hole in the paper over and over at 50 yards! Now that's my kind of fun! One of my favorite discovery's was when I figured out that the 34's shoot extremely accurately at high velocity out of the slug liners. If you need some help with your build along the way feel free to pm me...

All the best, Chuck

Chuck,

Thank you so much for the help offer...I'm gonna need it. There is definitely a learning curve to the Impacts.

What impressed me about the 860 fps mentioned above was the reg pressure being only 100 BAR. On mine, with the factory reg, it took 140 BAR to get to that velocity range. I put the HUMA regulator in and it took 115 BAR. So for his to do it at 100 BAR with the only mod being the transfer port made me take notice.

I'll probably order one today...and try and figger' out where I'm losing air at. The reg holds just fine, but I'm losing 5 BAR an hour on the bottle gauge. Fun and games with the Impact!

Justin

Just use a small spray bottle with some Dawn dish soap & water...when you spray it on a leak it blows bubbles...an easy inexpensive way of finding leaks and it won't hurt your rifle.

Bye the way, have you installed a Power Plenum yet? If not I would definitely do so...

Chuck,

A buddy showed up with some commercially made leak detector stuff today (does the same thing as Dawn and water, only more expensive) and I was losing air at the pressure gauge. Cleaned it up a bit and tightened it. No leak! 

But...whateverthehell is underneath the pressure gauge looks pretty hammered. It looks like a squished/deformed o-ring, but the parts schematics call it an "X-ring". What is an X-ring? Never heard of such thing. And if it's just a fancy name for an o-ring, what's the size and durometer rating?

I do have the the Power Plenum on my Impact X. The gun was my buddies and he had sent it back to FX for a re-seal, and had them install the plenum.

Justin

Haha! Now you see why I told you to check that air gauge! There are different kinds of seals... some you know as O-rings, others are called X rings... and yes you described it exactly. It is sort of like an O-ring but it is thick and soft and Squishy... I believe the purpose FX using these underneath the air gauges is to allow a person to orient the gauge to his own liking and still retain a seal. Oh and I'm very happy to know that you have a power plenum on your impact

Haha! Now you see why I told you to check that air gauge! There are different kinds of seals... some you know as O-rings, others are called X rings... and yes you described it exactly. It is sort of like an O-ring but it is thick and soft and Squishy... I believe the purpose FX using these underneath the air gauges is to allow a person to orient the gauge to his own liking and still retain a seal. Oh and I'm very happy to know that you have a power plenum on your impact

Chuck,

Ahhh...that makes sense. As it is now, after tightening, I have to stand on my head to read my pressure gauge.

Do you order your parts from FX, or is there another vendor you like to deal with?

Justin