Tuning Impact Hammer Pin Fix

Gents,

My Impact wasn't cocking, so after checking the trigger, I moved on to the reloading block and hammer pin. Sho' nuff, it was bent and where the pin contacts the hammer was peened-up a bit. I was able to turn the pin about 1/8th of a turn and get fresh, un-peened, full diameter pin which got the gun holding cock again...for now.

The hammer pin arrangement appears to be a pretty silly design. When the pin starts to bend and you get spotty cocking, the first inclination is to think that one is not working the cocking lever sharply enough, so you give it a bit more oomph, which only exacerbates the problem. The plastic used to make the reloading block just can't take the stresses involved during the cycling process and eventually wallows out and bends.

Now I found references to a video by Ernest wherein he details a fix by making a bigger pin, but I have been unable to find it. I have a fix in mind that is a bit more involved, but would likely put an end to the bent pin issue. But before I fire up the mill and lathe, I thought I'd ask what others have done to fix this issue.

Thanks for your replies.

Justin

double_cocker_900x.1606160430.gif

I went with this on my impact mk1 😁

Gents,

My Impact wasn't cocking, so after checking the trigger, I moved on to the reloading block and hammer pin. Sho' nuff, it was bent and where the pin contacts the hammer was peened-up a bit. I was able to turn the pin about 1/8th of a turn and get fresh, un-peened, full diameter pin which got the gun holding cock again...for now.

The hammer pin arrangement appears to be a pretty silly design. When the pin starts to bend and you get spotty cocking, the first inclination is to think that one is not working the cocking lever sharply enough, so you give it a bit more oomph, which only exacerbates the problem. The plastic used to make the reloading block just can't take the stresses involved during the cycling process and eventually wallows out and bends.

Now I found references to a video by Ernest wherein he details a fix by making a bigger pin, but I have been unable to find it. I have a fix in mind that is a bit more involved, but would likely put an end to the bent pin issue. But before I fire up the mill and lathe, I thought I'd ask what others have done to fix this issue.

Thanks for your replies.

Justin

Reloading block is aluminum isnt it?

Gents,

Thanks for your replies.

Justin

Reloading block is aluminum isnt it?

Nope...pretty sure it's plastic. My gun is the Impact X.

I have the impact x mk2 I'm 99.9% sure its aluminum. What makes you think its plastic? Scratch it in a hidden place you'll see silver under the anodizing.

Glem,

You know, I think you're right. I stand erected...

The little sleeve that the hammer pin sticks into appears to be plastic and looked integral with the block, so I (wrongly) assumed that the block was plastic as well.

I'll ring up FX tomorrow and see what their fix is.

Mea culpa.

Justin

I have the impact x mk2 I'm 99.9% sure its aluminum. What makes you think its plastic? Scratch it in a hidden place you'll see silver under the anodizing.

Glem,

You know, I think you're right. I stand erected...

The little sleeve that the hammer pin sticks into appears to be plastic and looked integral with the block, so I (wrongly) assumed that the block was plastic as well.

I'll ring up FX tomorrow and see what their fix is.

Mea culpa.

Justin

All good brother, I'm sure they'll take care of you. I think you're right though that part only got upgraded with the MK2 so the X very well might still have the smaller pin.