• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Immersive Optics

I was considering both of these scopes, so I will be very interested to hear your feedback.

On paper, the weight difference didn’t seem like much (16g with the mounts). Does that seem true?

Thanks

The weight difference seems pretty small, but the 24 is noticeably smaller in the hand. So smaller volume, similar mass. I'll be taking both to the range around the end of the month and I'll post some thoughts then. Just IMHO, if the specs fit your uses I think it would be pretty hard to go wrong with either at the price point.

My only big quibble so far is the rear lens caps -- they fit on pretty loosely and with how close to the terminal of the housing the lens is, it makes me a little nervous.

Spent about 5 hours behind my 5x24 yesterday in a variety of light conditions, including shooting at early twilight. No issues at all. I was shooting 820 fps polymags out to about 50 yards, and doing a little plate ringing out to 75 or 100. Really glad I went this direction, very confident it will be a great small game scope out to about 35-50, which I can't shoot well beyond anyways :)

Spent about 5 hours behind my 5x24 yesterday in a variety of light conditions, including shooting at early twilight. No issues at all. I was shooting 820 fps polymags out to about 50 yards, and doing a little plate ringing out to 75 or 100. Really glad I went this direction, very confident it will be a great small game scope out to about 35-50, which I can't shoot well beyond anyways :)

Did you ever do a head-to-head with the 5x24 vs the 5x30? I am still curious to hear if I made the wrong call going with the 5x30….

Did you ever do a head-to-head with the 5x24 vs the 5x30? I am still curious to hear if I made the wrong call going with the 5x30….

I'm getting my L2 back pretty soon here and I'll be taking it to the range to zero the 5x30 on. I'll post up some comparison when I do. I think it is mostly going to come down to preference though -- the 5x24 definitely had better depth of field which is either good or bad depending on your view point (shallower depth of field maybe makes it easier to know when you're adjusted correctly.)

The main thing I want to compare is how bright they are. I can say I shot the 5x24 a bunch at twilight last weekend -- pure plinking/"pragmatic accuracy" and it was totally fine. We had fun cans hanging from coat hangers off of a tree at about 30 yards and I was trying to shoot high on the can until the coat hanger hook didn't have enough purchase and fell off, and was able to do that easily enough in 10-20 shots per can -- .177 polymags at ~820 fps or so.

That's obviously not scientific or anything, but I think is plenty for me to have "minute of squirrel" in crappy light conditions.

Larcat:

It is really nice that you happened to have purchased the exact two scopes I was considering and can offer direct feedback. I am definitely looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Brightness was my biggest concern when I choose the 5x30 over the 5x24. But, if you end up saying the 5x24 looks just as bright, I may end up having to pawn my 5x30....

In the meantime, I took my 5x30 out the other morning and I am still really liking it. I just bought a set of those 34mm Nightforce ultra-light rings off eBay last week in hopes of dropping a little weight. They haven't arrived yet, but I will tell you guys if it actually works out.

Thanks,

Nick

👍🏼Good news if want to buy an Immersive Optics prismatic scope:

Wes had his ear to the ground when we were discussing these cool scopes — half the size and weight of the traditional scopes....

And after the sellers on the other side of the pond were so complicated to deal with for us 😟 — Wes came through and is offering them now to us 😊 

He's a very trustworthy guy, on GTA he frequently interacts and answers questions.

Here's the info:

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=191946.msg156235191#msg156235191

Happy scope shopping! 👍🏼

Matthias

PS: Make sure you change the currency on his webpage to US$ or whatever currency you keep your airgun fund in.... When I ordered his shipping from Canada was quick.

Scopes. Immersive Optics. Prismatic Scopes. Specs. 2021.1635030490.jpg

Hi Dasman! We are a US agent for Immersive Optics and we have just joined this forum. We have launched a few models on Amazon USA now.

You can check them out there.

Cheers!

Tim V

P.S.: I am trying to advertise it out on this fourm but I have to respond to 5 different topics before I can send a private message to the owner to start a conversation on advertising. 

Reactions: mike_k10
Hi Dasman! We are a US agent for Immersive Optics and we have just joined this forum. We have launched a few models on Amazon USA now.

You can check them out there.

Cheers!

Tim V

P.S.: I am trying to advertise it out on this fourm but I have to respond to 5 different topics before I can send a private message to the owner to start a conversation on advertising.

Good news! Hope your venture is a successful one!

One thing I'd be interested in is this:

How wide is the Depth of Field (DoF)?

Or, the way I call it: How long is the Parallalax Sharpness Range (PSR)? ➔ Meaning: How long is the range at which it is not necessary to adjust the parallax or sharpness because it's negligible? 

(PSR: A similar concept as the point blank range (PBR), where at certain ranges it's not necessary to adjust the elevation because the offset of the trajectory is negligible).

WHY: 

▪ Well, for those of us who like to use parallax ranging (FT), the smaller the PSR the better because the more precise their ranging.

▪ And for those of us who laze or estimate our ranges, we rather not have to monkey for every shot with the parallax turret.

Because one of the ideas of a prismatic scope is its wide FoV in order to engange quarry super quickly — so wasting time getting an overly sensitive parallax adjustments focused at close ranges kind of offsets that time advantage.... 

In general, they say the larger the objective lens, the smaller the PSR. I'm of the laser rangefinding tribe, so I want a loooong PSR. How small do I have to go on the objective lens...?

Matthias

Wanted to note one tangible advantage of the 5x30 over the 5x24 -- at least with my eyes, I can make the black ring vignette completely disappear with the 5x30, whereas with the 5x24 there's always a ring.

5x30 is also definitely a little brighter.

That is good to hear. Now I can at least tell myself I made the right call. Although I will probably always still feel a tinge of anguish as I wonder if the 5x24 might somehow be just a hair better….

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

Nick

Or, the way I call it: How long is the Parallalax Sharpness Range (PSR)? ➔ Meaning: How long is the range at which it is not necessary to adjust the parallax or sharpness because it's negligible? 

(PSR: A similar concept as the point blank range (PBR), where at certain ranges it's not necessary to adjust the elevation because the offset of the trajectory is negligible).

WHY: 

▪ Well, for those of us who like to use parallax ranging (FT), the smaller the PSR the better because the more precise their ranging.

▪ And for those of us who laze or estimate our ranges, we rather not have to monkey for every shot with the parallax turret.

Because one of the ideas of a prismatic scope is its wide FoV in order to engange quarry super quickly — so wasting time getting an overly sensitive parallax adjustments focused at close ranges kind of offsets that time advantage.... 

In general, they say the larger the objective lens, the smaller the PSR. I'm of the laser rangefinding tribe, so I want a loooong PSR. How small do I have to go on the objective lens...?

Matthias

I used to own the MTC 12x50 and it had a paper-thin parallax focus. I now have the Immersive Optics 5x30 and the parallax is much more forgiving. Since I don't use the parallax for ranging, I prefer the 5x30 in this regard.

So, based on my experience, your thoughts on the Parallax Sharpness Range seem correct (that the smaller objectives have more forgiving parallax settings). I always imagined it being related to the difference in magnification rather than objective diameter, but I guess it actually could have been a function of the objective diameter.

We should probably get one of the guys with the 10x24 to weigh in on this; they would have an interesting perspective since that scope has a small objective yet relatively high magnification.

Nick

WHY: 

Matthias

I used to own the MTC 12x50 and it had a paper-thin parallax focus. I now have the Immersive Optics 5x30 and the parallax is much more forgiving. Since I don't use the parallax for ranging, I prefer the 5x30 in this regard.

So, based on my experience, your thoughts on the Parallax Sharpness Range seem correct (that the smaller objectives have more forgiving parallax settings). I always imagined it being related to the difference in magnification rather than objective diameter, but I guess it actually could have been a function of the objective diameter.

We should probably get one of the guys with the 10x24 to weigh in on this; they would have an interesting perspective since that scope has a small objective yet relatively high magnification.

Nick

WHY: 

Matthias

Nick

I don't have the 10x24 nor have I looked through one but I do have several 1-6x24 scopes including two with side focus. 

I also had an Immersive 5x30 for a couple of weeks that I got to play with.

When I turn the focus knob on my 1-6x24 scope the difference is very subtle in terms of focus from 10 yards to maybe 65 yards across the ravine from me. Note that I'm only discussing focus, not parallax error.

The Immersive isn't as forgiving but I would say it's about as forgiving as my Dedal Stalker which also has a 30mm objective.

Like my Dedal, it seems like very little movement of the focus wheel is required to focus from that same ten yards to 65 yards. I suspect the Immersive is actually worse in this regard but I didn't make that comparison. Wish I would have. I assume these short scopes require less movement to bring things into focus?

I don't use my scopes for ranging but if I did I'd be way more likely to try it with my 3-12x44 than my 1-6x24. 

If I were to get one of these it would be the 5x24. For me this would be a grab the gun and shoot optic so I'd want the focus to be a bit more forgiving. I think Larcat has mentioned the difference in depth of field of these two scopes but I don't recall his exact comments.

To be clear, I was impressed with the 5x30 for its price point. Actually very impressed.

WHY: 

25aa.svg
Well, for those of us who like to use parallax ranging (FT), the smaller the PSR the better because the more precise their ranging.

25aa.svg
And for those of us who laze or estimate our ranges, we rather not have to monkey for every shot with the parallax turret.

Matthias

Nick

The 5x24 is much more forgiving in this regard. Much larger depth if field than the 5x30. I prefer the larger depth if field, but IMHO it's purely a preference thing. 5x24 you can just sorta snap to focus. Not so the 5x30, but the 5x30 would absolutely let you range via focus.

Now that I think about it a little more actually -- If I was mostly plinking from bipod or bags while fully supported I think the 30 is better. Offhand, leaning against a tree things like that I think the 24 is handier. 2 weekends ago I was shooting in less than optimum positions for a couple hours and the 24 was perfect. Last weekend I had a bench and my bipod and enjoyed the 30 more -- I was swapping back and forth between the two on two different guns, too, and really like both guns, so.