Im thinking of going down the darkside...

RW,
In dealing with problem crows, I've found the .30 (44.75 grain JSB) tends to resolve the matter with more authority than a .22 or .25. A solid body shot with a .22 can lead to a long fly-off, while the .25 usually causes a shorter fly-off, a similar crow, with a .30 hole punched through normally starts a slow glide to ground. Of my six PCPs (one .22, four .25s and one .30) I find myself grabbing the .30 when the job absolutely, positively has to be done with dispatch. WM

I am truly amazed at the longer distance accuracy (75-100 yards is longer distance to me) of a .30 cal gun which has enough power. I'm only shooting pellets, and my Vulcan 3 (long) and Maverick Sniper are both incredible guns at 50 yards +. Seemingly so much less impacted by the wind, and I don't read wind very well.

These guns are stupid accurate (and really easy to shoot accurately) at 50 yards. It is almost too easy.

Reactions: douger and ChRiSiS
I would be interested to hear what the attributes of the 30 makes for such enthusiastic fans.
I bought my first 25 not long ago and am not too sure how much enthusiasm I have for my 22 anymore.
Was thinking a 25 with a longer barrel would be next but maybe a 600 mm 30 if the folks tell me something that sparks my interest. My hold back with the 30 is not knowing if I need that much horsepower.

I had a 30 Impact and it was absolutely wonderful, but shooting paper mostly at 50 yards, it wasn’t much (If any) better than my Crown 22 shooting 18s and 25s. I didn’t take it out to 100 when I had the 30, but I don’t think it could have been much better than my 22 shooting 25RDs.

So then, the much higher price of 30s and the much higher use of air, made it very easy to give up. Going back to 22 was the best choice I made, and I can’t see ever buying a 30 again for those reasons.

Reactions: qball
Armadillos, racoons and big crows @ 50 yards, or more, sparked my interest in the .30. Dead, or dying critters, on the neighbor's lawn was not an option, so being able to deliver a 44.75 grain JSB at 70 FPE, with amazing accuracy, was the answer. Not sure if I'd gone with the .30 for just punching paper but will never be without one now. My workhorse is an FX Wildcat MK3 Sniper (700mm), it doesn't like taking prisoners. WM

.30 for a crow? I just converted my Leishy 2 from .30 to .22 because I'm frankly scared of what is behind the round should I miss. The .22 drops large pigeons immediately, and I can't see a large crow not just dropping dead from a high power PCP. My first atomic-x would just tickle them and then they'd go to die in my neighbors yard, but that was just a .177.

I am truly amazed at the longer distance accuracy (75-100 yards is longer distance to me) of a .30 cal gun which has enough power. I'm only shooting pellets, and my Vulcan 3 (long) and Maverick Sniper are both incredible guns at 50 yards +. Seemingly so much less impacted by the wind, and I don't read wind very well.

These guns are stupid accurate (and really easy to shoot accurately) at 50 yards. It is almost too easy.
I have to say that my .30 cal Impact M3 and .30 cal Crown MK2 are my two most accurate airguns. This is at 50 and 100 yards, and yes, I too am shooting pellets. Not much to choose at 25 yards or under, but makes a difference once you stretch thing outs.

From a power standpoint I am surprised to read that someone finds the .22 or .25 inadequate to drop small to medium birds at any reasonable distance. I certainly would be very concerned about shooting up to say a tree branch with my .30 cal airguns, since I wouldn’t know where that pellet was going to come down. I can’t think of any Crow that a .30 cal pellet at 90+ FPE would punch right through and keep going. I guess it also depends on how much land you have and the distance to the nearest neighbor, but with 4 acres of wood around my house i wouldn’t take the chance.

If it’s safe shooting up with 30 Cal and got money and can find pellets then why not?

But I have no issue drop big crows DRT with 177 pellets at lowly 10 FPE out to 30 yards and 12 FPE out to 50 yards. Kill zone is pretty big on the crows, almost entire upper back or chest but just don’t shoot through the wings. Front and rear shots are best, side shots are a little less desirable because the wings are in the way, but when shooting up just tuck the pellet right under the wing. But I live i. Track homes in suburbia so safety is number 1 concern.

Last edited:
I've accurately relayed first-hand experience dealing with hunting crows. Some "body mass" hits provide immediate results, while others allow for an adrenaline-fueled, short-lived retreat. The .22 and .25 accomplish both, successfully, however, the panicked retreat just hasn't happened with the .30. I suspect the "shock" value of the .30 finishes the job faster, whether vital areas are impacted, or not. A further real-world quality I've noticed is the "brush-busting" edge the .30 has over the .22 or .25.
I'm fortunate to live in the country so any "pass-thru" or missed shots land in marshy, uninhabited land. ChRiSiS raises a valid point all shooters need to consider, be mindful of where your shots end up. WM

I have an Edgun classic 250 mm barrel .25 and .177 .
For grins i bought a tin of H&N .25 wadcutters just to see what kind of hole they put in paper . Well a Squirrel jumped on the bird feeder and so i head shot him . The critter froze and fell to the ground back legs out and toes pointed out kicked one time sort of slow motion . shot two more with about the same reaction . OH 10 to 20 yard shots so not much slow down in FPE

Reactions: SHOMER
And buying a 30 cal. Cricket tatical. I always said I wouldnt go bigger than 25 but I'm finding myself getting bored with 22/25....any thoughts or just save the cake ?
Left 22 awhile back, 25 is more accurate and hits a heck of a lot harder, you love it, not much more in price, skip 30, to loud and expensive