• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

I'm starting to see....

why people spend big bucks for some top tier guns. I've been shooting air guns for over 60 years and pcp's for about the last 5 years. My pcp's have been what I guess you would call low to mid level guns (Benjamin Cayden, Akela, Marauder, Disco, DAR). I recently decided to get a better quality gun and after some research decided on a RAW HMS1000 (actually got 2, 1 in 0.22 and 1 in 0.25). All I can say is WOW! The trigger and accuracy is amazing. I'm not a good shot and I can still get 1/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards! Plus I like the fact that the guns are made here in the USA! The next question is do I dare go down the rabbit hole of expensive scopes? None of my scopes were over $150, most under $100.

Congratulations! I have a RAW .22 in a Chassis stock, everything you said is true about them...if I miss...it's all on ME...😂👍. I have an Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 FFP MOA that is an awesome scope. If I were to get another scope for it I would go Meopta Optika 6 3-18x50 FFP MRAD reticle (German glass) or Athlon Ares ETR 3-18x50 FFP MOA (ED glass). Both are under a grand the Meopta can be had around 700 @ CameraLand NY, the Ares ETR also @ CameraLand around 800. I just recently sent mine in to AIRGUNS USA in TN and spoke directly to Martin himself to have a full reseal and replace any parts needed plus a tune..took less than 3 weeks and was not costly! Oh...I luv to fish too, mostly Long Range tuna but trout also....🤗👍

IMG_6521.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1
why people spend big bucks for some top tier guns. I've been shooting air guns for over 60 years and pcp's for about the last 5 years. My pcp's have been what I guess you would call low to mid level guns (Benjamin Cayden, Akela, Marauder, Disco, DAR). I recently decided to get a better quality gun and after some research decided on a RAW HMS1000 (actually got 2, 1 in 0.22 and 1 in 0.25). All I can say is WOW! The trigger and accuracy is amazing. I'm not a good shot and I can still get 1/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards!
We're not crazy after all :cool:

I relate at airguns and scopes to vehicles... basic transportation, nice cars and the overpriced status stuff.

Your RAW is definitely in the nice car ( BMW/Audi/Mercedes ) class and deserves a similar value scope.

If you are into serious competition then the $1K plus scopes are justified but I feel that that's getting into the "diminishing returns" realm.

Most of my scopes are sub $250 and I'd call them adequate. I recently picked up an Element Helix that I like, think it's good value for the money. Lots of very nice scopes in the $400 - $600 range to chose from.

Enjoy your new airguns!

Cheers!

to each their own. high end things aren't for everyone. me personally i just buy the highest tier, I don't want to be using something i'm going to be thinking "what if" about every time I use it. "Man what if i bought this one, man what if i bought that one".

I'd rather take the L on the resell than cry every day thinking I should have bought the higher tier better version.

Reactions: Barenger
Congratulations, and NO. Get a CVlife or any bottom dollar scope just in case you need an excuse for missing a target.
As someone above mentioned, I used an old tasco custom shop 50x(?) David Saldes with uses, opps. NICE. Then at a National match the rep for March scopes showed up with a large mounted selection, opps,opps,opps,ugh,opps. -note the old Tasco Custom shop was just a good)
Personally still like my old Simmons "44mag" the one with dots SO big a rabbit can hide behind them and not be seen but very crisp and clear.

Have fun.

John

Last edited:
Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
Congratulations on your Raws! I am still resisting but I suspect a higher end gun is in my future. It sounds like my scopes might be a little more expensive than yours, however. I have a PA 4-14x44 FFP and it is a nice scope. The only thing I do not like is the reticle is too thick at 14X for good target shooting. But I can see it at 4X so it's OK, just not a good scope for target shooting. My favorite of the ones I own is an Athlon Talos 6-24x50. It and a low end Vector 8-32 are my "target scopes" and I can see the target at least as well in the Athlon as the Vector. You have to take off caps to change the windage and elevation but that's a minor inconvenience. At 6X I've used it for hunting. I got it for $200 from Pyramyd on a black friday sale or something like that. Nice scope for that sort of price. I paid less than $250 for the PA 4-14 but that was a couple years ago. I don't know how much better $500 scopes are but I'm pretty satisfied with most of my ~$200 ones. I've bought cheaper ones and I like the Hawke 2-7 Vantage on my Prod but most of them have not been worth buying IMHO. But if you are careful, I think there are pretty decent scopes for $200-300. But I will probably go up some if I ever buy a "nicer" PCP.

When it comes to scopes, it's very subjective. There are a lot of diminishing returns. You have to compare them as a whole package (Image quality, mechanics). My advice is to get the best scope you can afford within the specs that you require. One thing for certain is to make sure whatever scope you get, make sure you like the reticle. With scopes, you'll be playing that game always wondering...What will I get in a scope costing:

$500 to $1000
$1000 to $2000
$2000 to $3000
$3000 to $4000+ (Alpha Class/Tier 1).

why people spend big bucks for some top tier guns. I've been shooting air guns for over 60 years and pcp's for about the last 5 years. My pcp's have been what I guess you would call low to mid level guns (Benjamin Cayden, Akela, Marauder, Disco, DAR). I recently decided to get a better quality gun and after some research decided on a RAW HMS1000 (actually got 2, 1 in 0.22 and 1 in 0.25). All I can say is WOW! The trigger and accuracy is amazing. I'm not a good shot and I can still get 1/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards! Plus I like the fact that the guns are made here in the USA! The next question is do I dare go down the rabbit hole of expensive scopes? None of my scopes were over $150, most under $100.
Sightron! Check classifieds 🤩

Reactions: iAMzehTOASTY1