I'm really curious.....

In the few years I've been involved with PCP's I've probably tried 8-10 different scopes, the majority of which have had illuminated reticles (IR). Other than putting a battery in to see if they work properly I've NEVER used that feature. Even Joe Rhea (Cyclops) mentioned in one of his videos that they're mostly a "gimmick". 5+ years of hunting & I've never had the need to use it. How many of you really use IR on a regular basis. Is it a deal breaker/maker when buying a scope & WHY? I'm really curious.
Gimmick?! Is a strong word. The military uses IRs for dangerous work, so definitely not a gimmick. I got tired of passing up shots on rats or pigeons, starlings, sparrows, etc. in barns, buildings, in mixed light environments. Through field use and lots, lots of kills I have proven to myself the value of an IR. You can use it or not. In the bright regular day light you don't see it. Sweep the shadows? There it is! it simply works. And yes, for me? On a hunting/pesting scope? An IR is a must, as I don't only use my pesting rig in ideal lighting conditions...

Last edited:
Totally situational-dependent. As others have said, low-light against dark backgrounds or in the woods when hunting is where they are useful. Do I know where my reticle center is without it--usually. Does illumination make target acquisition a lot easier in these specific scenarios--yup.

Certain times of day, my shooting alley in the woods with a dark splatterburst grid target is almost impossible to see the reticle against it--black on black while in the shade.

Still torn on whole reticle illumination vs just center IR--lean towards just the center.

I have a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20x50 FFP on my Leshiy 2 which is one of my most used pesting airguns. When trying to shoot chickens in heavy shaded vegetation around 10-15 yards, I set the the magnification at 2.5X and use the IR. It really helps with an FFP scope and close shots. If a certain scope model has an illuminated version, I will more than likely opt for it. It's there when you need it.

Reactions: L.Leon
Screenshot_20220808-223905_VLC~01~01.jpgHelps inside the barn at night.

For my shooting I've never had use for an IR. I did try it and found I really don't need it. Don't need mil dots or any of that other stuff that they clutter up the lens with these days. It's become increasingly hard to find a scope that has just a duplex or good old fashioned cross hair.
Athlon makes a 3-12 x 40 Talos non-IR you can get with Center X crosshairs. I have the mil dot version on my HW95 and am very happy with it. Like most everyone else my use of IR is on as needed basis. Pretty handy shooting those black Shoot n C targets as the sun is going down!

I wanted an Athlon Argos, it just happened to come with the IR. I have used it a few times to shoot racoons late at night. I have a mounted red lens predator light and I can make out the reticle, but I can see it even better with the IR. If the scope hadn't come with the IR I still would have purchased it, and I still would have shot the racoons.

IR for me is a must and I won't buy a scope without it. As mentioned, low light/ night use it is pretty essential and even during the day in dark timber on a dark target, it's very nice to have. Also, as mentioned, with a FFP scope on it's lowest magnification, a good IR that can be seen in daylight is very helpful and allows a full field of view for aquiring the target. I use it often.

Funny you posted this because I have 3 hawke frontier scopes with ir and never used the feature I figure it was a waste. Well my sons kindergarten class raised chickens so my son took home 4 and I built a big coop (this coop cost me some dough:( ) ....so we put the chicks out two weeks ago and holy poop I see mice everywhere at night around the coop. This coop is 35 yards away from my house so I put a flashlight on the action and to be honest if I didnt have that ir on the scope then I wouldnt be able to hit anything. I think I will not buy a scope without the ir now and when I use it I use the middle setting.

In the few years I've been involved with PCP's I've probably tried 8-10 different scopes, the majority of which have had illuminated reticles (IR). Other than putting a battery in to see if they work properly I've NEVER used that feature. Even Joe Rhea (Cyclops) mentioned in one of his videos that they're mostly a "gimmick". 5+ years of hunting & I've never had the need to use it. How many of you really use IR on a regular basis. Is it a deal breaker/maker when buying a scope & WHY? I'm really curious.
Gerry, I can help here.

I only use scopes that have “the new technologically advanced IR photon torpedo (think Startrek) laser guided sensor navigational system, that magically synchs and communicates to the newly announced FX pellets. These new IR sensors use the brand new anti-wind drift “cloaking device” that directs each pellet into ONE hole at 100 yards ALL DAY LONG ! 😀. Scopes have come a long way.

P.s. won’t work with slugs.

I do quite a bit of shooting from a backyard bench. In order to be able to shoot longer distances I generally have to place my targets in the shade. I find myself using the IR feature frequently in this situation, especially in the late afternoons as the sun begins to set. I'm also in my 70s with weakening vision. I no longer buy scopes without the IR feature.

IR adds both cost and weight, so if you don't need it by all means don't buy it.

Reactions: 2L8
I like the idea of the illuminated reticle and check it out now and then in the studio on the different illumination levels and say "wow, I should try this sometime when I'm out shooting", but, as happens, when I'm "out shooting" everything looks so crisp, sharp and bright so I forget to turn it on and see what it has to offer 🤪. I will say, one time I was shooting at black splatterbursts for the day and in the early afternoon the dense scrub oaks behind the target turned dark and I turned on the illumination and "bingo" I could see my POA again. So yea, it has a place in some of my shooting disciplines.

Patrick

Use it frequently in FT matches in PR. Bright sunlight/shade contrasting situation in long shots where target is located under shrubs makes it a must, more so if faceplate is black and paddle has sustained many hits. I use a Sightron SIII model 25018 with a full IR reticle, best there is for H-FT!

Last edited:
Reactions: Uglyjohn
I've had lots of late evening target shooting when the sun was going down and I just didn't want to quit shooting. I could make out whatever clunky target I set up, but black reticle on dark background would have ended the evening for me if it wasn't for the illuminated reticle. It always bought me another 30 minutes or so of fun. So for me, an illuminated reticle is enough of a plus that I probably would not buy a scope that did not have it. I suppose if I was shooting competition that only happens in good light, that would be a different situation entirely. In that case, I would buy whatever scope gives me the best score whether it had illumination or not.
grungy