I'm really curious.....

I use my IR. I have a Hawke Sidewinder and an Airmax. I've been using the Airmax for Field Target and really like that reticle. The illumination is a must for a hard shaded lane with a black crow face plate, small kill zone and a well seasoned paddle. I also find it useful while shooting up into a leafy tree while trying to poke a Starling or 3. I wouldn't buy a scope without it after having it. I'm pretty sure there's not much weight added for a battery/housing, led and control nob. Maybe 2 extra ounces tops?

During daylight hours, there’s only been a handful of times where the reticle blended with a dark colored pest and backlit shadow of a rock or tree stump and I missed a shot opportunity. That said the scopes I’m using now both have IR. They’re lightweight given they are also variable power 4-16x44 at 17oz and 4.5-22x50 at 20oz The IR is really useful when you turn your FFP scope to it’s lowest power..we’re the reticle nearly disappears..and then try to use them in low light situations. The drawback to IR in SFP scopes is that the reticle doesn’t shrink and in low light the fully lit reticle tends to wash out what you’re trying to target. IMO, the best IR reticle is one with a single illuminated dot or small crosshair.