• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I'm opening a can of worms.

You sure are opening up a can of worms! :)
Both calibers have a lot going for them and I'm sure there are people that'll swear by one or the other. 
I think it depends on what the main purpose of the rifle is going to be. For hunting, .25. It's accurate and hits hard! It could mean the difference between a kill and an injured animal. 
For long range target practice, either way. Some days I'll swear my .22 is more accurate. But then I'll have a day where I can't tell where my 25's are going because they're going through the same hole! It can be quite frustrating. lol
For a while, I thought .25 couldn't be beat. Then, I picked up a .22 and the accuracy was amazing. So now, I'm not so sure. 
If your stuck on getting the carbine (By the way, nice choice on rifle selection!), I'd lean towards the .22 due to air consumption as Dirte said. .22's are cheaper as well! 
Good luck!
Tom

If your specific rifle choice is the AA S510 Carbine (very nice) I think it's important to focus on that model and it's capabilities as a platform vs generic discussion of calibers.

A google search using "S510 and Carbine and String" will yield many hits for various forum discussions and the image tab will show screenshots of many people's shot strings.

When I review the information and shot string data available on the Carbine version of the S510, (OEM box stock), I would opine that the platform is better suited to .177 and .22 for optimal levels of power and shot count given the carbine's smaller air capacity and state of OEM tune. Information for the .25 reveals it's underpowered for that caliber compared to most .25s available and has a fairly low shot count given the smaller cylinder and higher air consumption necessary to propel the .25, and has the most volatile, unregulated power curve among the 3 calibers.

I have 2 S510s in XTRA version (.177 and .22) but no Carbine.

Reactions: NMshooter
Donut Worry :)! I love answering questions in a clear and concise manner on these forums.

I think you should decide based on this

1. Are you hunting? If yes, then .25 would be better. Gives you more leniency on slightly misplaced shots.
  • What size game are you hunting? Bigger animals, the higher caliber you want
  • How long are you going to be hunting w/ or w/o air? If mobile without an airsource then .22 will conserve more air. If mostly nonmobile with an airsource then .25 would be better.
  • What range are you hunting the game at? Longer range means less knockdown power. I love the .25's Smack, although you will get plenty of smack with the .22s. You will notice the smack is louder than the gun sometimes :). Do you want to just enjoy the energy transfer between the pellet and target? 
2. How far are you shooting? If more than 60 yards then .25 would be better since it bucks the wind and retains more kinetic energy over distance.
3. Is it windy where you are? If yes then .25 would be better
4. How are your neighbors? If you want a quieter rifle then .22 would be better(Provided that the shroud lengths are the same between the two guns. For example the .22 wildcat is said to be louder than the .25(in my opinion)). Generally lower caliber quieter.
5. How will you be filling the gun? .25 will use more air so .22 would be better if you have a handpump. Less pumping more shooting
6. What price of pellets are you willing to pay? .22 pellets are cheaper and more available than .25. I think you would get more .22 pellets for the same price as the .25. You can even get some .22 pellets at a superstore like walmart. .25 means usually having to order online and waiting for shipping :(.
7. What kind of backyard or area do you have? .25 will penetrate through many materials that a .22 might now. I think i remember a .22 stopping against plywood(or something like that) whereas the .25s would go through. 

If were talking about accuracy then both calibers can offer the same great accuracy. I've had great groups with my old daystate Wolverine .22 that beat my .30 FX Boss's groups. However, my most accurate gun of all was the .25 wildcat, but these are 50 yard groups. Im sure the .25 would surpass the .22 at range 50+. Whichever pellet destabilizes first. 

Yep thats all i could think of...

Reactions: plinker
Thankyou everybody. I have a compression, and two bottles so air is not a concern. I target shoot (just for fun ) and hunt (racoon down to house sparrow). I do shoot past 50 yards often hunting and target shooting. I have 2 .25 marauders and they are hammers. I want what everybody else wants the best of both worlds. I just want to know what everybody else thinks.

"Mick-VA"If your specific rifle choice is the AA S510 Carbine (very nice) I think it's important to focus on that model and it's capabilities as a platform vs generic discussion of calibers.

A google search using "S510 and Carbine and String" will yield many hits for various forum discussions and the image tab will show screenshots of many people's shot strings.

When I review the information and shot string data available on the Carbine version of the S510, (OEM box stock), I would opine that the platform is better suited to .177 and .22 for optimal levels of power and shot count given the carbine's smaller air capacity and state of OEM tune. Information for the .25 reveals it's underpowered for that caliber compared to most .25s available and has a fairly low shot count given the smaller cylinder and higher air consumption necessary to propel the .25, and has the most volatile, unregulated power curve among the 3 calibers.

I have 2 S510s in XTRA version (.177 and .22) but no Carbine.
When selecting rifles from the UK, be sure to inspect the fine details ( power, shot count, regulator). Because of the power restrictions, the .25 caliber tends to be underpowered and has a low shot count. It seems that their platform works better for the .22 and .177 caliber. although AA have very cool looking rifles, I personally believe other brands are better suited for the US market, especially if you are considering the .25 caliber. They have made some attempts to satisfy the US market with the Galahad but again the .25 is underpowered.
I know you wanted comparison of AA 510 rifles but you might be better served looking at an FX Streamline (regulated and good shot counts in either caliber) or the Daystate Regal in .22. (.25 underpowred and low shot count). I personally own a Cricket Carbine .22 and am very happy with it. 

Just to throw another wrench at you, you might want to look at the Daystate Regal in .22.
It is not regulated but does not need it. Sling-shot hammer. It has a nice wooden stock and from alll the reviews, shoots very accurate. The barrel is a lothar walther where the streamline has the smooth twist. I do not own one but it is on my wish list. Cost is about the same in .22. I would not rec the Regal in .25. I think either one of these rifles are an excellent choice for your first rifle. Chances are, you will have more than one in the long run.
Best of luck

NM