• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

I'm not impressed with 1 inch groups at 100 yards

CLEARLY shooting and hunting is like fishing as the story gets told the fish tends to get bigger.

I know my personal limits and I’m pretty much dead average in my shooting abilities.

I however have shot In metallic silhouette (off hand ) matches and I know what is required to be in the hunt. Very few rifles with the exception of bunch test rifles produced by extremely component gun smiths and fed hand loads tuned to the nines is going to shoot consistently under a MOA. I’m not talking about the “best” group I’m talking about what can be counted on.

The best shooter I knew personally could hit prairie dogs pretty consistently beyond 500 yards. BUT money was unlimited and he bought and sold guns until he found the best possible. So he had it all but but even he would tell you less then a MOA was a winner for sure.

I’d like to be learn to dope the wind like he could. It would certainly help me. I find holding off for the wind difficult. Seems unnatural. But the best shots do it .

My goal for my air rifles is to be able to consistently place my shots inside 2 inches at 100 yards under light wind conditions. This is going to require me to learn to dope the wind at least some and to get my guns capable of MOA or close. That will work for this old man

Well, how about 8” at 1000 yards?

.300 Winchester Magnum..
1553866402_9753119765c9e1ea2cb2ef6.77177753_80C9A6FD-8358-4C31-A7A0-E93DFF0B78D8.jpeg
1553866402_4791592825c9e1ea2ec43d4.36654444_54CDA3F9-2072-493E-A40F-4DE97ADA0BD0.jpeg

Thats like a little bigger than 3/4 of an inch at 100 yards. But we are talking 800 yards! That is some mighty fine shooting!

Harry I'm sorry thats 1000 
Yards!!!

That was my son showing off in Arizona.

A Grand Master IPSC shooter, he gave up on that sport as it was no longer a challenge.

Now he is shooting the very same .300 Winchester Magnum at a measured mile.

I sent him to USC to be an engineer then, after so-damned-insane started acting up in Iraq he went into the Army as a combat medic.

Now, in his spare time he is Physician’s Assistant.

LG110 .22 @ 100 yards groups (5 shots)

1552023225_2830178925c81feb91038b6.76761180_D19D97EF-D572-4D8F-BCED-C6411D122FDF.png

I bought the gun that shot this group for $900 off Gunbroker. The guy who sold it to me shot this group off the cab of his truck.

Does power equal accuracy? They want us to think so. My new best friend is this little monster. My first sub 12 foot pound gun. It shoots10.5 grain .177 caliber ammo at 690 feet per second. Will it out shoot my FX Crown at 50 yards? We shall see. I predict it will shoot the whiskers off a mouse (not a rat) inside 50 yards. 

Anschutz 9015 ONE Hunter

50 yard FX Crown Groups:

25 gr JSB @ 50 yards (5 shots)

1554352461_6876754465ca5894ddd0122.17829015_20190403_212953.jpg

33gr JSB .25 cal FX Crown on High @ 50 Yards (5 shots)

33gr JSB .25 cal FX Crown on High @ 50 Yards (10 shots)

1554354243_3664044155ca590438e1090.47698969_20190403_211537.jpg

Hey guys,

Whoever 2 people called me an "idiot" and a "troll" in my feedback profile on this post, and took my feedback down 2 points. Guess what? Your the idiot trolls.

...and to prove it I'm going to shoot a 1/2 inch group at 100 yards with an airgun. It's actually not that hard. It's it's been done then I can do it. 

You should just let people talk about airguns on this Forum without having to earn negative Red balls. Also, maybe you Negative Nelsons should grow some red balls and tell me why I am so stupid on this post like a friend would do..instead of throwing an anonymous Red balls my way like a Passive Aggressive coward. 

Plenty of people have told me nicely on this post what I was confused about and helped me understand the 100 yard group. That's why I asked in the first place. I wasn't "trolling" , although I don't really understand what that is, I honestly didn't know dime size groups were a challenge at 100 yards for a top quality air rifle. 

Thanks by the way for all the great advice! -Nate 

1554473337_14225522045ca7617981f365.70263859_ddd.JPG

A sub-MOA group at 100 is very difficult to achieve. Even if a rifle can achieve it, it is rare occurrence. Many people at my range tell me that their powder burners can get a one inch ten shot group. When they actually try and show me, it never actually happens. It's more on the shooter than the equipment. It takes practice, tuning, practice, tuning, practice, buying new equipment, more practice, tuning, sorting, practice, tuning new equipment and NO WIND, achieve it. I still haven't done it yet, either.

My RAW HM1000x .30 shoots about 1 minute of prairie dog at 200 yds :)

Hard to go wrong with the RAW, now if they started making slug barrels that are matched to ammo like the polygon barrels are matched to the JSBs I would buy another one tomorrow.

I really like the raw hm1000x, I have worked on a few of them now, good speed is easy to achieve without the need for a monster hammer spring.

any half decent gun smith could easily fit an fx slug liner to the block, the only thing that would need sorting is a barrel support to stop flex during recoil.

Bb

Airgun technology has made some vast evolution since I first began using them almost 40 years ago now. I used to shoot nuisance woodpeckers (Dad gave me the green light) through the eye with my .177 10 pump Crossman and a crap 4x airgun scope but the distances were 25 yards and in i.e. I'd get a close as I could. All this talk though about shooting a "shuttlecock" pellet at ideal subsonic speeds for less than 1 moa groups is tenuous at best. The ballistics just may never be there ... especially in wind. I think the next evolution will be with solid projectiles/slugs with higher BC's and launched at higher velocities for this to be a relevant discussion. That technology is on the cusp and exciting!!!!!

Hey guys, Me and Camp Fussel are seeing who can get the first 100 yard 1 inch group. He is lucky since I don't have 100 yards to shoot at... and I'm lucky because I have some high end guns. Time will tell. Your all welcome to join us. I'll get a thread going soon for the "100 yard MOA constest". Start now! 

I'm just realizing what airguns are capable of. Mostly due to this thread. Basically, you want 10 shot dime groups at 35 yards. A one inch group at 50 yards is "good". If you can get a dime groups at 50 yards that is "great". 

and shooting a 100 yard group under 1 inch will involve: (possibly NO wind), (a high end PCP, possibly modified even further), (a skilled shooter), (lots of practice and many attempts), (a solid rest), (sorted, weighed, washed, possibly custom made swagged ammo), (a fair bit of luck). 

Thanks for clearing me up about what to expect for accuracy on an airgun.

I do have one last thing to say: 

I AM IMPRESSED with 1 in groups at 100 yards!

-Nate

I'll need MOAA to get MOA……..Mother of all Airguns

...and I need a place I can shoot 100 yards! All my best guns are packed for my move you lucky bastards! (talking about the 100 Yard MOA contest). All I'll have is the Ataman M2 egronomic .25 (good contender), I guess the Commander High Power .25(the "HP" makes it DANGEROUS!) , and the RAW LRT .25 if I ever pay for it. Anyone got $2039 I can borrow? I got one reserved at PY Air! -Nate

It's funny how i'm totally new to air rifles, but WELL seasoned with "powder burners" LOL . No matter weather it's compressed air or a powder combustion the internet "MOA" bragging and arguments rage on... 

I shoot 600 yds weekly and belong to a 2000+ member gun club. A few of my rifles have proved to shoot .5 MOA at 600 yds , BUT I am NOT of the consistency proficiency to boast a "true" sub moa rifle every week. Mastering the conditional variables is what sets apart the masters from the amateurs. Posting up a internet pic of 5 shot group inside a quarter at 100 yds doesn't impress me. When I personally observe a High Master "clean" a target shooting an M1A OFFHAND at 200 yds that's IMPRESSIVE shooting proficiency.