• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

I’m newer and needing some pointers.

55749644-86F6-4F88-B1CB-054B90905DB5.1647833206.jpeg
4FF87B8D-E25D-427D-A8FC-AE16D25C6CA3.1647833208.jpeg
87996363-66A8-433E-8ECF-3FC7E9C9FF09.1647833209.png
Good evening ladies and gents. I am really wanting to get better and start winning a couple local matches lol then we can think about traveling elsewhere to compete. I’m shooting a marauder gen 2 tuned by Motorhead, which he did a wonderful job. Can’t recommend him enough. Im just not happy with what I am seeing on paper and how I am performing. I am fairly new to the sport. Almost a year now. This last match I shot a 42 out of 60, I believe it’s my 3 match since having my gun back and I think 10th match overall. I only had two lanes left when I realized I been shooting the match the whole time with my scope on 8 power and not 16 power. It’s a second focal plan hawke sidewinder. How you don’t pick that up sooner I will never know. I then cleaned the next two lanes. So I have a couple part question here. 

1. How do I best practice with only 30 yards available? Or in general how do you practice more effectively? 

2. What kind of accuracy should I be expecting? Not only out of my gun but in general to be competitive in HFT All the 5 shot groups below average 0.480 inches or about 12 mm at 25 yard. With a little wind. If that really matters at that range. I shot all these also from a tripod. 

3. What tips and tricks do you have to help me improve. The best I have ever done is a 52 I believe. 

Come one come all I appreciate you guys I’m just trying to be a sponge and learn as much as I can. 

Seems like your on the right track just keep working on form (brass) breath relax aim squeeze trigger squeeze more to follow through. Don't wait for perfect conditions to practice shooting. Shoot in the breeze it will make you better on the course. Practice makes permanent good practice with proper form makes perfect. As long as it remains fun you have succeeded. 

Welcome to the AGN forum. 

It sounds like the distances you need for the type of shooting you are doing are between 10 to 55 yards, try sighting the rifle at 25 to 28 yards and use holdover. Practice your holdover and windage and get comfortable with your scope. You will need more yardage to practice for the distances needed in your type of shooting, you can practice your "short game", from 10 to 30 yards and then go to a location for the farther distances. I like to do a work up from 10 to 60 yards, and then I shoot random yardage. Also try placing the targets at different heights from the ground to higher elevations this will help you to dial in parallax. If you are not using reactive targets I would suggest getting some, they will make a difference in your practice, and get you used to the different target sizes or kill zones as they are called. Air venturi makes some that are price reasonable. I sight in on paper then go for the reactive targets. Make sure that you review the rules for the type of field target you plan to shoot, and set your rifle up accordingly, and practice to the requirements needed for your discipline, that way you don't pickup bad habits or have your gun set up incorrectly to the rules. I was practicing with a bipod attached to my rifle (not allowed) I took it off and had to get used to the weight change. I would also recommend that you attend the same type match you plan to compete in, and see what it's like, the equipment others are using, and how the match is conducted. After that I think you will be able to practice more effectively for your type of matches and have the confidence/knowledge in what you are doing. Don't forget to have fun and enjoy your journey. Please keep me posted on your results.

TODD

Your Marauder tuned by Motorhead (one of the best HFT shooters) is capable of winning. Scotchmo has won a national championship with a Marauder. Don't listen to the siren song of having to continually change to more expensive equipment. 

Practice ranging and perfect your range card. The critical distances are 10-15 yards(practice with a .25" kill zone) that will make the 25mm look easy, then 45-55 ranging is key. Be sure that you can tell the difference between 54 and 55 yards.

Learn to read the wind. Depending on the pellet you are using the wind can really matter. Try using the JSB 10.34 vs the JSB 13.4 in windy practice sessions to see the difference

Eliminate "brain farts". Develop a mental checklist before every shot. Don't rush.

Have fun. Don't beat yourself up when you miss a shot. Remember, you could be home mowing the lawn.

All the above is great advice-one thing to do if you haven't already-get dope in 1 yard increments from 10-to at least 20-25 yards on your home range. The close shots with tiny killzones require exact holdovers, one yard distance difference can be over a mildot worth of holdover. If you can, get out and practice in the wind to see how various wind speeds move your pellet. Use a sidewheel or bracketing to estimate distances.

Last, but not least-Have Fun!

PS- I understand your "brain fart" problem, I don't have a sidewheel and my bracketing chart is for 12x while I shoot at 16x. I've missed a few forgetting to dial up for the shot.

I think you are way ahead of the curve in skill level after only 10 matches. Just a few random thoughts that may be a repeat of others:

I like an even 30 yard zero on my pcp, rather than an odd distance; I'm able to shoot dead-on from around 23 to about 35 yards and only hold over (not under) for anything closer or farther. Also, when you do travel to a match you will find that sight in paper is set out at 5 or 10 yard intervals.

Make sure you have confidence in your 10-20 yard distances (in one yard increments), for both holdover and range marks. Practice shooting smaller 1/4-3/8" kzs at these distances.

Practice kneelers and offhand for 40-50% of your practice time.

Do a post-mortem of your match misses and work to correct the cause. I keep notes in my phone with lessons learned and things to work on.

Best of luck!!

1. practice on paper. Reactive targets are fun but may not give you the information you need about POI shifts. If you only have 30 yards, shoot 1/4 inch dots at 30 yards (your goal is to get the number of misses on those 10-25 yard targets during a match to below 10%). For the longer distances, verify your drops at the gun range at 35, 40, 45, 50 and 55 yards. I know some people do every yard from 35-55. But with Hunter FT, with 16X power on your scope it gets very difficult visually to do every yard. 

2. As stated above start documenting your matches. I do it on every target on each lane. what was the distance to the target (as determined by my scope)? where was my POA? where was my POI? wind condition/direction? light condition? shooting position (even ground/sloping ground/elevated target)? did I jerk the trigger, etc. Verify yardages after the match if you can and check this data against the distances you obtained with your scope. All this will give you information on areas to work on when you are practicing at home. ie ranging? (bracketing?) reading the wind, trigger control. hold/position etc. 

3. as stated already, shoot in the wind. Watch your wind indicator, mirage in your scope or vegetation, and learn how your pellet will react in different wind direction/conditions at different distances. 

4. You'll probably see an almost instantaneous gain in your score of 3-4 points (more if your matches have more off hand position lanes) if you practice your kneelers and standers. Your goal should be 80% hits or more on these shots. 

Good luck