• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I'm in the game now with a Dragon Claw!

Shot my new Dragon Claw today! Hand pumping sucks! LOL I think I shot 38 full power shots and had to top off the gun 4-5 times, with one complete fill. When bleeding off the hand pump before disconnecting, I somehow drained all the air in the gun's 500cc reservoir. I guess the check valve had a glitch.

Round balls did ok, but I was really interested in the heavy weight bullets. I had some TC 370 grain maxi balls, which are .504, that shot really well. I didn't realize how big they were until after my shooting session. They are long, and just fit in the loading gate. I can't push them but about half way into the chamber. I wasn't sure how far they were supposed to go, but they all shot well at around 1" groups at 50 yards. Should I worry about them being so oversized? Will it affect speed? I didn't chronograph any shots.

Now to decide on my power tuning options? Any one here done the machining themselves for the African Air Ordnance kit?
PXL_20210128_143053777.1611871284.jpg

PXL_20210128_143559984.1611871314.jpg

I love the gun, but am saving for a CAP dragon power tune. The 370 grain Maxi slugs (.504) shoot really well, but are only moving 515 fps. I'm confident these will penetrate to the offside hide of a deer or eating sized hog. I am a big fan of two holes for blood trails, so the power tune will be nice. I'm getting a fantastic shot string now with the 370s: 515, 519, 515, 515, 509, 514. I tried some 336 Air Venturi slugs (.495) and they don't group as well. Velocity gave me slightly more FPE: 549, 547, 546, 541, 538, 527, but I'm sticking with the 370s for now.

Things I love about the gun: short and maneuverable, nice looking, affordable, accurate, 5-6 full power shots with only 10 fps, or so, spread. My Magneto Speed Sport chrony works with it.

Dislikes: Sling swivel position forward (replacing forearm screw) is not user friendly, because it results in too short of spacing between them. I mounted the quiver attachment on the air tube with a sling swivel adapter and it works much better. The check valve has failed twice while bleeding of pressure after charging. I think I may have been releasing the air too slowly. 

Yeah, I have to release my check valve quickly as well.

That thing has a great shot count, but will probably be reduced quite a bit once you get its power raised.

I found NSA 230 grain to be very accurate and they are sitting in the 830 range with the power tuned on mine. 

i let some Airgun noobies shoot mine this week and they loved it.

The Claw is a great gun, hope you enjoy yours for a long time. I’ve had mine for about 8 years now.

That's a nice looking rig! 

Those types of male fill port check valves have an o-ring that fails to re-seat under certain circumstances. I was told that it was possibly because of the inrush of air "burning" the rubber. It would help if they had a return spring to help the o-ring and valve stem go back to where they belong.

To remedy the issue on mine I put a small drop of silicone oil lube to the inside of that fill port from time to time to wet the o-ring and it has seemed to work, so long as I don't fill fast.