• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Other I'm Gettin' A Hankerin'

How does the original Uragan (1?) compare to the 2 for a slug gun? I've seen a 600m setup that's in like new condition and well priced but I know some CZ barels are choked, while the majority usually are not. Not to hijack the thread but if anyone has had experience with both, let me know.

Anyways, on the topic, @MikeAllen I have been in a similar situation was looking at .30cal sluggers for similar use. I've heard the Taipan Vet 2 Tac has a GREAT trigger, I've heard the Vulcan 3 is just amazing all around, and I've heard the Uragan 2 also falls into the same category of great CZ slug guns.

As far as caliber, .25cal isn't bad if you want to save a bit of money on ammo, but I personally prefer a .22 for more ammo/slug options, or just go straight to a .30cal as the JSB 44grn pellets are just fine for plinking but there are also some great .30cal slugs out there (I always use Varmint Knockers, who makes a great 62grain HP) and if you are looking for it to double as a competition gun (I assume bench rest, and not FT) then .30 is probably the way to go.

I personally have been also looking at the Sidewinder (compact) and a Krait (standard/compact size) but if you are okay with not shooting offhand you can get the full size versions, the Sidewinder has an amazing TJ Barrel which is great for slugs and the gun is completely US made. Sometimes a used .25 or .30cal pops up for $1.5k+ and I've heard nothing but good stuff about the Krait AFTER it's regulator has been fixed/updated, new models will have this, or a Huma reg is always available too. The Krait L (600mm) and Krait X (700mm) both have CZ barrels, all the externally adjustable features you will find in your M3 but without the hassle of needing to tune it, as it shoots great out the box according to everyone I know with one. They are great slug guns and very well priced, without needing any upgrades.

But i think you will be happy with ANY of these quality guns, I would just decide if you are okay purely shooting off a bench/rest and size/weight isn't important to you, I'd go with the longer barrel models.
Thanks @Sound Tribe - lots to think about! Just for the enjoyment and learning aspects of it I'm thinking .30 caliber and one with the CZ unchoked barrel. I've heard very good things about Talon Tunes as well as Tenacious Airguns. I have nothing against the Vulcan 3 form factor but admit I do like the Talon Tunes frame gun. I would have to get used to the curved trigger - really like straight trigger blades.

I would not shy away from the Panthera. I have one and dislike the overall length but have zero complaints with the accuracy and precision. Thus far no POI change, no reg creep, and only retuned it yesterday for entertainment purposes.
I would be looking at a 25 but i am partial to that caliber. 100 yards is not an issue with my 25 Panthera shooting 33 gr Zan slugs. Much cheaper ammo than a 30.
Entertainment purposes?

I'm gettin' a hankerin' for a new airgun. (look it up if you don't know what a hankerin' is) I own an FX Impact M3 .25 cal. 600mm barrel. It's pretty much stock except for bolt-ons. I shoot targets and spinners, etc. only - not a hunter. Most of my shooting is behind my workshop being, 30~65 yards. I want to stretch my legs - and abilities a little and I'm thinking about a .30 cal. slugger for 100+ yard fun and competition. I'm considering BRK Ghost, AGT Vulcan 3 and RAW HM1000X - and open to others.Thought about a Panthera but afraid it might come with pretty much the same issues/challenges that my Impact M3 has. I like my M3 but as we all know it's a tinkerer's delight so I get my fill of tinkering and adjusting with it. Also, opinions on caliber are welcomed. I figured .30 for outdoor long range might be best. Air and shot count are not an issue. As my signature says, "hole-in-hole is the goal." So, your thoughts? (or wait around for something that may be coming soon? :sneaky:)
I hope no one tells you that your M3 is more than capable of doing 125+ yard 1 minute of squirrel. My Maverick .25 VP 600mm is good for 1 minute of cork at 100 yds so I'm pretty sure you can be also. I really don't want to dissuade you from spending money but, why? Thus sayith the guy that is dumping a few grand into a new gun ... because. I'm getting a Jefferson State.

Reactions: MikeAllen