Im embarrassed

After shooting hundreds of squirrels in my backyard over the years, this one wants to be friends. I actually shot this female a couple of months ago and she limped off. She has a bad leg now and I decided to give her a break.funny thing is the other squirrels watch me feed her pecans and dont run off like they used to.
Screenshot_20230610-122615_Yahoo Mail.jpg

I feel ya on this topic. I had a squirrel the other day I shot with the notos offhand. Baracuda 21 grain. Aiming for the head, I pulled a bit right and hit him in the left front leg/arm pit area. He jumped around and I thought I got him good. Went to recover, and he took off when I got to him. Up the pole he went, bleeding pretty bad. I had left the gun at my shooting position, and went to get it for a kill shot, and he was gone when I came back. No trail, guess he stitched himself up and high tailed it outta there.

When he was sitting up on the foot peg of the electric pole, I could see the hole went straight through. The amount of blood, I thought I hit the vitals, but maybe just an artery. Dunno if he died or what, but I still feel pretty bad about that. I mean, I'll still shoot him if I see him again, but I dont want him suffering.

Don’t worry about it. I think it’s a natural progression that we go through as we get older. I know as I’ve aged, my desire to kill everything that crawls, walks or flies has greatly diminished.

I have a backyard full of grey squirrels, and outside of the little bastards eating every apricot they can from our tree, they’re harmless, and are actually quite entertaining to watch. Hell…a few years back we rescued a baby grey whose mother got street pizza’d in front of our house. He lived in a box with a heating pad in my shop for a few days. All he did was eat, sleep, and want to get petted. He went to a local wildlife rescue where he became the office pet. He was a cute little bugger. Wish we could’ve kept him.

Along with the squirrels, we have about 3 zillion dove and band tailed pigeons that hang out at our bird feeder. Despite frequent fantasies about stuffing their plump little breasts into jalapeño poppers, I don’t. They’re fun to watch. Besides…there is another set of plump breasts I’m beholden to and she has forbade me from any backyard safari adventures.

Do you, dude, and don’t worry about it.

Justin

IMG_3796.jpeg

One time I had a squirrel sunbathing on a bolder, as I was ready to pull the trigger, another one came up and start kissing and giving each other hugs, I just couldn’t pull the trigger and let them go, even more I packed my stuff and went home. 😔😔😔

Renz
In the 23 years I have lived in my home and shot squirrels, this is the first time I have been able to get close to one. My guess is one of the neighbors has been hand feeding this one and she is no longer afraid of people. Normally she'd be dispatched, knowing that she will soon be eating pecans out of my tree. I shot her once, she gets a pass until she gets out of line!

Reactions: RENVAL and qball
One time I had a squirrel sunbathing on a bolder, as I was ready to pull the trigger, another one came up and start kissing and giving each other hugs, I just couldn’t pull the trigger and let them go, even more I packed my stuff and went home. 😔😔😔

Renz
Your kidding right? I would have lined them up for a 2 for 1 shot!

I have a backyard policy that allows for a few of anything, including squirrels and racoons - however, I'm always ready to take the steps needed to keep the wildlife managed well. I love watching squirrels and I love making tacos out of them.

Iguanas, starlings, HOSP, and a few others get zero passes though, this yard is where they go to die.

I use to enjoy watching the 2 fat grey squirrels in my tree, but the fox squirrels came and pushed them out. Then the fox squirrels caused $20k of damage to my neighbor’s roof so my yard became no rodent zone. If I see a grey again I’ll give it a pass as long as it doesn’t come close to the house but no way I would give ANY fox squirrel a pass.

But it’s your yard and no shame in giving a pass to a creature of your liking.

Reactions: Headshots
Haha, I have been dealing with that same scenario over here. I shot a squirrel at 30 yards in my front yard with my Hatsan Jet .177 and the pellet bounced off his head; it ran off. I thought, "great, this is like catch and release". Now, I am feeding it and his 2 buddies as they grow fatter and fatter. I had them in my sights many times and could not get myself to even cock the gun, and I don't even drink 8ud l13#t.

No problem with your situation. We get older and we get smarter. We understand we have a place above the animals of the earth. With that position comes the duty to share compassion with them sometimes, to show an appreciation for them being here. It does not mean you give up shooting them, just not all of them.
I remember when I first got into quail hunting and pointers. I always valued the quail and we put a lot of energy into habitat improvement etc. at the ranch we manage.
We have been managing the place for 15 or 16 years now. I used to shoot well over 100 quail a year hunting there and other nearby areas. All wild birds, not one planted one.
Last year I shot maybe 25. The dogs pointed 100’s of them. Anymore, it is for the dogs. I love to watch them work, quarter a cover, use the wind to find a scent then locate the birds and hold them. Now, most of the time I flush them and just watch them fly away. I shoot just enough to keep the dogs working and connecting the dots of their training.
We get older, wiser and learn what it is we appreciate about our time outdoors.

Killing anything is serious business, something that shouldn't be done mindlessly or with no ethics involved. WHY be embarrassed for displaying compassion towards another living creature? It's a quality that's part of being human (for MOST of us) & there for a reason. No shame in admitting it!

Killing anything is serious business, something that shouldn't be done mindlessly or with no ethics involved. WHY be embarrassed for displaying compassion towards another living creature? It's a quality that's part of being human (for MOST of us) & there for a reason. No shame in admitting it!
What he said.....👍

I have a backyard policy that allows for a few of anything, including squirrels and racoons - however, I'm always ready to take the steps needed to keep the wildlife managed well. I love watching squirrels and I love making tacos out of them.

Iguanas, starlings, HOSP, and a few others get zero passes though, this yard is where they go to die.
Hahaha!!!

I'd love to watch someone make tacos out of squirrels!! 🤷🏾‍♂️