I'm calling BullS×÷T on Artillery Hold

ca someone post a picture of the vuanted Artillery hold please.
Thank You!!!!

1713483261985.png

This is a memory of a memory, and not the actual memory! Some of you may understand that. Lol
I replaced my Sheridan with an R1 30 + years ago as my squirrel gun. I never heard about any special holds I just shot a lot, and learned the dos and don'ts of my gun. I particularly like long range, treed squirrel hunting. Unlike my 22 rifle or my Sheridan, I couldn't lean the gun against a tree to aim. I remember learning that the gun was bouncing off of most rests. So I concluded that I needed to replicate to the best of my ability a non bias (right or left) hold. I could still lean against the tree but I had to rest the gun on my hand, it just needed to recoil vertically. I wound up with some great shots and lots of squirrel and dumplings. I had my mind set right off the bat, that the R1 compared to the Sheridan in power at about 40 yards, so I anticipated adding 40 yards to my typical shoot range. I began to better understand springer recoil shooting my P1.

IMHO the larger point is that springers have unique recoil/shot time characteristics which require a CONSISTENT hold for optimum accuracy.

The "artillery hold" is one way to do this. It's easy to do and indeed works well for many guns and many shooters. But the idea that it's the ONLY good way to shoot ALL springers is unhelpfully simplistic.

IMHO the larger point is that springers have unique recoil/shot time characteristics which require a CONSISTENT hold for optimum accuracy.

The "artillery hold" is one way to do this. It's easy to do and indeed works well for many guns and many shooters. But the idea that it's the ONLY good way to shoot ALL springers is unhelpfully simplistic.
Yes .......... this is the simple truth (y).

Reactions: Bandito
As long as you get used to always holding them the same way, they will shoot to POA. I have been shooting springers since the mid 1980s and don’t think about hold at all. If you vary your hold your better suited to PCPs and you should go compressor shopping.
It seems to me that hold is much more important with low power springers.

The Diana just did not care how or if you held it, until the breech seal got a big gash and the poi shifted 4 inches from standing to prone.

I spent a lot of time chasing the hold.
my HW30 likes to be held loose, the artillery hold? When I bought my HW95, that hold did not work and began to understand that springers, to a degree are individual in how they want to be held.

My 95 hold, a firm trigger hand and just resting on my off hand, translates directly to my pcps. Same hold I use for my pb guns.

Also, what that hand is doing throughout the shot cycle is much more important to me.
consistency and follow through, create that muscle memory, which may need to vary a little for each.

Pistol or rifle, no matter the propulsion, if you are milking the cow, you will miss.

My method for holding a springer is to shoot on a target with excellent contrast from the reticle and watch the movement of the reticle against the target/background. The goal is to change the firmness and shape of your hold until the crosshairs move as little as possible during the shot cycle, and if that’s not happening, the same consistent movement during each shot cycle.

I tried experimenting with various holds and judging success based on group size but that is really difficult and time consuming in practice. Watching reticle movement often finds a good hold in just a few shots.

I haven’t owned a ton of springers but of the two I shot the most, the magnum did shoot well with a firm hold. No idea why.