I'm a novice and would like to know, what is the most accurate and affordable pcp rifle to 50 yards? Any good recommendations? Within USD 500.

I've had a Hatsan AT-44, bullbup, FX dreamlite .25 and Air Venturi Avenger .177. The FX is out of your price range but within 35y, the farthest I ever shoot it, the Avenger is right there with tight groups. It clanks on the hammer like a non reg gun but for the price, it is surprisingly accurate. Much more that the Hatsans I had. I have chickens too and use mine for the same. .177 with a 8.4 jsb turned all the way down is around 920fps , super flat, no hold over under 10-35 yards and enough fpe to pass through rats and birds within 35y. you will need a mod on it. http://www.airguns.net/trajectory.php https://hardairmagazine.com/ballistic-coefficients/

Reactions: Gavin777
The original poster needs to provide a lot more detail about his needs/wants before anyone can help. OP (original poster) is going to shoot very small critters (rats) inside of a structure that may have lots and lots of critters that are to be protected (chickens). The chickens need to be NOT shot. The structure needs to be NOT shot. The rats need to be shot. Something (unknown) needs to be shot at 50 yards with accuracy. Are the rats going to be shot at night with a night scope? Where are the chickens when this is going on? $500 for a PCP rifle AND a night vision scope? PCP rifles need a hand pump or a compressor to get air into them -- do you have that covered already or is that something else that needs to be purchased with the $500? I think some photographs of the chicken coup are necessary here. And a lot more info from the OP. Dear OP, don't be afraid to put forth a long wordy detailed post with photographs included.

grungy

The original poster needs to provide a lot more detail about his needs/wants before anyone can help. OP (original poster) is going to shoot very small critters (rats) inside of a structure that may have lots and lots of critters that are to be protected (chickens). The chickens need to be NOT shot. The structure needs to be NOT shot. The rats need to be shot. Something (unknown) needs to be shot at 50 yards with accuracy. Are the rats going to be shot at night with a night scope? Where are the chickens when this is going on? $500 for a PCP rifle AND a night vision scope? PCP rifles need a hand pump or a compressor to get air into them -- do you have that covered already or is that something else that needs to be purchased with the $500? I think some photographs of the chicken coup are necessary here. And a lot more info from the OP. Dear OP, don't be afraid to put forth a long wordy detailed post with photographs included.

grungy
Thank you so much for your reply, $500 is just a gun. The structure is not afraid of being destroyed

Thank you so much for your reply, $500 is just a gun. The structure is not afraid of being destroyed
Hey Gavin777, that is GOOD news. How close will the chickens be to the rats that are gonna get busted? I'm asking this because any PCP rifle that will be recommended is going to shoot right through a rat and possibly ricochet off of what's behind it. Also the slug/pellet could take a 90-degree turn as it goes through the rat and come out at maybe 90 degrees from the direction it went into the rat. Hopefully that's not a problem for nearby chickens or other things.
Also, you want to hit stuff at 50 yards "accurately". What stuff at 50 yards? Raccoons? Ground hogs? Pigs? Paper targets? Steel spinning targets?
I already have a gun in mind, but I want to hear more from you before I recommend it. Your answers could change my answer.

grungy

Hi gavin
One gun that would suit your requirements to a t is the kral np02
Power can be turned up down by venturi screw easily.
High shot count very accurate/ short not to heavy "so ideal for barn work .
It will require a air pump preferably electric as it has quite a big air volume.
But both should be about in your price range
Only negative with this gun I could truly find was the cocking lever is so close to the magazine " but I have big fingers
I did find a way around it
Look at pics

image000000(1).jpg

image000004.jpg

Gavin, I don't see any mention of where you live. Your profile shows an unknown location. I assumed (my bad) that you live in the United States where full-powered PCP rifles are allowed. If you live in a country that only allows PCP rifles with a maximum power of 12 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle, then some of the rifles that have been recommended might not even be allowed.

You guys giving out advice on which rifle is best -- well you are all fired. You are all giving out advice without knowing enough about what the OP needs or wants or is even allowed to have.

grungy

Another vote for a Gamo Urban. Made in the UK with a BSA hammer forged barrel. They shoot above their price and specs.
Hi
Reason I suggested Kral is 1 its power can be easily adjusted without having to take the gun apart and 2 it's short so good in both departments for barn shooting.
Gamo urban weight 10lb
Gamo urban length 41"
Gamo urban shot count 40 + or -
Kral np 02 weight 7lb
Kral np02 length 30"
Kral np02 shot count 200 + or -
Both accurate .
Kral uk 12ftlbs can go down to 3ftlbs
Will shoot wadcutter pellets.
I have no doubt urban is a good gun.
Here is my coyote which has been in the back of my cupboard since I bought it.
Just because it's made in uk doesn't make it great.
Grungy is correct in what he is saying taking into account gun law building and surrounding area of shoot ie risk assessment .
But I'm sure gavin will find the gun that suits him

20230507_110050.jpg

Last edited:
Gavin, I don't see any mention of where you live. Your profile shows an unknown location. I assumed (my bad) that you live in the United States where full-powered PCP rifles are allowed. If you live in a country that only allows PCP rifles with a maximum power of 12 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle, then some of the rifles that have been recommended might not even be allowed.

You guys giving out advice on which rifle is best -- well you are all fired. You are all giving out advice without knowing enough about what the OP needs or wants or is even allowed to have.

grungy
I live in the US, OR state. Don't worry about my chickens getting hurt, I only shoot outside the coop, the mice are all over the chicken feed.

Hey Gavin777, that is GOOD news. How close will the chickens be to the rats that are gonna get busted? I'm asking this because any PCP rifle that will be recommended is going to shoot right through a rat and possibly ricochet off of what's behind it. Also the slug/pellet could take a 90-degree turn as it goes through the rat and come out at maybe 90 degrees from the direction it went into the rat. Hopefully that's not a problem for nearby chickens or other things.
Also, you want to hit stuff at 50 yards "accurately". What stuff at 50 yards? Raccoons? Ground hogs? Pigs? Paper targets? Steel spinning targets?
I already have a gun in mind, but I want to hear more from you before I recommend it. Your answers could change my answer.

grungy
50 yards, it happens to be the platform of my house, where I drink tea and bask in the sun. When I configure the night vision scope, I don't have to run so far, forgive my laziness, lol

Hi
Reason I suggested Kral is 1 its power can be easily adjusted without having to take the gun apart and 2 it's short so good in both departments for barn shooting.
Gamo urban weight 10lb
Gamo urban length 41"
Gamo urban shot count 40 + or -
Kral np 02 weight 7lb
Kral np02 length 30"
Kral np02 shot count 200 + or -
Both accurate .
Kral uk 12ftlbs can go down to 3ftlbs
Will shoot wadcutter pellets.
I have no doubt urban is a good gun.
Here is my coyote which has been in the back of my cupboard since I bought it.
Just because it's made in uk doesn't make it great.
Grungy is correct in what he is saying taking into account gun law building and surrounding area of shoot ie risk assessment .
But I'm sure gavin will find the gun that suits him

View attachment 354307
it looks really new🥰

I live in the US, OR state. Don't worry about my chickens getting hurt, I only shoot outside the coop, the mice are all over the chicken feed.
Hi gavin
Any of the guns I've gave you as reference will do the job inside your budget
The pr900w aka stormrider can be pumped up with normal hand pump quite easily and you still have plenty of money left over.
It's a basic no frills rifle but does what its supposed to do well " and you won't be to bothered about it getting marked up at that price.
A decent new spring rifle would cost you more.
Whatever you decide to buy look at the reviews on it first from more than one person and get the true information on it.
EdinGa a member on here shoots one find him ask his opinion.
There are many budget guns out there gavin I'm only giving you my input of what I know works because I've shot them.
I'm sure other people will chime in with their input and rightly so" dont just take my word for it.
Hopefully you find the airgun that suits you and let us know how you get on

Last edited:
@Gavin777 Save yourself some trouble, practice by shooting rat sized targets in order to become proficient with your new gun. I also think it’s a good idea to move in closer than 50 yards. Strongly consider getting within 25 yards with a tuned down gun. You don’t need a lot of power for rats and mice. British guys regularly kill rats with sub 12 fpe guns. If you’re a novice, shooting rats at 50 yards is a good way to waste pellets and introduce lead into an area where your chickens can ingest it.

For folks who haven’t raised chickens, they mostly roost at night in my experience. Meaning they will be perched up on top of something to sleep. The rats should mostly be on the ground, likely around the chicken feed. The feeding area is likely in proximity to the enclosure that the chickens sleep in. Where I live we call it a hen house. The coop can simply be a fenced in area, but I can also be the structure. The concern would be hitting the structure with pass through shots (as mentioned by others) AND pellets stopping in the dirt that can be later scratched up and ingested by the chickens. This would present a an entirely different issue for the chickens ingesting lead and eggs of laying hens. Not a great idea. I used to shoot things with brass BBs in the hen house. Two or three pumps worked ok and it was mostly snakes after the eggs that I shot up close in the hen house. Some things to think about.

Oddly enough you mentioned basking in the sun. Do you regularly see rats around your coop in the daytime?

Gavin, this is starting to sound like fun now that we know your gonna be taking out mice/rats at 50 yards from the comfort of your porch with a night scope and and something to drink (if it was me I'd be drinking coffee and be up till the weeee hours of the morning). Then Ezana4CE had to go and spoil it all by reminding us that the dumb chickens might eat lead bits. And the part about practicing by shooting rat-sized targets is kind of a party-poop too. I think that practicing to shoot mice/rats at 50 yards is best done by shooting mice/rats at 50 yards and just have a lot of pellets/slugs and air on hand. You either waste slugs/pellets by practicing on a fake rat or you waste slugs/pellets by missing a real rat. The 2nd option sounds like more fun. Now that we know what you're up to, maybe someone will come up with some better solutions. Plastic slugs maybe? I've heard of 'em, but I can't imagine that they would be very accurate at 50 yards. Anybody here know about non-lead slugs/pellets? Good luck Gavin.

grungy

We had a couple raccoons eating the bird seed I spread out on the ground. Didn't seem to care about us telling them to move on . I grabbed the Red Rider and shot the biggest one in the but , then one more for the road. They haven't been back since.
It sounds messed up, but if they lived and got the message. I guess it’s a win/win situation.
Gavin, this is starting to sound like fun now that we know your gonna be taking out mice/rats at 50 yards from the comfort of your porch with a night scope and and something to drink (if it was me I'd be drinking coffee and be up till the weeee hours of the morning). Then Ezana4CE had to go and spoil it all by reminding us that the dumb chickens might eat lead bits. And the part about practicing by shooting rat-sized targets is kind of a party-poop too. I think that practicing to shoot mice/rats at 50 yards is best done by shooting mice/rats at 50 yards and just have a lot of pellets/slugs and air on hand. You either waste slugs/pellets by practicing on a fake rat or you waste slugs/pellets by missing a real rat. The 2nd option sounds like more fun. Now that we know what you're up to, maybe someone will come up with some better solutions. Plastic slugs maybe? I've heard of 'em, but I can't imagine that they would be very accurate at 50 yards. Anybody here know about non-lead slugs/pellets? Good luck Gavin.

grungy

@grungy Yes, there are alternative non-lead pellets. As for practicing on live animals, that’s a horrible sentiment and practice to promote and it goes against what some of us in the airgun community represent. All missed shots are not garunteed to be clean misses. Ethics are a thing. If an animal suffers and dies slow due to an occasional poorly placed shot that’s understandable, but going out to hunt or reduce a pest animal’s population (aka pesting) unprepared and using live targets for practice is frowned upon. I realize everyone does not agree with this idea, but this is how I feel, as well as other members I’m acquainted with, and it’s also in alignment with the rules of AGN.

Last edited:
Reactions: Headshots