I'm a novice and would like to know, what is the most accurate and affordable pcp rifle to 50 yards? Any good recommendations? Within USD 500.

The Urban does not weigh 10 lbs.

The GAMO URBAN PCP is available in . 22 caliber and features the quietest noise suppression technology from GAMO, the Whisper Fusion. This air rifle is a 10-round pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) bolt action repeater that only weights 6.6 lbs.
I stand corrected headshots
And I oppologise profoundly
Gamo urban 6.6lbs
Gavin look what you started lol
Maybe the best gun would be the stun variety he he
Gavin shooting rats and leaving lead on the ground mixed with grain is not good
I'm not a chicken man but why grain not. in a feeder instead of scattered on floor.
That alone would half the problem
Here in the uk I shoot rats at less than 10mtrs at well below 12ftlbs by using a small pir lamp and white board with no night vision.
Rats are very quick and dont sit still for more than a second or two and at 50 yrds you will probably hit 1 out of 10 if your lucky.
You need to get the distance down to at least half .
And half again if shooting from a sun lounger off your deck.
I totally agree with Ezana4ce if your going to shoot an animal then kill it not wound it or hope for the best" no decent shooter worth his salt would condone doing that.
Maybe chinese bucket rat trap is best option here.

Last edited:
Hi Gavin777. I've done almost zero research on lead-free slugs/pellets. But a real quick youtube search popped this up right away.
All lead-free ammo is going to be less dense than lead ammo. So the lead-free stuff can go faster out of the muzzle but will probably slow down more quickly than lead ammo as the target range increases. In this video the guy is testing lead-free 25 caliber pellets to lead pellets at 50 yards.

Regarding my earlier comment about not wasting ammo on a fake rat was not intended to mean that you shouldn't sight in your rifle or try to get the best tune out of it before shooting live critters. I have kind of a "dry" sense of humor that a lot of people don't get.

50 yards is a long shot on a mouse, but hopefully you'll have a nice bench rest setup on your porch. A steady setup on a bench rest and the fact that you'll be shooting at night when the wind is minimal still sounds challenging to me, but I'm not a very good shot -- too old and shaky.

grungy

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: aroundlocks
Hi Gavin777. I've done almost zero research on lead-free slugs/pellets. But a real quick youtube search popped this up right away.
All lead-free ammo is going to be less dense than lead ammo. So the lead-free stuff can go faster out of the muzzle but will probably slow down more quickly than lead ammo as the target range increases. In this video the guy is testing lead-free 25 caliber pellets to lead pellets at 50 yards.

Regarding my earlier comment about not wasting ammo on a fake rat was not intended to mean that you shouldn't sight in your rifle or try to get the best tune out of it before shooting live critters. I have kind of a "dry" sense of humor that a lot of people don't get.

50 yards is a long shot on a mouse, but hopefully you'll have a nice bench rest setup on your porch. A steady setup on a bench rest and the fact that you'll be shooting at night when the wind is minimal still sounds challenging to me, but I'm not a very good shot -- too old and shaky.

grungy
Hi gavin
Thanks to grungy for finding them.
Jsb do a lead free selection by the look of it.
Wadcutter type of pellet has less chance of passing through rat when hit depending on power of air rifle and distance its shot at obviously.
I still say you need to reduce distance to have realistic chance" especially being a novice shooter as you will find out when you try dispatching them" they are quick.
Fair play grungy for holding hands up
Maybe we've all been educated abit in this post and be better people for it.
Keep us informed gavin to how you progress after the mayhem you've caused " lol " take care all

Screenshot_20230508-202807_Chrome.jpg

FWIW one of our chickens found it's way to my target hay bail, first time one has gone there and last. If they die early I do an autopsy. I won't post the black gizzard as it's not the hunting section but this is what was removed from it. Only the button and screw were metal. The others were lead pellets. They always have random stuff if they free range but not lead. Things won't pass through like they would in a mammal and will stay in there. There was no food in the gizzard, just what you see. I use a small live catch trap at night for rats. Never fails like snap traps. A 5 minute dunk in a water bucket finishes them.

I only shoot birds in the coop area and never miss, not yet. 7-10 fpe is all that's needed.

As for the previous question of food on the floor or feeder. It ends up on the ground even if it's in a feeder. They aren't too smart and no matter what you do they will make a mess. Chickens are wired to constantly peck things off the ground even when there is only dirt. They will eat a pellet or glass or whatever they think is food.

pellets.jpg

FWIW one of our chickens found it's way to my target hay bail, first time one has gone there and last. If they die early I do an autopsy. I won't post the black gizzard as it's not the hunting section but this is what was removed from it. Only the button and screw were metal. The others were lead pellets. They always have random stuff if they free range but not lead. Things won't pass through like they would in a mammal and will stay in there. There was no food in the gizzard, just what you see. I use a small live catch trap at night for rats. Never fails like snap traps. A 5 minute dunk in a water bucket finishes them.

I only shoot birds in the coop area and never miss, not yet. 7-10 fpe is all that's needed.

As for the previous question of food on the floor or feeder. It ends up on the ground even if it's in a feeder. They aren't too smart and no matter what you do they will make a mess. Chickens are wired to constantly peck things off the ground even when there is only dirt. They will eat a pellet or glass or whatever they think is food.

View attachment 354936
Hi Clifton
Thanks for posting
Maybe gavin has a bit more insight has to what his chickens will be picking up off the ground.
Maybe he could adopt the same method as yourself.
I am not a chicken keeper but it seemed to me it better for food to be contained rather than thrown onto the ground" but like I say I don't keep chickens .
A shame about your bird not a good way to go I should imagine.
Some people do get attached to their birds" my pal had a cockerel he loved it and was always chatting to it'" so I nicknamed it wilson after the tom Hanks film lol.
Like I said earlier its been a learning curve for all of us.
Once again clifton thanks for posting it's been an eye opener and the information is useful especially to gavin

View attachment 354936
Clifton brings up a good point. The best part is even if their feed trough is full they'll still go find random things to peck at. I'd suggest removing the possum or rat remains as soon as you can if you're using lead.

Reactions: Gavin777
Gavin . . . I would recommend you take a look at the Benjamin Akela. AoA has them in .177 for $429. Very accurate with an adjustable "power wheel" that lets you control the speed and energy of your pellets. It is not recommended to use non-led pellets in this Akekla "choked" barrel, because they can stick at lower power levels. The long picatinny rail on this bull pup allows for a generous adjustment of different scope eye reliefs with no concern for magazine clearance. I have shot mine with a PARD DS35 night scope with great success. Traditional scopes also work well.

Akela DS35 (2).jpg

Akela-Hawke 3x12-40 (2).jpg

Benjamin 6 (2).jpg

Reactions: Gavin777
I'm a novice and would like to know, what is the most accurate and affordable pcp rifle to 50 yards? Any good recommendations? Within USD 500.I want to kill the rats in the chicken coop and need a night vision scope?

I'm a novice and would like to know, what is the most accurate and affordable pcp rifle to 50 yards? Any good recommendations? Within USD 500.I want to kill the rats in the chicken coop and need a night vision scope?
Just getting into air myself bought the Diana Stormrider .177 so far I like it don't know how long it will last but It will definitely take out a rat. $218.00 out the door. Gun only.

Last edited:
Reactions: EdinGa