I'm a first time gun buyer with several questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well dpow welcome to the forum. I don't think is wierd at all that nobody knows you, you know nothing about airguns or guns at all and the first post you make is asking how to kill people with airguns. I don't know if you are genuine or a cop or even a robot AI doing some kind of wierd test. You could be a 12 year old planning on killing your older brother for all I know. I can tell you that I won't be answering your questions and I find it very odd that you just pop up and start asking about the murdering capabilities of airguns. If you are genuinely interested in self defense I suggest that you do your own research on youtube or get some training. These are the kind of posts that law makers look back on to make more restrictions on our rights. It's just very wierd dude.

I'm sorry if my post sounded weird to you. I assure you that I'm not interested in hurting anyone unless my life is in jeopardy. The fact that I was also inquiring about pepper spray guns should have tipped you off that I'm not looking to go out and murder anybody. But anyway, I'm the crime watch coordinator for my neighborhood, and we recently had a block captain's meeting, on zoom, where we were talking about what would happen if rioters starting moving into suburban neighborhoods. Our neighborhood is a short distance from where the Dallas rioting took place. I asked the other block captains if any of them owned guns. It turns out that all of them do, including the women. So I feel a little embarrassed that I'm the crime watch coordinator but I have no form of self defense. I've never been very comfortable with guns, and never had any desire to buy one, but with all of the craziness that is going on in the world, I figure that I really ought to find some sort of home defense weapon. I'm just having a hard time figuring out what I should get, especially given my circumstances. But based on the responses that I've gotten so far, it sounds like air guns are not a good option for home defense.

No

No

No

And NO!

For home/self defense you must go with a firearm, not an air gun. There are many forums dedicated to the art and use of firearms. Airguns are not suitable for your stated needs.

Well the problem is that I don't think that I'm eligible to buy a regular firearm. 22 years ago I was on felony probation, and even though it was expunged when I completed my probation, I don't know if I would pass a background check through the Alphabet org. So I'm trying to figure out the next best thing. I was thinking about getting either the most powerful air gun available, or maybe one of those pistols with pepper spray bullets. I'm not sure what other options that I have.

Expunged is sealed from law enforcement, so it SHOULD not show up on any type of check. Sealed it is all still there showing that you had a conviction on you, we can't see the specifics without a bunch of hoops being jumped over, expunged is basically a clean slate. I would check, it is pretty easy to do the check.

Also don't just tell the gun shop guy this just fill out the form, you will get an approved, delayed or denied....that is all they need to know. Many people don't understand how this stuff works.

But if I say "no felony" on the application, and it still pops up in the Alphabet org's background check, then couldn't I get into legal trouble for lying to the Alphabet org?

IF your record is really expunged then it will not show up. It is real simple....go in to a law enforcement agency and ask the questions.....they will tell you.....I can say WE will tell you. Again states differ on what can be said, but I think I am safe in saying that you can request you own criminal history. You could also apply for a concealed carry permit. Here *again my state* you can own a gun legal, plus to get the CCW you can't have any domestics, ex parte, as well as a few other things.....OTH discharges I think are a no no still, I don't do the CCW stuff so can not speak to that, but it puts you in the ball park.

1594910417_12656830785f1066d1d87e66.29936260.jpg

Check your record. If nothing comes up try buying a gun. 

Before you get any kind of gun you should get some training so you dont hurt yourself or a friend. Till then a large mean dog by your side would be handy . A can of bear spray not pepper, bear spray will stop king kong in his tracks. But it is very dangerous and can cause permenent blindness. Like a gun only used as a last resort. Best to just stay aware leave if you can house, car etc all can be replaced never ever make a stand leave that to others. Try not to worry too much in time this will all pass.

I see in your profile you are in Texas. I don't know what the laws are in Texas but in Pa. no background check is needed for a face to face resident to resident for a long gun including an AR 15. If that is the case in Texas you may want to look for something used for sale in the classifieds. Now that being said filling out an application for purchase would be the best way and allow you to buy from a reputable gun shop and possibly get some professional advice.

I see in your profile you are in Texas. I don't know what the laws are in Texas but in Pa. no background check is needed for a face to face resident to resident for a long gun including an AR 15. If that is the case in Texas you may want to look for something used for sale in the classifieds. Now that being said filling out an application for purchase would be the best way and allow you to buy from a reputable gun shop and possibly get some professional advice.

This is HORRIBLE advice - you are telling him to go ahead and get a gun while a felon. The law against Felon in Possession of a Firearm does not have anything to do with HOW he obtained the firearm. You are telling him to commit another felony, which will get him 10-20 years in the Big House. Really bad advice.

If in doubt about your status - don't risk it by having a firearm.  DON'T DO IT. If you can get rock solid evidence that your record is (now) clean - you have the option. Again, if you have any doubts, don't freaking do it. Your freedom is worth it. Ain't nobody wanna go to federal lockup.

Reactions: Hapo
Status
Not open for further replies.