I'm a first time gun buyer with several questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a first time gun buyer, and I hardly know anything about guns, so please go easy on me. I have several questions. Thanks in advance for any info that you can give me. 

-Is a .22 air rifle (discussion topic removed) good for hunting small game like ducks and rabbits? 

-Is a .22 air gun just as powerful and lethal as a regular .22 firearm, or are they totally different? (discussion topic removed)

-I've looked at air guns at several stores, and the .22 rifles appear to be the most powerful air guns that I can find. Are there any more powerful air guns? And if so, where might I find them? Or should I just settle for a .22?

-Can I get one that fires multiple shots without having to reload after each shot?

-If I buy a .22 air rifle, then where would be the safest place to practice with it? Would I need to go to a gun range?

-Is it also possible to find an air handgun with equal or greater power?

-Are there any particular models that I should look for? So far I have seen a Shockwave, Benjamin Prowler, Ruger Impact Max, and Gamo Swarm Whisper. 

Mod edit: prohibited discussion topics removed

No

No

No

And NO!

For home/self defense you must go with a firearm, not an air gun. There are many forums dedicated to the art and use of firearms. Airguns are not suitable for your stated needs.

Well the problem is that I don't think that I'm eligible to buy a regular firearm. 22 years ago I was on felony probation, and even though it was expunged when I completed my probation, I don't know if I would pass a background check through the Alphabet org. So I'm trying to figure out the next best thing. I was thinking about getting either the most powerful air gun available, or maybe one of those pistols with pepper spray bullets. I'm not sure what other options that I have.

"Is a .22 air rifle good for home defense?" Air rifles are obsolete for any form of self-defense compared to a firearm. They are excellent for hunting and I shoot mine nearly every day, but I would never try to use it for home defense over an AR, shotgun, handgun, etc. If you're just looking for the bare minimum for what's suitable for home defense, ask yourself this, "Why am I looking for the minimum for something that I'm using to be ready to save my life?"

"Is a .22 air rifle as lethal as a .22 firearm?" No. Airguns shoot a smaller projectile at a much slower speed than standard bullets, so it is significantly less powerful especially for the types of airguns you seem to be looking at. Also, my 2 cents, even a .22 bullet is not a good self-defense caliber, I'd use something with more stopping power.

"Can I get one that fires multiple shots without having to reload after each shot?" Yes, but this does not make them suitable for home defense. Imagine using a bolt action rifle in a home invasion situation.

"If I buy a .22 air rifle, then where would be the safest place to practice with it? Would I need to go to a gun range?" This depends on the type you purchase. Most .22 airguns are able to be used in a backyard, but this depends on where you live. Regardless, always practice good weapon safety (1. Handle each gun as if it's loaded, 2. Never point at anything that you are not willing to destroy, 3. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are going to fire, 4. Be sure of your target and what lies beyond it.)

"Is it also possible to find an air handgun with equal or greater power?" No. See my response to your second question.

"Are there any particular models that I should look for?" This is going to vary with your needs. If you are looking for an airgun for self-defense purposes, I cannot recommend any.

No

No

No

And NO!

For home/self defense you must go with a firearm, not an air gun. There are many forums dedicated to the art and use of firearms. Airguns are not suitable for your stated needs.

Well the problem is that I don't think that I'm eligible to buy a regular firearm. 22 years ago I was on felony probation, and even though it was expunged when I completed my probation, I don't know if I would pass a background check through the Alphabet org. So I'm trying to figure out the next best thing. I was thinking about getting either the most powerful air gun available, or maybe one of those pistols with pepper spray bullets. I'm not sure what other options that I have.

...if you have been clean and can demonstrate rehabilitation you should should be able to qualify if your record has been expunged as you say.

...if not you can still apply for a pardon and in all likelihood get it if you have not had any more disqualifying events occur in the last 22 years...

...as to stopping power, which is what you want, look how much trouble this LEO had stopping a determined, murderous, knife wielder with a service pistol... (graphic)

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=aTTjr_1594760033

…these pistols easily generate 300+ foot pounds of energy…the most powerful big bore air rifles can equal this sort of energy but they are not handy…most "powerful" air rifles generate less than 100 foot pounds...

…to put that in perspective, a high powered fire arm rifle can easily achieve ten times that amount, with even light rounds like the .223 REM / 5.56 NATO producing 1500 foot pounds of energy…a .22 LR will make 100+ foot pounds...

…the most powerful air pistols generate maybe 20-40 foot pounds of energy and most produce substantially less….

…most are not semi auto…the ones that are tend to be especially weak…

…what they are good for is practice…practice…practice…

...that English you tube dude did a great video on this...

No

No

No

And NO!

Expunged is sealed from law enforcement, so it SHOULD not show up on any type of check. Sealed it is all still there showing that you had a conviction on you, we can't see the specifics without a bunch of hoops being jumped over, expunged is basically a clean slate. I would check, it is pretty easy to do the check.

Also don't just tell the gun shop guy this just fill out the form, you will get an approved, delayed or denied....that is all they need to know. Many people don't understand how this stuff works.

No

No

No

And NO!

Expunged is sealed from law enforcement, so it SHOULD not show up on any type of check. Sealed it is all still there showing that you had a conviction on you, we can't see the specifics without a bunch of hoops being jumped over, expunged is basically a clean slate. I would check, it is pretty easy to do the check.

Also don't just tell the gun shop guy this just fill out the form, you will get an approved, delayed or denied....that is all they need to know. Many people don't understand how this stuff works.

But if I say "no felony" on the application, and it still pops up in the Alphabet org's background check, then couldn't I get into legal trouble for lying to the Alphabet org?

1594840836_18841845825f0f57048c7649.75220163.jpg
A black powder firearm is legal for anyone to own. Felon or otherwise. Get yourself a.36 or .44 it will stop those bad guys.

http://poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html

Well dpow welcome to the forum. I don't think is wierd at all that nobody knows you, you know nothing about airguns or guns at all and the first post you make is asking how to kill people with airguns. I don't know if you are genuine or a cop or even a robot AI doing some kind of wierd test. You could be a 12 year old planning on killing your older brother for all I know. I can tell you that I won't be answering your questions and I find it very odd that you just pop up and start asking about the murdering capabilities of airguns. If you are genuinely interested in self defense I suggest that you do your own research on youtube or get some training. These are the kind of posts that law makers look back on to make more restrictions on our rights. It's just very wierd dude. 

No...and No....you need a pardon.Get a crossbow,I have one and it is as powerful as a .38..I had a wood backstop,it went through that and then through a fence....sorry a crossbow is too big...

Is that true a felon can own a black powder gun....Will then that is The solution,I had a .44 black powder Ruger,it was fun and accurate.Right there is your best bet...and that is the whole truth....other than you have to learn to shoot a handgun...takes some practice.

You know Raden I did not see all that in his post.....Never-the-less I like what you said and I think you are right..And another thing some people do not know,yet still try to help,like why....Sometimes trying to be helpful is the wrong thing to do!!

And look at me eating Crow.!!!!!!!!..I do not care I made a mistake; I think everyone did...while maybe not Eaglehorn,he did explain things.

Forgetabout it....I got some Crow to eat.

Well dpow welcome to the forum. I don't think is wierd at all that nobody knows you, you know nothing about airguns or guns at all and the first post you make is asking how to kill people with airguns. I don't know if you are genuine or a cop or even a robot AI doing some kind of wierd test. You could be a 12 year old planning on killing your older brother for all I know. I can tell you that I won't be answering your questions and I find it very odd that you just pop up and start asking about the murdering capabilities of airguns. If you are genuinely interested in self defense I suggest that you do your own research on youtube or get some training. These are the kind of posts that law makers look back on to make more restrictions on our rights. It's just very wierd dude.

...although I can appreciate your concern methinks you should lighten up on the guy...

...he came here asking an honest question...he is one of many who now are considering gun ownership for the first time, and they don't want to go squirrel hunting...

...he does not strike me as some weirdo at all...he is asking aboot self defense, not MURDER...

Status
Not open for further replies.