• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!
  • The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

I'm a bad boy

I made a comment today on another thread. The OP was trying to figure out a mod to his ~$2.3K rifle to make it shoot like he wanted.

I commented that a rifle that costs that much should shoot great with no tinkering rite out of the box.

Well I offended some ppl; one blocked me.

Then I started thinking that I let my mouth overload my ability.

So I shot these groups.

I think I am rite on the money. This rifle costs a fraction of what these "top end" rifles do and seem to work out of the box.

I apologize anyways!!

boom.1627254184.jpg

Great groups Will and glad you documented them. I don't think I'd let go of that gun no matter what the urge. The AA's are great shooting guns as I've had a couple. Seems the grass is always greener on the other side of the field but don't buy into it. In the end the "good" ones always shoot about the same whether 2021 models or 1985's. Just curious, did you regulate the 510 or was that just the way it came? I had a 510 carbine and regulated it and it was great, regulated or not. 

Jking

Great groups Will and glad you documented them. I don't think I'd let go of that gun no matter what the urge. The AA's are great shooting guns as I've had a couple. Seems the grass is always greener on the other side of the field but don't buy into it. In the end the "good" ones always shoot about the same whether 2021 models or 1985's. Just curious, did you regulate the 510 or was that just the way it came? I had a 510 carbine and regulated it and it was great, regulated or not. 

Jking

This is the latest, early 2021, version of the 510 series. It has a regulator from the factory.

https://www.air-arms.co.uk/s510-xs.html

Will

Good shooting!

I think it's the law of averages. The chances of getting a lemon with a less expensive air rifle are higher. The chances of getting a precise shooting rifle are greater with higher end gear. 

It can also come down to getting a great batch of pellets vs a batch that doesn't shoot well.

Refinement in a gun will increase the potential of the shooter to succeed. 

Precision is wonderful but it's the whole package that puts a smile on my face.

An expensive rifle that shoots like crap is horrible. A cheap rifle that shoots horrible is not quite as bad. Typically it's a mid grade rifle that shoots mid grade too, that's where most of us are at. When you have a top of the line rifle that is everything that was hoped for and then every time you shoot it you freak out a little then you're truly experiencing something few do.

A couple years ago I was shooting our state FT match. I set up to shoot a 32Y 1" KZ(super easy shot) and missed twice, I didn't even hit metal??!! At the time I thought for sure the scope had broke but I cleaned the next three lanes, I was mystified??!! 20 minutes later a friend came over and said that there was a hole in the pattle on the target that I missed because the pattle protector had fallen down due to the rivet in the center falling out. I can only assume that I shot though the 1/4" hole in the pattle both shots but hadn't noticed the tiny hole! That USFT has always shot well and more importantly it doesn't have POI shifts like many less expensive PCP's I've owned have had. 

If you have an exceptional rifle that you didn't pay much for then more power to you! I haven't had one yet.

That look okay to me.

My 10 year old FX cyclone will do the same, and considering it is a rather crude rifle by today's standards i fear i might have too high expectations to my performance with the Maverick i have ordered, and just found out today will be delayed to mid - late August at best ( My BD is late August so hopes up for getting the maverick before that,,,, 5 months after ordering it )

Reminds me of all the discussions I've seen over the years of people claiming they shoot 1/4" groups with their firearms whenever they want, then someone mentions group aggregates and doing it in competition. Whole different game when real measurements and rules have to be followed. 

I agree with your post and after seeing some of the issues with some of the guns since I came here a coupe months ago it pretty well boggles me they let them out the door like that. That fact has changed my way of thinking from hyped up to get hunting with an airgun to hyped up to make it shoot well and doing some shooting. 

I made a comment today on another thread. The OP was trying to figure out a mod to his ~$2.3K rifle to make it shoot like he wanted.

I commented that a rifle that costs that much should shoot great with no tinkering rite out of the box.

So I shot these groups.

I think I am rite on the money. This rifle costs a fraction of what these "top end" rifles do and seem to work out of the box.

I apologize anyways!!

I -love- the looks of that AA carbine! Have you ever stretched it out to 100 yds? If so, how did it do?

So I shot these groups.

I apologize anyways!!

I -love- the looks of that AA carbine! Have you ever stretched it out to 100 yds? If so, how did it do?

I have a .75" x .75" bell hung at 70 yards that I shoot often. I hit it every time unless I mis-judge wind.

I'll tape up a target this weekend and report back.

Will