Iguana: Minimum Acceptable Caliber, FPE & Kill Zone

Thanks for sharing, true, but also remember that I built my RTI magazine, I can modify the size no problem, is just that so far I've been using hades and really haven't put time on that

Understood, thank you for making those magazines BTW! I just picked one up from you for my Maverick a couple of weeks ago.

I really like the Hades as well. I actually prefer them over the polymags for most critters. My biggest gripe with the polymags is their cost, but they are a fantastic hunting pellet.

Here are a couple of additional images from the downloadable Interactive Iguana. at https://people.ohio.edu/witmerl/3D_iguana.htm

1662676836739.png

Matches up pretty well with the previous kill zone images.
1662677806273.png

Side View
1662676849588.png

The Pineal gland is also known as the parietal or "third" eye & is located on top of the head a little behind the midpoint between the eyes. While iguanas can't see out of it, it senses shadows to warn them of overhead predators. Coincidentally, that area also seems like a good place for the up-close finishes.

1662676985163.jpeg

Top View
1662676858962.png

Just behind the eye any caliber. Probably need 20ft/lbs. I shoot them all with my .30 because that is my all around caliber for game. It rocks their world. I talked with PuertoRico just now and his biggest iguana was taken with .177. We both shoot FX powerpups .30 with 600mm barrels with 80ft/lbs at muzzle. (Pellets)

20210830_122106.jpg

IMG-20210830-WA0005.jpeg

Last edited:
Just behind the eye any caliber. Probably need 20ft/lbs. I shoot them all with my .30 because that is my all around caliber for game. It rocks their world. I talked with PuertoRico just now and his biggest iguana was taken with .177. We both shoot FX powerpups .30 with 600mm barrels with 80ft/lbs at muzzle. (Pellets)
Thanks for the reply— that's a massive iguana! I occasionally go to PR for work; it might be fun to have a late afternoon ranch clearing adventure if I can find the right guide.

I live in CA so no iguana hunting for me but I love watching iguana hunting videos. My favorite part is when people come up and lose thier sh#! They always get educated on why they need killing and most of them insist that it's illegal. I don't know why it makes me so happy to watch. I'm sure it's a pain in the rear to deal with but I've wasted a few hours of my life laughing at the whole thing. Anyway love your videos keep it up.

I live in CA so no iguana hunting for me but I love watching iguana hunting videos. My favorite part is when people come up and lose thier sh#! They always get educated on why they need killing and most of them insist that it's illegal. I don't know why it makes me so happy to watch. I'm sure it's a pain in the rear to deal with but I've wasted a few hours of my life laughing at the whole thing. Anyway love your videos keep it up.
So far most people in the area I hunt iguana understand the need for eradication. Some people do not, and get very upset.

I've had quite a few sideways glances when they see me prep and eat them....

Reactions: Miami Airgunner
I agree that the goal is 1 shot - 1 kill, but respectfully disagree that anything less is animal cruelty in FL. It is probably best not to debate this too much on a public forum; I'm happy to discuss via PM. However, I do believe we're in agreement on the heart of the matter anyway.

It is unfortunate that we live in world of hypersensitive people who are triggered by things they are ignorant of, so it is best to cya as best one can.

Florida has animal anti-cruelty laws like most (if not all) of the rest of the US. I am not a lawyer, but believe the key phrase in the FL Statutes is "Intentionally commits an act which results in a cruel death, or excessive or repeated infliction of unnecessary pain or suffering."

If someone intended to "take" any game by targeting vitals as best they can, I believe follow up shot(s) are perfectly reasonable and would not constitute animal cruelty. On the other hand, just "shooting them up" without targeting vitals could be considered animal cruelty.

FL Statute 828.12 Cruelty to animals. -
(2) A person who intentionally commits an act to any animal, or a person who owns or has the custody or control of any animal and fails to act, which results in the cruel death, or excessive or repeated infliction of unnecessary pain or suffering, or causes the same to be done, commits aggravated animal cruelty, a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or by a fine of not more than $10,000, or both.
(a) A person convicted of a violation of this subsection, where the finder of fact determines that the violation includes the knowing and intentional torture or torment of an animal that injures, mutilates, or kills the animal, shall be ordered to pay a minimum mandatory fine of $2,500 and undergo psychological counseling or complete an anger management treatment program.

I agree that the goal is 1 shot - 1 kill, but respectfully disagree that anything less is animal cruelty in FL. It is probably best not to debate this too much on a public forum; I'm happy to discuss via PM. However, I do believe we're in agreement on the heart of the matter anyway.

It is unfortunate that we live in world of hypersensitive people who are triggered by things they are ignorant of, so it is best to cya as best one can.

{SNIPPED LEGAL CITATIONS}

I certainly wouldn't want to debate it much with you, just from what I've read, primarily from the 'real' authority (lol, IE, the news media that folks get their 'facts' from), it's not a debate I'd want to have AT all with anyone wearing a badge, or, more concerningly, an angry and well-misinformed resident who has been feeding the critters for two years.

FWIW, I think any REASONABLE officer would agree with your idea. I'm just not certain that they're all reasonable at each moment of every day, and I KNOW the angry resident wouldn't be likely to be particularly reasonable. :)

I certainly wouldn't want to debate it much with you, just from what I've read, primarily from the 'real' authority (lol, IE, the news media that folks get their 'facts' from), it's not a debate I'd want to have AT all with anyone wearing a badge, or, more concerningly, an angry and well-misinformed resident who has been feeding the critters for two years.

FWIW, I think any REASONABLE officer would agree with your idea. I'm just not certain that they're all reasonable at each moment of every day, and I KNOW the angry resident wouldn't be likely to be particularly reasonable. :)
I'm with you. As I said, I think we're in agreement at the heart of the matter. (y)

Last edited:
I have hunted them as well as a couple of other species of reptile. Like someone has already posted they are tough and dumb. A CNS shot is the only way. Hit em in the think box or sever the spine. Any other spot and it will be a while before they figure out they’re dead. I’ve hunted them with a .22 cal Hatsan mod 125 and it was overkill.
IMO any accurate 15 fpe springer should kill em DRT if you smack em up side the head.

This is an exceptionally informative thread:
• Kill zone images and sizes, relative to animal size
• skeleton diagrams
• the most experienced share caliber, power, and projectile choices and their reasons for same.
Thank you all!! 👍🏼

Wished we had something like this for some of the other critters.

Matthias 😊

This is an exceptionally informative thread:
Wished we had something like this for some of the other critters.
It was a challenge to find quality info online (even on the Florida Wildlife Commission website). The videos from Orion the Iguana Hunter & Airgun Evolution don't usually go into too much detail, but they're pretty good about mentioning their gun/caliber/pellet info, and the painted pellets really help identify the kill zone in the high-resolution videos.

Anyone interested in trying to help curb the iguana population should have access to information about how to ethically take them, and the group's participation has really added solid value. Thank you Matthias & thank you AGN.

As for having threads about this for other critters - go ahead & start one!

Reactions: JungleShooter
So many good answers in this thread. I use .22 with only 20FPE at the muzzle. All headshots behind the eye as described by others. I've managed to take quite a few monsters out to 40 yards now (I have a limited distance to hunt in PR right now).

My trick is still finding a very good way to prep them for eating.....

Attached is my most recent. I soaked it first in beer, then soda, then home made buttermilk. Then parbroiled, then BBQ in my own rub with my own sauce. It was decent....I've started going for the "smaller" ones thinking their meat may be more tender.

20220518_220040.jpg

20220518_220036.jpg

20220122_142840.jpg

Last edited: