• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Iguana in South Florida

Florida has more than it's share of invasive species. I know it is off subject but consider the invasive hydrilla in Lake Seminole. This was/is an aquatic plant used in fish aquariums. Some good seminarian most likely emptied their aquarium into the lake. Thus it began. Fishermen from other states took it to other areas on their boat prop and now this stuff is everywhere and still spreading. A lot of other aquatic invasive species got a similar start. That is how the iguana got it's humble start. They either escaped or were turned loose by a good seminarian. LOL this is how nearly all invasive species started.

when i was younger you rarely saw them in the wild and they were a favorite exotic pet in most pet stores, same with anacondas ... down south though its so built up and crowded now you cant just go skipping through the neighborhood with an advanced airgun that looks like an assault rifle, unless you want to get converged on by about 10 sheriffs vehicles .. exactly what would happen lol .. sure ultimately youd get awayvwith it, you wont be doing any hunting though, just trying to talk your way out if it .. thats if you dont get shot by a gung ho rookie lol ...

when i was younger you rarely saw them in the wild and they were a favorite exotic pet in most pet stores, same with anacondas ... down south though its so built up and crowded now you cant just go skipping through the neighborhood with an advanced airgun that looks like an assault rifle, unless you want to get converged on by about 10 sheriffs vehicles .. exactly what would happen lol .. sure ultimately youd get awayvwith it, you wont be doing any hunting though, just trying to talk your way out if it .. thats if you dont get shot by a gung ho rookie lol ...

You got that right.

I wasn't even going there about the Constrictor Snakes and especially Pythons disturbing Eco Systems down there. Coyote have caused similar problems here and in Neighboring States.

Not to mention the cane toad. Guess what... the Eurasian Collared-Dove was released in the Bahamas in~1974 and quickly spread into Florida and from there we know the Paul Harvey of that story.

signal-2022-01-22-14-22-48-253.1643979790.jpg

Not only shooters are helping the situation. My dog caught this guy in the park by my house. The problem with iguanas is that many times they are in parks and densely populated neighborhoods where shooting them really isn't an option. 

signal-2022-01-22-14-22-48-253.1643979790.jpg

Not only shooters are helping the situation. My dog caught this guy in the park by my house. The problem with iguanas is that many times they are in parks and densely populated neighborhoods where shooting them really isn't an option.

The iguana is almost as big as your dog!

Yes the situation is a conundrum. Shooting them is not really feasible in a lots of situations because of their presence in congested neighborhoods. I believe they are here to stay like may invasive species throughout the world. We are our worst enemy. There has to be effective national & international laws to help solve future problems with invasive species worldwide. That is the only way and therein lies the problem and solution. It is a worldwide problem, The problem starts when the invasive species are brought into a country.. Once they escape or are liberated which is inevitable it is usually to late. They usually survive and proliferate and spread. History will support this.