Iguana Downrange!!! (Taco Thursday!)

This BIG egg filled lizard destroyed my 15x15 screened in gazebo tent sunning itself as I watched (them darn razorblade claws just shred stuff!) and then made it's way down to my shooting range.

That wasn't a particularly good choice! Normally I can't safely take these in the neighborhood, but, when it's literally on my range... That's a different story!

The Leshiy 2 .30 made this critter do the random-floppy-dance, and allowed me to subsequently turn this critter into lunch, and a nice skin.

For the tacos:
Just put the good meat (legs, tail, whatever you can get off that's worth cooking up, the 'bacon' can be really pretty good on these too) into a zip-lock with some bay leaves, a garlic clove, some chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper, some olive oil and butter, then keep it in some not-quite-boiling hot water until the meat is falling off the bone tender.
Take the meat off, chop up the taters, and then fry up that goodness in some light oil in a non-stick pan on medium/medium-high until lighly browned and crispy - serve with pico de gallo and/or whatever else you like on tacos. Good stuff!

For the skin:
Carefully pull the hide off the body with your hands, before gutting the lizard (cut along the spine, so you keep the belly as one peice, and it's WAY eaiser) - invert legs, to expose interior, if keeping legs as tubes, then clean all the remaining flesh off, as best you can, and soak in 50% glycerin and 50% alcohol for around 2-3 weeks, then scrape lightly to remove loose material on scales, and pick off remaining meat from skin, and flex to soften. Dry with paper towels.

PXL_20230316_203104104.jpg

PXL_20230316_161250707.jpg

PXL_20230316_164235155.jpg

PXL_20230316_164312437.jpg

PXL_20230316_203114939.MP.jpg

PXL_20230317_030736431.jpg

PXL_20230317_030758552.jpg

This whole iguana hunting thing is quite amusing and ironic to me at the same time. Younger people and especially kids in my country, and probably elsewhere in Europe as well, would pay handsomely to get their hands on an iguana, or maybe even two or three, to have them as pets. Not for food, or for that matter hunting or pesting, as you Americans like to have them, but as PETS. Folks here in this part of the world consider iguanas to be magnificent creatures or even somewhat cute and cudly, but not me however; I'd gun a hefty degree of their population down, would I live in Florida... Which begs me to ask the question, are iguanas also present in other bayou states, besides just in Florida - around the Everglades? I know they can be found in mesoamerica, in places like Honduras, Nicaragua and Mexico, and in the caribbean countries of course, but what about in Lousiana, Alabama and such?

Also, what do these iguana bits in the bag taste like when roasted? Are eggs also edible?
Good hunting though!

This whole iguana hunting thing is quite amusing and ironic to me at the same time. Younger people and especially kids in my country, and probably elsewhere in Europe as well, would pay handsomely to get their hands on an iguana, or maybe even two or three, to have them as pets. Not for food, or for that matter hunting or pesting, as you Americans like to have them, but as PETS. Folks here in this part of the world consider iguanas to be magnificent creatures or even somewhat cute and cudly, but not me however; I'd gun a hefty degree of their population down, would I live in Florida... Which begs me to ask the question, are iguanas also present in other bayou states, besides just in Florida - around the Everglades? I know they can be found in mesoamerica, in places like Honduras, Nicaragua and Mexico, and in the caribbean countries of course, but what about in Lousiana, Alabama and such?

Also, what do these iguana bits in the bag taste like when roasted? Are eggs also edible?
Good hunting though!
Mostly just in Florida, since they tolerate freezing temps really poorly.

Roasted doesn't tend to work well, just because it's a fairly tough meat that needs some time to get tender. Eggs are absolutely edible, but are more like 100% yolk, no white. Didn't use them this time, but thinking about making a carbonara with the next one.

As for pets? If it was legal, I'd offer to send you a large box of them.

Mostly just in Florida, since they tolerate freezing temps really poorly.

Roasted doesn't tend to work well, just because it's a fairly tough meat that needs some time to get tender. Eggs are absolutely edible, but are more like 100% yolk, no white. Didn't use them this time, but thinking about making a carbonara with the next one.

As for pets? If it was legal, I'd offer to send you a large box of them.
Haha, man would I earn a buck selling them on the street, but then again it wouldn't be legal for me to do so :ROFLMAO:
Aha, so they're better off being cooked than roasted. I bet they taste good too, I'd love to try what was cooking in that bag one day.

Why would you not share the reasoning behind the opinion you chose to publicly state in a forum, while citing your history and expertise as a USDA inspector?

I guess I'll go through a list, so folks don't have to wonder what you could possibly be citing.

Beyond unfamiliarity or other unreasonable biases, here are the potential risks I've considered:

1. Pesticides in lawns and other areas the iguana is consuming food from - while a genuine concern, most home owners in South Florida are pretty much on the side of wanting to kill and control vegetation, so protection of it is a lower concern - and we, frankly, have a pretty limited insect population down here anyway, so the need is somewhat lower than it would be elsewhere.

2. Toxins from food sources - toxins acquired in this manner are, without ANY doubt, the primary concern when eating things like lizards that may have a VERY different metabolism from ours, and in fact, the Garrobo can actually chomp down on death apples - I can only assume the cardiotoxins in them would present a pretty serious concern to any human eating the lizard! However, the most common concerns like oleander (oleotoxin) are not known to be consumed by iguanas, and, from my experience, the lizards are relatively choosy and like the best munchies, fruits and flowers being the first choice, and we have endless palm fruit here (interesting related point: No palm fruit is known to be toxic!)

3. Toxins from poisons and other attempts to control the critters - unknown to me, but possible, sure. I'd worry more about this with the squirrels I turn into tacos. (same recipe BTW... works for basically everything except fish)

4. Parasites - sure, it's a lizard, in South Florida - thing probably has 15 diseases and three parasites we don't even have a name for yet. This is why we cook things. :). Not aware of any parasite that is going to survive the cooking process I put this stuff through.
--

Obviously, interested to hear your take here, but I'd ask you to please just skip the PM and post it here so that you can inform everyone such that they might benefit from your knowledge if you actually have something of value to add to this conversation.

Last edited:
I'm a retired Federal Meat and Poultry Inspector for the USDA, I wouldn't eat one of those things for no amount of $$.
You got that right - me either. I shoot upwards of 35 of these damn things a week and I would never consider eating one...but don't judge those who do.

To give everyone a data point of how many of these things we have; 35 ish a week x 4 years in the same 2 acre area of Broward County, FL....and there is no sign of them going away.

They lay up to 70 eggs twice a year....absolutely insane.

do you let the meat sit in the fridge for a week to age or just cook em up? ageing lets the meat get tender, never dealt with a lizard though.
as far as safe to eat lol really? with all the chemicals they pump into our animals and food the little lizard is what scares you? lizard bad, twinkie good.

Nah, I pretty much cook everything I kill immediately - never cared for the added 'flavor' of week old meat - it may be more tender, but tastes like crap. ;-) (feel the same way about dry aged beef and/or venison)

As for those who just think eating this stuff is gross, whatever I'm fine with that - I just have to 'call out' the implication that there's something unsanitary or unsafe about eating these - probably better meat that whatever the USDA calls 'Grade A" :)

Reactions: Bubbacop
Lizards and salmonella. Not a matter of if but when.

You do know that this also applies to birds and their eggs right? As you're probably aware, the USDA is perfectly fine with up to 7.5% of chickens testing postiive after processing, and the industry is VERY proud of the fact they keep this down to aobut 5% or, 1 in 20 chickens.

Of course, it's safe to assume pretty much 100% of iguanas have salmonella, after all, they're reptiles! But they're no more dangerous to handle and prepare than chicken in this regard, and frankly, the bacteria lives in their guts - and I'm NOT taking body shots (they just won't die from that, at least, not quickly enough for me to be comfortable with the idea) - and when I clean them, I'm VERY good at keeping that entire gut package together - often I won't even open the belly up, unless I'm examining the stomach contents or gathering up eggs.

Besides, as I noted earlier, I like to COOK my food before I eat it, and wash my hands, knives and work surfaces well when dealing with raw proteins of any sort, so I generally find salmonella to be a highly managable concern.

And really, I'm a reasonably healthy adult, so even if I was a careless idiot, the worst I'd probably get is a few hours of stomach cramps and a day of mild illness! :)

I think you outta come join me and have a taco. ;-)

chicken= salmonella. should we really go through the list of diseases we get from eating "approved" meat? Im a big advocate for eating what you kill so i see nothing wrong with it. that being said, i do love a steroid filled steak as well as pulled bear meat filled with trichinosis.

chicken= salmonella. should we really go through the list of diseases we get from eating "approved" meat? Im a big advocate for eating what you kill so i see nothing wrong with it. that being said, i do love a steroid filled steak as well as pulled bear meat filled with trichinosis.

Trichinosis is just extra protein and amino acids when cooked properly. ;-)